Hello, smoothbrain here, could you please explain what makes Thomas Pinecone 'post-modern'...

Hello, smoothbrain here, could you please explain what makes Thomas Pinecone 'post-modern'? Does it have anything to do with Derrida?

Attached: A-879893-1519473954-1980.jpeg.jpg (237x300, 8K)

Watch that cartoon "Duck Amuck". Then think about what that would look like as a book.

m8 pls that word doesn't mean anything you just use it as a neutral or positive descriptor to signal youre leftwing or a negative descriptor to signal right wing

Post-modernism is all about the rejection of a metaplot to the human experience. There is no path between good and evil, there is no arc, there is only what we make. All of his books explore this theme beautifully. Think of Doc in Inherent Vice trying to connect a random and chaotic string of happenstance into a crime caper, or Herbert Stencils quest for V. The human condition is to spend a meager lifetime trying to inflict order onto chaos. Even the plot structure of his novels adheres to this belief and all begin to wander in the third act. Even the structure of his sentences and paragraphs careens wildly between sparse informative language and poetic daydreaming. I can’t help but admire a craftsmen who works such finely detailed thematically into his work.

Want to note that I am certifiably brain damaged and could be totally off here but that was my impression from reading Vice and V

>poetic daydreaming
this is the impression I got from reading V.

Glad I’m not crazy I guess. Read anything other than V?

Not yet, but I want to. I just have too many books I want to read, and I only manage about 15-20 books a year

I feel that, I’ve only read V and Vice but I think I will start Gravity’s Rainbow this summer maybe.

Why are his books so addictive?

They’re just good I suppose

Jokes, gags, laffs.

Same, doesnt help that I'm a slow reader and I'm more drawn towards big complicated (at least for me) books.

>Hello, smoothbrain here, could you please explain what makes Thomas Pinecone 'post-modern'? Does it have anything to do with Derrida?
write your own essay

Attached: oof.png (1470x209, 45K)

Stop watching Jordan Peterson videos

dan the man?

Attached: dan-schneider-1.jpg (900x750, 71K)

who here was in the wrong?

Attached: refs.png (1286x1935, 156K)

You're on a good path here, but instead of
>trying to inflict order onto chaos
try to frame it in terms of paranoia, which can do both (chaos->order, order->chaos).

You're correct that order plays a big part in his work, but in a lot of ways, order is the lying, controlling, almost '''evil''' of the West (this is very evident in GR and M&D); a standard Pynchon example of this is calculus, trying order every single point in time and reduce it into something objectively measurable. Spirituality, intuition, presence are postulated as possible solutions to the onslaught of 'order' and often various peoples (like the Herero's in GR and Native Americans in M&D) are seen as living coherently with a sort of 'chaos' in a much more wholesome symbiosis with the world.

If you liked his work and his craftsmanship, I seriously recommend you read GR, it's an absolute masterpiece of what you just described; I caught a lot of it, but when I read some secondary sources it still blew my mind the level of detail he works in.

>Post-modernism is all about the rejection of a metaplot to the human experience
I'd argue that's what Modernism is: the deprecation of plot (among other things). Post-Modernism takes it a step further: the deliberate subversion of plot.

Nah, modernism still subscribes to the metanarrative of 'progress'. Post-modernism is 'post' modern because it rejects the modernist trajectory of history in favour of the idea that elements of the past perpetually intrude on the construction of the present (modernism does this too, but with a sense of forward motion and vitality rather than stagnation and death). There are no vanguards in post-modernity, just those talented few who know how to reanimate corpses as though they had never been dead.