What should I expect?

What should I expect?

Attached: image.jpg (440x717, 77K)

please start with reading The Luzhin Defence or Invitation to a beheading.

to not finish it because you have no discipline

Good fapping material. Prose like a gray pudding. Peruse through like an xnxx binge, with haste but without taste. 3/10

I dont have those books. Just bought this in my local bookstore on a whim. Dont know what to expect except pedophilia stuff?

It's a short book though

Cringe and disgusting.

Nabokov, Vladimir. Dislike him. A cheap sensationalist, clumsy and verbose. A polylinguist, a claptrap novelist and a slapdash custodian. Some of his scenes are extraordinarily dull. Nobody takes his inaccessible journalism seriously.
Pale FIre. His best work, though an obvious and shameless imitation of Dante's "Inferno."
Ada. Dislike it intensely.
Lolita. A formless and dull mass of phony folklore, a cold pudding of a book. Conventional and drab, redeemed from utter insipidity only by infrequent snatches of heavenly intonations. Detest it. A cancerous growth of fancy word-tissue hardly redeems the dreadful joviality of the folklore and the easy, too easy, allegory. Indifferent to it, as to all regional literature written in dialect. A tragic failure and a frightful bore.
Alita. Dislike it intensely. Ghastly repulsive.

Holy oak!
This is fucking based.

A good fucked-up fairy tale splendidly written by Nabokov.

>polylinguist
Burgers unironically believe this is a bad thing lmao

>Pale FIre
he is a hack.

>And from the inside, too, I'd duplicate
>Myself, my lamp, an apple on a plate

Fucking hell

>poly-linguist
>bad
You're an idiot.

easy on the rhetoric.

Lots of road trips and lots of French.

First few pages of the book are... different. I have to get used to the artsy, informal way Nabokov writes so I hope this shit gets going. He already seems like he could be a bit of a prick

so this is the guy who writes the scathing reviews of other authors

>prophet
>bad
no u

Nabception

The scene at the cliff was quite cinematic.

I'm pretty sure the poem in Pale Fire is not meant to be good at all.

I don't remember a cliff. Do you mean the lake when he considers drowning his wife?

>not recognizing that this is a rearranged quote BY Nabokov about James Joyce's works
lurk more

keep in mind the narrator may be unreliable

the poem is good at times, but Nabokov's goal is to make you think John Shade is a hack. he seems to have succeeded too well
t. just read Gorgias
kek

Knowing you, wood.

It's not the first time I hear that, but I really don't see how he's an unreliable narrator.

I am convinced that 90% of people who say they have read Lolita have not, in fact, read Lolita. I would be surprised if 90% of its claimed audience is even capable of pronouncing a majority of words in the book.

It is much harder to read than people expect, but once read it is not that hard to understand.

I've been obsessively studying Lolita for 3+ years. I know the book inside and out, and yet, it's always a different book when I read it. A masterpiece.

Meme stuff aside, just enjoy the ride. The writing is a blast.

I'm French and have to agree that it's not an easy book in English, spending a lot of time looking up words while reading it.
But overall it's a good book, I'll reread it later since I put it down for two years and picked up again halfway through yesterday.