What should I read next which is highly "aesthetic", and classic? I love Shakespeare, I love Homer...

What should I read next which is highly "aesthetic", and classic? I love Shakespeare, I love Homer. I've read Hamlet and The Odyssey. I didn't quite care for Dante's Inferno, because I don't like his religion, I don't like how it would have been beautiful in Italian but I read a translation, he's just walking from person to person asking about their sins and it gets tedious, and it's anachronistic as hell and requires notes to understand.

I'm basically looking for fun high tier literature. Preferably something in English so I can appreciate the phonetics instead of just the ideas. I plan on reading Joyce, and more Homer and Shakespeare eventually, but not right now, even though he would likely be the prime choice. Thank you.

Attached: james-joyce-life-works.jpg (800x458, 36K)

Other urls found in this thread:

resources.saylor.org/wwwresources/archived/site/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/James-Joyce-Literary-Tastes.pdf?fbclid=IwAR38YpovkY4TdaqrQzkVRsrY6mz2ok4xA4DWprfB--zlSGeCg7-w2WlwOnE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Joyce, James. Great. A favorite between the ages of 20 and 40, and thereafter. Let people compare me to Joyce by all means, but my English is patball to Joyce's champion game. A genius.

Ulysses. A divine work of art. Greatest masterpiece of 20th century prose. Towers above the rest of Joyce's writing. Noble originality, unique lucidity of thought and style. Molly's monologue is the weakest chapter in the book. Love it for its lucidity and precision.
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. Never liked it. A feeble and garrulous book.
Finnegans Wake. A formless and dull mass of phony folklore, a cold pudding of a book. Conventional and drab, redeemed from utter insipidity only by infrequent snatches of heavenly intonations. Detest it. A cancerous growth of fancy word-tissue hardly redeems the dreadful joviality of the folklore and the easy, too easy, allegory. Indifferent to it, as to all regional literature written in dialect. A tragic failure and a frightful bore.

Shakespeare, William. Read complete works between 14 and 15. One would like to have filmed him in the role of the King's Ghost. His verbal poetic texture is the greatest the world has ever known, and immensely superior to the structure of his plays as plays. It is the metaphor that is the thing, not the play. A genius.

Homer. Not particularly fond of him.

Dante. Enormously gifted.

Hulme?

Who is this, why should I read him, and what by him is worth reading?

Main guy in the English Modernist clique which produced that meme you read, Joyce. The fact you do not know this suggests your reading of the novel was not backed up with proper research.

I did some googling and every source said Homer and Shakespeare, and at the most add Dante to this list of 3. I've never seen Hulme mentioned. I thought for a quarter second that you misspelled Hume, desu.

>looking for fun
>I dont like his religion
>t. Brainlet

Stick to one movement & read widely. If you are new to art, read secondary sources, as well. It seems you are stuck between Renaissance theatre & Modernism. I suggest the latter.

Why is Hulme not on this list of Joyce's influences? It would be nice to know if there was a specific book by Hulme that Joyce read, I don't plan on reading all his works.

resources.saylor.org/wwwresources/archived/site/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/James-Joyce-Literary-Tastes.pdf?fbclid=IwAR38YpovkY4TdaqrQzkVRsrY6mz2ok4xA4DWprfB--zlSGeCg7-w2WlwOnE

Joyce is a meme. I've already fucking told you & you aren't listening. Be a mediocrity if you like. Fuck if I care.

??? I wasn't trying to be rude. I only wanted to know what work by him I should read.

bump

What the fuck did you just say to me you little pseudo-æsthete? Ill have you know I graduated at the top of my class at Belvedere College, and have been involved in numerous literary movements throughout continental Europe, and I have over 300 confirmed references in the first HALF of my epic Ulysses.

>I love Shakespeare
>I didn't quite care for Dante's Inferno, because I don't like his religion
Absolute brainlet.

Wasn't Shakespeare a secret Catholic? A lot of religious subtext in his writing.

Are you the same guy who had a mental breakdown in another thread over Dante saying Sodomites were burning in hell?
By the way, it’s the Divine Comedy, not the Inferno.

By the way, Shakespeare and Joyce are both very religious.

Gravity's Rainbow, my dude

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-02-04 at 11.49.18 AM.png (530x48, 11K)

>By the way, Shakespeare and Joyce are both very religious.
Joyce wasn't actually religious though. He just liked the "pomp and order" of Catholic mass, which he attended which was apparently spoken in Latin. That's a very literary thing to do, and understandable. But Joyce was apparently an atheist.

And I'm not annoyed at Dante because he's Catholic. I'm annoyed at how his book reflects Catholic ideas. Shakespeare nor Joyce are in any way annoying with their religion.

He one hundred percent was not. He literally wept on Easter mass in his later years. He hated the Catholic church, or at least what it had become.

and you're being annoying with your incessant tipping, kill yourself

>Shakespeare nor Joyce are in any way annoying with their religion.
You have a retard’s understanding of Shakespeare and Joyce

Dante is boring

That's quite a straw man to compare me to some fictional character of an atheist which for all I know never even existed outside of parody. Why I'm hostiled for my views as an atheist I'll never know... except for the suspicion that it's because of people's fear and prejudice which keeps them caught in their world view. That's the insidiousness of people, their world views.

True.. must be because theyre afraid of your nihilistic wit

Nihilism should just be replaced with the word honesty. There's so much good blood with the word honesty, the word nihilism has become bastardized by people who don't understand it in its purest sense. It is intellectually dishonest to say that one's morality is true, it's just the prejudice and bias of whomsoever the morality serves. I don't claim to have such a morality, I simply act according to how I see fit, which is what all the Christian moralists do with their multiple religious sects anyways. I am a sect of myself, and I happen to think I do quite a good job, much better than any religious person could ever do. In fact, I'd say religious people are bereft of judgment, they're clouded by their ignorant books, written by people from different times with different biases and world views.

wouldn't this lead someone to developing a wicked sense of humor?

I'd imagine it might benefit them, sure. I am a fan of George Carlin.

ah! A fellow enlightened gentleman much like myself!

I wouldn't use the word "enlightened," but I do always aspire to soar above the everyday illusions of the many.

You are an imposter! You impersonate a great sumptuous mind with your cheap parody.

>he's just walking from person to person asking about their sins and it gets tedious, and it's anachronistic as hell
Absolute brainlet.