Any monks in here? What do monks read?

Any monks in here? What do monks read?

Attached: 101.jpg (745x960, 77K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sF7-vN_qCF4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Why would a monk be on the internet?

a book of the hours

why would monks read when they function on (or endeavor to achieve) a mode of consciousness that is higher than logic ?

What are some books about monks, pilgrimage, or a monk-like lifestyle?

Regula Benedicti (Rule of Saint Benedict)

The way of a pilgrim
The cloud of unknowing
Little flowers of Francis asisis

Logic isn't a mode of consciousness

why would monks be on Yea Forums out of all places?

Monks who use the internet are not truly monks. Their chastity is called into question by the very presence of this medium. And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and. cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee. that one of thy members should perish, and not. that thy whole body should be cast into hell.

what do monks gain from monkhood

Peace and joy.

young monkpussy

how is their peace and joy help the monk order who spend resources to support them

i think at least buddhist monks are allowed to use computers. not sure about christian monks tho

bullshit, every monastery has a website these days. you guys have this autistic and archaic view of monks when really they are just normies who go around in robes praying all day and doing whatever work keeps them in cash, like the brewer monks. they use the internet like anybody else for the most part and some have social media accounts/youtube channels, they just don't go around shitposting or spending hours on it like a neglected housewife because they have other shit to do like pray or mow the grass

youtube.com/watch?v=sF7-vN_qCF4

They are not materialistic or pragmatic, they relegate these things to the realm of necessity instead of desire; the knowledge is the produce. Yes, incase you were going to ask: you can't quantify it.

Orthodox monasteries only allow designated monks to answer the site or use phones. Many don't even allow running water or electricity for most monks

so they live on donations alone? what happens to those that don't get enough necessary to survive?

Let alone Yea Forums. If snuck my phone into the monastery I shure as hell wouldn’t wanna go here

They generally print/translate/write books, make komboskinis, record chant, make candles, make wine, stuff like that. All revenue goes to the monastery though, not individual monks

Clean your abby and hit yourself

Monks obviously read Finnegans Wake

ah shit, there was a thread some weeks back where a dude who was a monk left the life and was doing a question and answer thread here. it's probably in the archive

The websites are not managed by the monks in most cases, brainlet. Most can only be reached by telephone or letter, and some even forbade telephone access. Weak tier urban monestaries or similar, non-strict Cistercians maybe, but certainly not the strict observance, and certianly not the carthusians. Pro-tip,, you see some idiot react first thing with "bullshit", it shows they are thinking with emotion, not their brain.

I was going to be ah Orthodox monk. Spent a good amount of time in monasteries.

You read the Bible, the early church fathers, the writings of the saints before you, and basically nothing else. You don't have time to read all the time. You gave up pleasure reading when you were tonsured. You gave up the world amd everything it had to offer; you put yourself entirely second to Christ and His church. It might be interesting to read certain literatures, especially if you traveled to another country to be a monk, and want to absorb their understanding/culture too. However, Dostoyevsky isn't the Bible. Nor is he Maximus the Confessor or Gregory Palamas or Mark of Ephesus, or Augustine or Origen or any of the other greats. You read Scripture, and the accounts of those saints who also spent their lives enraptured in it. That's why you became a monk.

Everyone that wants to be a monk just to have some old-fashioned "contemplative quiet life" will 100% not make it as a monk. You've missed the point, and if God isn't entirely guiding you through that brand of matyrdom, you're going to have a really miserable time.

Attached: 1519082162019.jpg (480x477, 30K)

t.consciousnesslet

I shouldn’t tell you this because i dont want you to waste your youth. So Ill just first say i have heard the stories of medieval monks praying so hard they floated was never true just something the older monks told the acolytes in hopes they would apply themselves. I think this might be true apprenticing to a medieval craft guild myself i can attest they do stuff like that. But I refused to believe monks cant sometimes i fell asleep or it got me aroused dont know why but the monks aleways claimed the devil was tormenting them so thats a possibility., but i tried to be disciplined and do this well. as i said i not great at meditating to much internal dialogue is the glue that holds reality together.) so one day after maybe six months im doing this im not deep into meditative state really but i have gotten much better at staying in the process so i guess a bit but i certainly was not sleeping or in some other consciousness i would have heard the stories of medieval monks praying so hard they floated was never true just something, thus it is a problem to be solved not by advancing the cause of philosophy but by seeking a cure. The Pharmakos, Logos and the Savior are all attempts at various times answers stages to contain and or cure philosophy. As a side note, Hegel is the AIDS of philosophy. The arising of what is x for itself is the “birth of the preface to the phenomenology.

Reading Hegel can cause actual physical manifestation of symptoms, happened the minute I got it and will happen in a few minutes when I explain it, a mental experiment communicable in words that physically alters the chemicals of the brain drastically. This I used to think was dangerous to communicate. Then I tried a few times, to explain it to people who told me they were philosophy students, I figured that'd be the type to understand, but I got this delusion/hallucination/belief out of the profoundly illogical aspects of "philosophy". The commentary tradition of neo pythagorean, middle platonist and of the "commentators" are contrary to popular belief, not banal rote missives rather invocations of punctuated equilibrium born of repitition. This repitition guarantees to prove unequivocally that univocal agreement is practically impossible.

There is an inherent geography and corporeality to language, at it's limits (this limit is paradox/Demi-god) and when these limits are stroked and fluffed into affirmed arousal they become paradoxes which in turn become vaginas which are liminal zones, thresholds and portals in the mind of the human.

got this not from deep deep inside the hegel literature described best I thought as "phantasmagoria", amazing schizotypal stuff, some of it available on the web and in the bookstores everywhere, well that stuff is great and reinforces the project of kenosis, remaps it onto infinitely different fields of knowledge, but I got this delusion/hallucination/belief out of the preface to the phenomenology of spirit, meant to be the gateway to hegel's thought, the preface to the phenomenology. I was in a second floor apartment in queens with a small triangular patio I liked sitting out on, right above a noisy highway that was annoying to try to sleep near, it never stops! but that night there was a very clear and close full moon in clear view of that patio, above the din of the traffic.

Nah, they're allowed access to the papers and basic news to stay up to date but all the rest is pretty off limits. I guess some could cheat but then why would they be in a monestary in the first place.

Now I don't remember how "far" hegel was positing the essence's vision of itself was from itself, but I decided somehow that the more distance, the more intense and interesting the effect might be. And I'd been practicing basic astral projection already - come outside your body, do basic exersizes for control practice, then go fly out in space to other planets and walk around. That itslef is a trip, so I think it oculd have been my original idea to introduce distance between stage one and two of kenosis, and I remeber writing that the greater the distance between stage one and two of kenosis, and I remeber writing that the greater the distance between stage one and two of kenosis, and I remeber writing that the greater the distance between stage one and two, the brighter the light that shines. This is how I learned to reach in and shine a bright light out of my mind that can beam to the ends of the universe and see and know everything, a light much brighter that the human organism was meant to hold, i think, and the light that shines. This is how I learned to reach in and shine a bright light out of my mind that can beam to the ends of the universe and see and know everything, a light much brighter that the more distance, the more intense and interesting the effect might be. And I'd been practicing basic astral projection aspect to this.

So if you can do that, see yourself over there on the bright white moon. Maybe I loose people at this point, the college students I mean. Maybe I never explained to them about the astral projection aspect to this.

So if you can do that, see yourself over there on the moon I decided to place my vision of myself, for this experiment. First time I ever did it. I sat there, looking at the moon, picturing myself there, right there in a little triangular patio, was me looking at the moon, and on the moon, just cause that hellucination more or less, and focus on it for a little while, THAT is stage two. n there. Basic infantile logic. So we are infantile, just essence, as stage one and two of kenosis, and I remeber writing that the greater the distance between stage one and two of kenosis, and I remeber writing that the greater the distance between stage one and two of kenosis, and I remeber writing that the greater the distance between stage one and two, the brighter the light that shines. This is how I learned to reach in and shine a bright light out of my mind that can beam to the ends of the universe and see and know everything, a light much brighter that the human organism was meant to hold, i think, and the light also surprised me in that it lit up the microscopic world all around me that the subconscious was supposed to withhold from us, the crawling hotel room, the demons all around us, it's not pretty.

into knowledge of itself as this thing called soul, spirit, Hegel isn't a dualist, he's saying Nature can only be an object for something outside Nature, or rather, Nature makes itself its own object as the movement of Spirit, negates itself to produce itself as negativity. basically once this stuff clicks you can smell a paradigm shift coming in the culture like it shit its pants, you can sense the larger, dialectic trends that inform the content of the sociopolitical fad of the week (there's a line in his History of Philosophy that explains the boomer meme perfectly), and you can be reconciled to this process, to its form, instead of being determined by and enslaved to its content

They lives in a temple on a mountain so no wifi