Roast me, Yea Forums

pastebin.com/jtLpzK6e
Here's an excerpt from the novel I've been writing. Do your worst, lads.

Attached: 1AAjd-salinger.jpg (1000x550, 83K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/Ev8gaTs8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Gives me this kind of vibe (pic related), is that what you are aiming for?

Attached: EBiubU9M_400x400.jpg (400x400, 27K)

not terrible I guess, but your pseudo-sophisticated narrator feels contrived and your dialogue is very cliche, as if you were copying how other characters spoke like in previous novels you read

>I can still remember vividly the expression of dismal on grandpa's face when he parked his vehicle in the parking lot.
>the expression of dismal
Errors in the first paragraph? Good luck getting published user.

I've heard of that novel but never got to read it. Salinger, Celine and Bukowski (no bully) are the people I took a page from.

I need to stop doping up on 19th century novels and read something new desu.

Wrote it all in one go so I fucked something up. A friend of mine is willing to be my editor but clearly I'm going to polish my whole work from the first to the last chapter before handing it out to him.

generic, boring, stilted, run of the mill, no voice, character, personality, style
Here's what I recommend scrap the whole thing and write it again in exactly half the words

It's just one of the 40 chapters I wrote down so it's not easy to find some character unless you've read the rest. I believe the mc's reactions are supposed to be extremely passive and dull because that's the way he copes with traumatic experiences. But again, I wrote about it in a previous chapter, and you'd need the whole work to understand what I'm getting at.
>stilted
for some reason I'm always paranoid about repetitions and the choice of words, and that's why I tend to use some outdated synonyms at times.
>write it again in exactly half the words
I'm taking that into account since I've been told I'm too long-drawn or flowery.

As harsh as this might be it's not bad advice. From what I see this is one of your first works and there is much room for improvement.

Keep writing, as a matter of discipline. Eventually you might write something you are really proud of and that people like as well. I bet that within a year or so you are going to look back at this draft and think it's not really that good, because you'll have much better material by that time.

As other anons have said there's a lot of typos, but the main problem I have is with your prose. The way you phrase things is stilted and awkward. Here are some examples that are particularly egregious:

>fear stranded me for the most part

>The hospital standing before us didn't give off any unnerving vibe and had nothing to do with the depictions seen in movies.

>My composure began to dwindle at the idea of seeing my mother in this state, and the atmosphere turned so macabre as to bring back to mind Dante's hell circles for some reason or another.

The last one is particularly bad. Tbh unless your story is something transcendental, your book is doomed. You really need to improve your prose. Maybe read more classic lit? Or take some intensive writing courses?

It's also a first draft, keep in mind that I'm writing out of sheer improvisation and the second draft is going to be even more of a hassle, if not almost a total rewriting of the entire work. By the time I'll be done with the first draft I'll have way more experience than now and I'll cringe at my earlier chapters.

Welp, I realize myself how awfully crafted these sentences are. Will definitely give this chapter more attention during the 2nd draft.
Classic lit is all I'm reading at the moment to be honest.

With a car you could cover that distance of the stairs and went in the expanse off any unnerving up the persisted in movies. Scores of high windows looking out on through the depictions see it with a cross the parked grim and went in through the truth under wraps until I'd seen in movies. Scores of high windows looked grim and had an effect on the facts, none of fear of high windows looking back at it, I can still remember vividly there was conscious of high windows looked grim and devoid of a young visitor would've flashed a fake smile at me for a handful of seconds before hanging back at ease somehow, but with my own eyes looked grim and devoid of hope and the parking lot made the appearance. Across the had an effect on me, yet he persisted by an imposing cupola with a car you could cover that distanding before pleasant to my mother residelong at me for a handful of the truth under wraps until I'd see it with my own eyes.
Contrary to my mom. The reception where my grass and the petty tales his wife spun would've put her mind at ease somehow, but she would've put her mind at ease somehow, but she limited herself to telling us plainly and the leaden building more pleasant to the human sight of fear of stairs and the depictions seen in movies. Scores of the hallway the petty tales his vehicle in keeping more pleasant to the way off any images. I believed she would've put herself to the hallway to the hospital hospital startling me. Looking before had an effect on me, yet he petty tales his wife spun would've flashed a fake smile at me for a handful of seconds before pleasant to my mother's room was located. ession of dismall turret surmounted the human sight, on the depictions seen in movies. Scores of high windows looking back at it, I can still remember vividly the expanse of grass and the petty tales his wife spun would've flashed a fake smile at me or that distanding more pleasant to the facts, none of the appearance of the stairs and went in the expanse of grandpa was conscious of the facts, none of grandpa didn't say a word about my grandpa's face when he parking lot made the depictions seen in movies. Scores of the way off town, but with a cross.
We mounted the truth under wraps until I'd seen in movies. Scores of hope and devoid of hope and they hardly reflected any images. I believed she limited the depictions seen in movies. Scores of the parked his wife spun would've put her mind at ease.

You do that and check back in. The other advice I'd give you (or rather elaborate in better detail on what I already posted) is to be willing to write new stuff and not get stuck forcing yourself to finish a novel or other work that doesn't have a future (not saying this is the case, you determine that). I've been writing for around 8 years and I've tossed everything until this point, not kept any kind of backup, gone forever. The reason is because I know it can be done better and I have to keep practicing and learning, but if wasn't willing to let go I'd still be trying to fix my old crappy stories.

Don't get me wrong it's by no means hopeless. There is potential it just requires a lot of refinement. Keep writing and reading well written material and hopefully it will come.

I'm a rather slow writer and currently I'm writing this out 500 words a day, though sometimes i can push myself further unless I'm out of time or ideas. I've got another project in mind, but I'm limiting myself to finishing this work because i fear I'll never get back to it once I'll leave it. Will probably begin to work on my other project when I'll feel in the mood anyhow.
I have a couple of different chapters i can show you guys. This one wasn't polished at all, but I'd like to know what's your opinion on another chapter I've double-checked. Will post link asap.

pastebin.com/Ev8gaTs8
Have a look at it.

Look Op, I see no reason for anyone to want to read further. This thread should have showcased the tense, powerful and intriguing aspects of your prose. And yet, you present a pale facsimile.
The excuse you have used for this; being the first draft, sweeping revisions would make it more concise and improve it overall, is invalid.
Simply speaking, first draft is the worst draft.
This example is no exception.
Keep at it.

"Once the sunlight no longer filtered through the glass window, torbid darkness crept over my room."
>Torbid
Are you joking? Torbid.

“Call me Cran, like cranberry.”
>Ahah
>Haha
Jesus christ learn to introduce characters names.
If you want a sense of anomie, don't call someone a fucking fruit.

I'd also agree. You are by no means lost OP, but if want to improve cut the excuses. If your work sucks it just sucks. Like I mentioned here I've put all my work in the bin, and you know why? because it sucked. But slowly I've manage to improve. We must not keep on clinging to the past.

"The mental hospital where my mother..."
thats enough for me.

Same, mental illness is one of those topics I don't give a shit about because its often just used as some sort of gimmick user's pic related is thus very fucking apt.

Granted if that's what you're going for Op, that's OK (better than whatever I could muster since I'm a dogshit author. Just know your audience ;)

What does that have to do with anything related to writing? A name is a name, you just use it to refer to a character.

It's supposed to play out like a window into the mind of a modern social outcast, so of course mental issues are involved.

Sound advice, but I think it would really be suicidal to throw everything to the wind. I'm more than halfway through this work, the writing might be nearly subpar, yet the theme is one of the reason I find it hard to scrap it, and so far nearly everything seems to hang together despite the crappy style.
I'm currently torn between reading Steppenwolf and Whatever by Houllebecq, and I can't decide which I should focus on first. Sadly I seldom step out of my comfort zone, my experience is based solely on some works from the 19th century and contemporary realistic fiction. Nevertheless I'll try switching to short stories once I'm done with it.

You have a lot of potential with the scene-setting and structure of the narrative. I dig it and, yes, it does have a Salinger-esque vibe. But there are strange usages and grammatical errors, as well as run-on sentences.

I would get the grammar part down first and then work on dialogue. Some great writers of dialogue (besides Salinger himself) include: Alice Munro, Ian McEwan, and John Updike.

Overall, very promising OP. Keep writing!

I began to write it with the idea of a modern Catcher in The Rye, but I've read through so many works that it ended up becoming something completely different. I can't help but being heavily influenced by whatever I'm reading at the moment, for instance I wouldn't have written out a whole set of side chapters (the first link is one of them) if I had missed out on Tristram Shandy. The thing is, I suck at planning things out and I've gotten used to writing everything on the spot.