Witcher saga

Sup Yea Forums,

Anyone read these? Was thinking of giving them a spin. What am I in for?

Attached: B05CD45F-77BA-4A8A-A757-C2C4AA901636.jpg (296x500, 43K)

they’re shit

the first one (the last wish) is cheesy but they get solid as the series goes on

Poor worldbuilding but decent plot

Entry level fantasy

Picked up audio book instead. Holy shit what a mistake. There’s so much dialog I have no idea who is talking. Lack of motivations and characters seem flat. No idea why ciri is important to anyone.
>mfw yennifer tests ciri and talk about magic and virginity. All those ability tests were bullshit.

Attached: CADB3D5A-236A-45CC-9B84-045E69A8BA16.jpg (352x395, 13K)

I read The Last Wish, Season of Storms, and Sword of Destiny. I am in the middle of reading Blood of Elves right now. I enjoyed them enough, but they are not to be taken too seriously.

Attached: ymqqr7bhgy111[1].jpg (332x443, 28K)

Kek. Ok.

Nothing deep, but a fun read.

You skipped two books genius.
>ability tests were bullshit
point

head

Reading publishing order.

Wtf you talking about? There’s hardly any descriptions of shit. Were they bullshit or not. They seemed like bullshit. Nothing made any sense. Ciri kept complaining about virginity and nonsense.

This. The concept of Witchers are a nice idea suited to unique low stakes vignettes. As soon as the author transitions from short stories to actually trying to write a novel it all falls apart.

Both in-world chronological and published order start with two other books before the saga.

Yennefer were just checking if she's intelligent and probably also having a laugh, she knew Ciri could use magic (Ciri's strong, uncontrolled power was the reason Geralt had her take care of Ciri in the first place).

Hmm. Wtf. The publishing order I read had those first two come later. God damn it.

You need to read The Last Wish and Sword of Destiny before starting the saga, these books establish characters and world before starting the saga, and two of the stories in SoD ('sword of destiny' and 'something more') play as epilogues to the saga.

It's... ok. If you've played the games first, they might be a bit boring for you.

Honestly, the biggest problem I had with the books is that the world building is pretty shit. It reads like generic fantasy without much to it. the witchers themselves are alright, but makes you wonder why if they're so super duper powerful, that some Kingdoms/Empires don't try to re-create them themselves.

Another issue I had (especially in Blood of Elves) is that Witchers are designed to be supreme monster slayers, but the actual monster slaying itself takes a backseat to everything else.

Not only that, but Geralt is a protagonist that seems to be good at everything, every woman he comes across wants him, and every man hates/fears/wants to be him too. Thats fine for a video game character but its hard to connect with him in a book because he's devoid of personality and almost every other character is more interesting to learn about. Hell, I wanted to know more about Dandelion because he seems to get into the stupidest shit that he brings on himself.

Other than that? Not a bad read overall.

Basically this.

I couldn't get through The Last Wish. Some of the most boring and pointless S&S stories I've ever read, that for some reasons had random references to Fairy Tales that went always like this:

"Oh you know there was this bitch that lived with seven dwarfs"
"ha"
"hahaha"

Just read Conan or Elric instead.

Nope Sword of Destiny (both book and particular short story) happen way before saga ends.

Only takes like two dozens of men to bring one down. Strong, but not a the strategic level. How would you know nobody tried to recreate them anyway?
There was plenty of monster slaying in the first two books (before saga begins).

the 2 first books with short stories turning fairy tales into edgy stuff are gimmicky but fun

the big story afterwards is garbage

well, some books before in the story with her mother they make a point that you have to fuck to get magic, it's kind of part of the story.

but then they drop it afterwards

>Not only that, but Geralt is a protagonist that seems to be good at everything, every woman he comes across wants him, and every man hates/fears/wants to be him too.
kek, it's funny when he is so depressed about being weird in the first books, but still gets to fuck everything

The last book has the most absurd amount of narrators I've ever seen.

> Ciri is narrating
> Some irrelevant water nymph bitch is narrating
> That monk dude who wanted to fuck Ciri is narrating
> Newspaper cutouts from the future
> All-knowing narrator
> School children reciting ancient history is used as a framing device

All in the same book, I mean for fucks sake.

I mostly liked it, less boring that way, but we spend too much fucking time with the lady of the lake in far future.

That second compilation of short stories was awful, last one with child ciri was ok. The first "compilation", was O.K.

Holy reddit

which was the worst one? the one where he gets cucked?

The short story collections were fun. The main saga is such inane wish-fulfillment wankery, it's hard to believe it's by the same author.

World doesn't feel fleshed out enough - which is fine for the shorts - and the plot gets progressively more disjointed as the series progresses.

Didn't even post that whether I liked it. He was just being a dumbass.

But he was a stud from the beginning if that is what you mean by wish fulfillment. In short stories he never loses, in saga he gets fucked up a lot, only to ultimately die without achieving anything (emperor would save Ciri anyway). I agree that short stories were more fun.

It's because all the material was exhausted by the middle of Book Three and that's being generous. By the end he was just telling random unrelated stories off the top of his head

Attached: gibkowski.png (1360x778, 159K)

Hey, Fuck you. The tests were bullshit. it’s not being a dumbass, it’s stating a fact.

They were normal intelligence tests. They obviously weren't for testing magic aptitude, Ciri was sent to Yennefer specifically because she had vast magical talent that was dangerous if uncontrolled. Fucking brainlet.

Yennefer just motivated her by telling her that they were for magic aptitude testing. I fucking got it when I read it 15 years ago as a high school kid.
You should be ashamed of yourself.

Read all the books about 3 times over. I enjoy them, but I have a high threshold for bad writing. Short stories are pretty good. I picked up witcher 3 after finishing the short stories, and played/started reading the novels at the same time. I was actually able to get invested in the plot, which helped me overlook the shit fest that was the last book.

>But he was a stud from the beginning if that is what you mean by wish fulfillment.

That's not what I meant, though. It's more a fantasy about the author's perfect magic teen waifu than Geralt.

Who? Yennefer is a piece of shit and Ciri was a stupid brat. Some side chars were cute if lacking personality.

It's on par with Brandon Sanderson stuff, it's good but nothing amazing or ground breaking
Read em they're enjoyable, I prefer the audio book to the actual book for this series.

It's cliche as fuck. the author crams as many twists and turns as possible to make it seem unconventional and unpredictable but it happens so much it becomes mundane. Geralt is unabashedly Gary Stu even if the author does his damndest to give him flaws, he stills ends up being a contemporary of that other shitty character in the Name of the Wind, although If I were to be forced to read one of these and eat shit, I'd choose the withcer and a bowl of poop.