What are some good books about the tarot?

What are some good books about the tarot?
I want to learn more about it.

Attached: maj13.jpg (350x600, 111K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Holistic-Tarot-Integrative-Approach-Personal/dp/158394835X
shogix.net/en-links#books
learntarot.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Tarot decks commonly come with a basic instruction booklet which gives basic information about each card, which gives you ideas for how to interpret each card. Just get yourself a tarot deck.

Tarot is evil.

Yes, it is, but not in the metaphysical sense that you mean. Tarot is only evil, in exactly the same sense that Christianity is: the promulgation of fictions and pseudo-knowledge which have a net negative effect on human development. Because that is the proper criterion for good and evil.

Meditations on the Tarot

Read Eliphas Levi's History of Magic and Secrets of Magic.

You can also read Aleister Crowley but beware.

this

Which deck should I get?
It looks like the most common ones are the Marseilles tarot and the Rider-Waite tarot. Is one of these better than the other or does it not matter?

This is really good but explicitly Christian.

amazon.com/Holistic-Tarot-Integrative-Approach-Personal/dp/158394835X is nice as a reference, it is practically orientated. I'd suggest you real more about Hermeticism generally since Tarot is part of the larger Western esoteric tradition.

Marseilles/RWS for your first because of the popularity You can find out what the symbols mean, people discus them, etc. I suggest RWS.

Attached: 1552771113310.png (400x397, 58K)

Calvino, castle of crossed destinies

The Thoth Tarot is another good deck and pic related is a good introduction to it, if you want to learn more about it get Aleister Crowley's Book of Thoth
If you get the Marseilles deck get Alejandro Jodorowsky's book The Way of the Tarot
The Pictorial Key to the Tarot is by A.E. Waite explaining the symbolism behind his deck

Attached: 517149tDKZL._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (329x499, 42K)

Doont mess wit dem caads boi, deybs pure ebil

>Yugioh kids ITT

>promulgation of fictions and pseudo-knowledge
it’s just interpretation of symbols

lol :3

>Butterflies in my head :3

yeah yeah yeah btw there was a post earlier of some gay shit with my emoticon. I am not gay and I don't like gay shit okay thank you :3

the rider-waite is the classic tarot deck used by many "orthodox" career tarot readers, i.e. new age faggots who make a living charging people per minute to tell them if their husband is cheating or not by giving noncommittal and vague answers so as to have plausible deniability in case a divorce/murder results. so if you want what the pros use, go with rider-waite

since Yea Forums is also a leading culture board, it should be pointed out that the Rider-Waite-Smith deck (properly so-called, as Smith is the actual artist of the images which have captured the modern imagination, and so is really the most meaningful creative contributor) is a reversed line-trace of Dürer's "Knight, Death and the Devil", one of his masterpieces. I realized this quite quickly upon getting my own deck.

Attached: example.jpg (800x1037, 341K)

I found tarot readings to be an extremely useful self-reflection tool.

Can I use tarot cards without knowing what they mean? That is, can I just buy a deck and not read anything about it and still find something useful in it? Or will it just be pretty pictures?

Fucking utilitarian

Reading without knowing the common interpretations might be better

Do a one-card reading on me off of OP’s pic: why do i feel drawn to self-help books as of late?

If you can’t do it, then you probably need to learn the meanings.

Paul Huson's Mystical Origins of the Tarot.
Shows you all systems at once in each card, so you can compare them and see why certain cards have certain meanings.

It has Marseille, Etteillia, Golden Dawn, Picatrix, and Waite-Smith. Dense but not hard

For Thoth Tarot the definitive is The Book of Thoth, but it's good to read Mathers' Liber T and Duquette's Understanding the Thoth Tarot first. The Book of Thoth is one of the last writings Crowley made at the end of his life so it's gonna be dense and it's full of references to his own magical system.

Both Waite and Thoth decks are based on Mather's Liber T so when you read that you understand what the decks add or alter

Attached: 1547189761692.gif (660x780, 201K)

bump

shogix.net/en-links#books

>You can also read Aleister Crowley but beware
Yes, he may leap out of the book and try to strangle you.

Attached: pepe_disapproving.jpg (499x481, 28K)

Kill yourself.

>Smith is the actual artist of the images which have captured the modern imagination, and so is really the most meaningful creative contributor
Not really. She painted what Waite told her to, and the actual pictures are so murky and indistinct the details are lost. Thankfully there are many "cleaned-up" versions of the Waite deck now available.

>can I be a wizard without doing my homework
No.

They're just game cards. When did they start being used fortune telling faggotry?

>how do I search engine

The 15th-century Mantegna Tarot was used for moral instruction, you pseud.

Do you want me to kick your ass?
literal non sequitur

Mouni Sadhu has a book on the tarot, but it might be a bit advanced

Try looking up what words mean.

Fortune-telling predates playing cards by a long fucking way. If it wasn't the first thing the tarot was used for, it was a very close second.

Fortune telling does not predate competitive games, my dude.

I said it predated playing cards. Do you even English?

>my emoticon
sure :3

I’ve got the book of azathoth deck and the art is fantastic.

I recommend either the Rider Waite, Marseilles, Hermetic, or Thoth tarots for beginner's. Whichever appeals most to you.

Meditations on the Tarot is an excellent primer on the esoteric worldview and major arcana albeit with an odd Catholic slant and not good for divination with the minor pips.

The Quabalistic Tarot by Robert Wang is a classic for divination. In all its complexity. Good if you want to learn all the baggage. Probably the best book to get and refer back to.

Way of the Tarot by Jodorowski is excellent for learning Marseilles and has a stripped down intuitive psychic shamanistic approach which resonates a lot with me as a chaote.

Book of Thoth is essential for Thoth deck. Duquette is for turboplebs.

I think Austin Osman Spare has a short primer on reading playing cards...

Is there a mystic/magic(k) reading list?

The Occult Philosophy
Golden Dawn
Liber ABA
The Book of Pleasure
Initiation into Hermetics
Liber Null & Psychonaut
Thundersqueak

Good beginner stuff:
Bunning, Learning The Tarot
Pollack, 78 Degrees of Wisdom.

Bunning's website is decent.
learntarot.com/
A heads-up about Pollack: she's a tranny, if that kind of things matters to you. She also wrote a run of Doom Patrol. It's not recommended. Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol run is, however, fantastic. Exposure to Grant Morrison may improve your tarot.

>Thoth tarot for beginners
Yikes. Thoth is confusing.

Attached: q5OL30E.jpg (250x174, 5K)

Yes, you can. In the same way as you could learn to drive without getting an instructor or learning what the controls of a car do. It'd take you ages and you'd likely come out a worse driver at the end of it.

>the promulgation of fictions and pseudo-knowledge which have a net negative effect on human development.
If you believe fiction has a negative effect on human knowledge you're on the wrong board.

98% of magick is unironic LARPing. My honest opinion is to stay away from the Golden Dawn inspired ceremonial shit. It's mostly a waste of time and psued af. Check out the literature of Late Antiquity. Read up on Middle and Neo Platonism. Read the Corpus Hermetica. If you have a background in Biblical studies, read the Nag Hammadi library. The entire basis for the Western magick tradition is in that body of literature. No robes required.

Wouter J. Hanegraaf

Very piss-poor, disingenuous take which intentionally misread what I wrote. Fiction, of course, is important to human imagination (moral and otherwise) and is a valid means of self-expression.

The trouble arises when people mistake fiction for non-fiction.

>Aleister Crowley
I can't bother to reply to everyone mentioning him, nor can find the right words, but he tends to be more flashy, sensational, not very very different from silly English mysticians from Golden Dawn, when it comes to occult related stuff, plus plenty of his ideas come from his invention.

The tarot is about possibilities, imagination, speculation, intuition, these generate insight. It's a useful tool, it works. Your posts have demonatrated no understaning of what it is or what it does. Have you used it?

Fair point though, that was disingenuous of me. Mitigation: late night flippant post. You seem far too assured about what constitutes fiction and what it does.

typically if you want to play to the roots of the decks, they are supposed to be received as gifts

way to reveal you're a shithead zoomer

Divination is fine.

I think he means take it with a grain of salt

It was a parlor game same as the standard 52-card deck but with less history.

Nothing wrong with Golden Dawn. They did a lot of good early comparative religious study and at least attempted to practice what they learned unlike armchair scholars.

In my experience Rider-Waite is the closest to a ‘standard’ and has the most material out there for beginners.

Tarot is bullshit. Just like the i-ching.

this is you

Attached: down syndrome jay z.jpg (323x230, 10K)

Meditations on the Tarot