What's your favorite sci-fi book?

Mine is Dragon's Egg by R.L. Forward.

Attached: DragonsEgg.jpg (174x252, 64K)

Whats the book about?
I don't have a real favorite Sci-Fi book, I like all of mine. I think the closest I've got is The War of The Worlds.

Nova's fuckin' kino

Hard sci-fi about small lifeforms on a neutron star, a group of scientists on earth detecting the star and launching a mission to go study it as it passes nearish Earth, and the evolutionary development of the life on the star. Strong focus on weird alien physics and different lifespan and how the aliens develop around that.

sounds fucking amazing
do you have any more recommendations involving evolution/contact with different life forms? I'm reading Solaris right now and it's pretty good too

"Surface Tension" - James Blish
>A human colonization ship crash-lands on a distant planet which is Earth-like but whose only landmass is completely covered in shallow puddles of water and mostly microscopic life forms. Normal humans could not survive on this planet, so the crew must genetically engineer their descendants into something that can survive. (Blish coined the term pantropy to refer to this concept.) They create a race of microscopic aquatic humanoids to complete their mission and colonize the planet.

Hard to choose. For me it is a tie between Clockwork Orange and the Book of the New Sun series.

I also loved Dragon's Egg, got it recommended to me by a friend who is a physicist. It really does raise interesting points about time.

My favorite sci-fi book is probably The Star Diaries, or Tales of Pirx the Pilot by Stanislaw Lem. Not quite as hard as Dragon's Egg, but they're funny and you can clearly tell that it's a brilliant mind who wrote them.

Attached: The Star Diaries.jpg (176x286, 12K)

A Scanner Darkly by the Big D. It's also one of the only books to have made me cry. Fuck you.

Attached: 153010.jpg (689x1000, 127K)

All Tomorrows is fucking crazy

Dune and A Canticle for Leibowitz

Attached: 51Vy9nHhU3L._SX325_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (327x499, 37K)

The stars my destination
Based Bester

The first two hyperion books are god tier, especially the first one. It's so chock full of fresh, energetic concepts and characters, it never ever felt like a slog

Attached: Hyperion_cover.jpg (220x383, 24K)

So guys I have
>The Affirmation
>The Inverted World
>Island
>I, Robot
>Second Foundation
>The Fountains of Paradise
>2010: Odyssey Two
>The Ghost from the Grand Banks
>The Futurological Congress
>Cryptozoic!
>The Handmaid's Tale
>1984
>Fahrenheit 451
whit what should I start?

Have you never read any scifi? I would suggest starting with the most discussion worthy essentials of 1984 and 451

You can't go wrong by starting with fahrenheit 451

>Have you never read any scifi?
I've read some.
Other books by most of the authors.
But some I don't know anything about like "The Affirmation", "Cryptozoic!", "The Handmaid's Tale".
So I'm asking for opinions on the books.

I've read The Martian Chronicles.
The book was ok but the 2nd half of it felt more like a collection of short stories than a book.
Is Fahrenheit 451 like that?

>seems interesting
>start reading
>female protagonist

Attached: h6hh.png (399x322, 42K)

The female scientist is just in the beginning. There's an early time-jump to her son actually doing the mission.

roadside picnic, could reread that anytime

Hands down my favorite would be Entropy of Imagination. The story is based on a lot of ideas that are different from most other books. The main one being that it is a world " running out of ideas" and that their world needs MORE entropy. Pretty opposite to a lot of sci fi books like the last question.

Mission of Gravity by Hal Clement

>The story is set on a highly oblate planet named Mesklin, which has surface gravity that varies between 700 g at the poles and 3 g at the equator. The story is told from the points of view of one of the local intelligent life forms and a human explorer. The locals are centipede-like, in order to withstand the enormous gravity, and terrified of even small heights (because in 700 g even a tiny fall is fatal)

The Mote in God's Eye. I only read it because I saw someone mention it here and I liked the name but it explores this concept very well and ended up being a great read.

Canticle for Libowitz
Hyperon
The stars my destination
This are probably my favourites, there might me some more but sci fi has only so many drawn books and really only a few that are actually really good.