A Good Joyce Thread

Given the clustercluck that is this Let's have a good thread on Joyce. I'll start: Joyce's parody/homage of The Wasteland, given that it's April right now

Rouen is the rainiest place, getting
Inside all impermeables, wetting
Damp marrow in drenched bones.
Midwinter soused us coming over Le Mans
Our inn at Niort was the Grape of Burgundy
But the winepress of the Lord thundered over that grape of Burgundy
And we left it in a hurgundy.
(Hurry up, Joyce, it's time!)

I heard mosquitoes swarm in old Bordeaux
So many!
I had not thought the earth contained so many
(Hurry up, Joyce, it's time)

Mr Anthologos, the local gardener,
Greycapped, with politeness full of cunning
Has made wine these fifty years
And told me in his southern French
Le petit vin is the surest drink to buy
For if 'tis bad
Vous ne l'avez pas payé
(Hurry up, hurry up, now, now, now!)

But we shall have great times,
When we return to Clinic, that waste land
O Esculapios!
(Shan't we? Shan't we? Shan't we?)

Attached: JITCE#.png (640x883, 276K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ndOk4-Jj_Cc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

youtu.be/ndOk4-Jj_Cc

What is the role of the Jews(as an entity with its own evil will) in Joyce's worldview

Attached: ket.png (458x233, 99K)

fuck your soon-to-be dead knee jerk thread you literal ractionary little maggot. Back to retarddit for you pussy.

Trying too hard

What’s your favourite section of Ulysses, user?

Cute picture user

Fav Ulysses quote;
“Here I am.”

Following a riverrun of prep work to read the Wake in a few weeks. Reading Giordano Bruno and Vico at the moment.

I really hate how tumblr this shitty picture is

What is U.P?

Not my fave but I liked near the end of Ithaca where he quickly recapitulates the day's events.

"Love laughs at locksmiths"

I think a lot about Mr Duffy from A Painful Case, I feel like he is one of Joyce's most endearing characters. I can easily see him browsing Yea Forums had he been alive now. Wanting to write, to write a masculine book of philosophy, afraid to write anything emotionally poignant, despite having good observational skills. Can't remember if he appears in Ulysses. I remember in Lestrygonians, Mrs Breen says one of the Aunts from The Dead dies.

I hate how Joyce is such a meme on this board. Joyce really is a fascinating writer and I find Ulysses eternally readable. While Pynchon's meme status almost enhances his work (the man references Kojima for fucks sake), Joyce's meme status really detracts and diminishes his work. It's impossible to have a sincere thread on him. None of these plebs even know who Parnell is.

>I hate how Joyce is such a meme on this board.
LE MAYMAYS! OMG I LOVE MEMES! MEMES MEMES MEMES! HAHAHA NICE LAY MEME user! MEME MEANS BAD! ITS TALKED ABOUT HERE ALL THE TIME CAUSE LEMAIM AND THEREFORE BAD LMAOOOOO XDDD

Are you okay?

dude memes lmao omg like I know this guy who has a discussion thread every day and has for 19 years is a LE MAYMAY LMAOOOOOOOO but I actually like them!

guys help his schizo daughter wont stop trying to ride my ding dong help me please

Attached: beckett.jpg (300x395, 23K)

Just finished Ulysses first time a couple days ago. What's everyone's favorite chapters? I'd love to hear why you like them too

For me, it's probably Proteus, Hades, Circe, and Ithaca. Granted, I only really enjoyed Proteus when I had reread it, since my mind was still getting used to the book during the first read. All the other chapters I really liked the first read around.

I love how, in those recapitulations, he mentions his findings on whether Grecian female statues have assholes or not, which are inconclusive unfortunately. This after literally hundreds and hundreds of pages since the last mention of it.

(Portrait)
The ivy whines upon the wall
And whines and twines upon the wall
The ivy whines upon the wall
The yellow ivy upon the wall
Ivy, ivy up the wall
Did anyone ever hear such drivel? Lord Almighty! Who ever heard of ivy whining on the wall?

(Ulysses)
Reading two pages apiece of seven books every night, eh? I was young. You bowed to yourself in the mirror, stepping forward to applause earnestly, striking face. Hurray for the Goddamned idiot! Hray! No-one saw: tell no-one. Books you were going to write with letters for titles. Have you read his F? O yes, but I prefer Q. Yes, but W is wonderful. O yes, W. Remember your epiphanies on green oval leaves, deeply deep, copies to be sent if you died to all the great libraries of the world, including Alexandria? Someone was to read them there after a few thousand years, a mahamanvantara. Pico della Mirandola like. Ay, very like a whale. When one reads these strange pages of one long gone one feels that one is at one with one who once...

My favorite chapters are Proteus and Scylla & Charybdis.

Might be a little biased in favor of Stephen chapters since Portrait is my favorite book

"Nazi" OP from the other thread here. I read part 1 yesterday and have checked out some analyses. Other than references to obscure stuff and not understanding other languages the only thing I missed was the beginning of the perspective change when Stephen was taking a piss which I thought was just the tide, but upon re-reading I see where I should have picked it up. I was also starting to pass out on melatonin. Tfw too stupid to understand joyce ;_;