Why is American literature so shitty?

Why is American literature so shitty?

Melville is the only author we've produced in our entire history who can even stand up to the middle-weight talents of Europe. Maybe Faulkner.

My theory is that it's because all American lit is grounded in realism - it infects even our most out-there writers, Pynchon, say. It's like everything has to have this sort of aw-shucks veneer, with 'realistic' dialogue and recognizable characters and situations - our literature basically hasn't left the Victorian era. The only people I can think of that really break this mold are experimentalists like Barth, Barthelme, and Marcus, but (in my opinion) they're equally shit because all they do is play with form at the expense of content.

Where is the American equivalent to Beckett, Roussel, Kafka, Borges, O'Brien, etc. ?

Attached: IMG_7715.gif (471x670, 111K)

pragmatism

American lit is so based that we basically fucked every other country so hard they can't wear a pair of briefs without getting skid marks in them. Foreign literary movements cannot remove the stain of our rape. Ever.

Attached: franceuniversities.png (661x334, 53K)

Good lit is based in ancient tradition. New worlders lack this, and therefore, there are no good new world authors.
Don't fret, though. Made up nations like Ukraine, Macedonia, and so on lack good authors for the same reason.

>Melville is the only author we've produced in our entire history who can even stand up to the middle-weight talents of Europe
>Hemingway
>Fitzgerald
>Poe
>Steinbeck
>Dean Koontz
Stfu you fucking euroworshipping cuckboi

Lovecraft too. Eat my burger-flavored shit OP.

Op you're correct

same for music, all your composers sound like shitty rodeo bells

and painting as well

oh yeah your films suck compared to European masters

oh yeah and your plays

and your science

Attached: 220px-The_Closing_of_the_American_Mind_(first_edition).jpg (220x354, 23K)

America is a cultureless place. As pointed out, the greatest American intelligentsia is roughly on the same level as the European middle class. In every the worst European cities, you can see the lowest classes reading and discussing literature at cafes. In America, the cultural juggernauts such as Kanye West brag about refusing to read things. It probably has to do with the fact that America is a country founded by the worst of the worst from various societies: zealots, criminals, and other exiled wastes from Europe, the Africans who could not escape slavery, and the Asians and Hispanics too weak to cut it out in their ancestral homelands. Contrast with Canada, which did not throw away its right to European culture and tradition by engaging in a traitorous insurgency over legitimate taxation and then throwing a civil war less than a century later over whether the slaves they imported were human.

Is Twain not liked on here?

>Contrast with Canada
Um, what? What is some significant cultural production from Canada? Serious question. Am I missing out on some goodies here?

>In every the worst European cities, you can see the lowest classes reading and discussing literature at cafes
epic b8 m8 i r8 8/8

Half the notable people that Americans claim are American are actually Canadians.
Another quarter were born somewhere else outside of American soil but later moved there. Such as Nabokov, Einstein, Stravinsky..

America is a young country and for the first few hundred years all people were focusing on was building infrastructure and economy. It takes generations of people developing artistic subcultures to create great art. By the time these were getting under way western art in general underwent a total collapse of form so there was only a tiny window for a few people to contribute.

That being said Moby Dick is astonishing and easily in the highest tier of novels

>your films suck compared to European masters
HA!

Ikr, I had no idea that 60 IQ Somalians and Pakis had such respect for western literature as to discuss it regularly in cafes and kebab stores.

The erou fetishizing on this board really makes no sense if you consider 2/3rds of the meme trilogy is American. Then again we’ve all turned on Cormac as well

Attached: D8A76C64-EF76-4DF2-8BC8-B752AB1148C6.png (519x248, 207K)

Irving
Bryant
Cooper
Whittier
Emerson
Dickinson
Whitman
Hawthorne
Poe
Very
Tuckerman
Thoreau
Henry James
Twain
Wharton
Cather
Stein
Stevens
Anderson
Williams
O’Neil
Fitzgerald
Faulkner
Melville
Welty
Hughes
Warren
Dellilo
Gass
Roth
Barth
Ashbery

etc.

American literary tradition is completely respectable for a ~230 year old nation

European Art was great from day one.

Attached: donau_karanova_2.jpg (470x655, 163K)

Henry James is European literature. Doesn't matter that he is from the US. His whole oeuvre revolves around Europeans being superior to American plebs.

>My theory is that it's because all American lit is grounded in realism

my theory is that ur a fagot

The people who made those undoubtedly had longstanding traditions that informed their art. Some of the neolithic cave paintings show similarity in style extending for thousands of years

Then we get Nabokov unironically and forever

>Then again we’ve all turned on Cormac as well
It's an absolute crock of shit. How many still living European authors can compete with Corncob?
>Inb4 "J.K.ROWLING, burger!"
Fuck you fags.

I know y’all don’t like sci-fi, but half of the good stuff was written by Americans. Dan Simmons, Frank Herbert, Isaac Asimov, William Gibson, Ray Bradbury, Kurt Vonnegut, etc. etc.

Yeah, and it was beautiful all the way back. If America had no art, at this juncture, then maybe it would have a chance of producing good art in the future. The problem is that America does have art. And it's trash. America has already started on the wrong foot, correcting the mistake will probably be too difficult to be feasible.

Attached: getty_kodak_1554505100062_7065038_ver1.0_640_360.jpg (640x360, 187K)

Melville was a citizen of the world. He had seen about all there was to see in his time thanks to his constant voyaging. In contrast, most Americans have a very close minded outlook. Most Americans do not go overseas, or even to Mexico or Canada, or even outside the region they were born in.

kinda true actually, was odded out in america the lack of meet ups discussing Joyce

South America has good literature. The only hope for the US is if it gets taken over almost entirely by it's Spanish speaking population, and the official language is changed to Spanish. Then you would have a majority of plebian squat Indian population, but a minority enclave of elite light skin Spanish speaking intellectuals who would be connected through language and partly through culture with the Spanish language cultural traditions of the rest of the Americas and even Spain to an extant. That's basically the only way to salvage American culture and stave off the growing cultural negroidization of the US.

American upper class has a huge chip on its shoulder and constantly sucks European dick because it'll impress their rich friends more.
American lower classes think art is a waste of time.
Americans really don't care about local artists at all beyond the middle class niche that's into crime stories, horror, fantasy, and other bland young adult stuff. There's a sizable amount of American musicians and writers that had to move to Europe because the quirkiness of their art wasn't appreciated.

>It's bad because it's not European and has influence from brown people
Yea Forums once again proving to be sheltered Euro and wannabe Euro pseuds who are afraid of different perspectives of reality

bump

FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUVK YOU FUCK YOUU FCK YOUUU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUVK YOUUUUIII FUVK YOU GUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUVK YOU FUCK YIU

Attached: original.gif (500x209, 1003K)

thanks for the bump, i guess

>Doesn't matter that he is from the US.
yes it does