Is semiotics just a huge meme? I will admit that I know next to nothing on the subject right now...

Is semiotics just a huge meme? I will admit that I know next to nothing on the subject right now, but listening to Zizek argue that the architecture of toilets in different nations is representative of the nations' ideology, or when Baudrillard says that the architecture of homes is inherently patriarchal because each room serves a different purpose and this (somehow) corresponds to the order in masculinity, makes me think it's just ridiculous speculation. Perhaps I need to be more open minded? I don't know.

Attached: Capture.png (1255x459, 395K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yhLPzKonBBA
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yes of course it's a meme. If it was anything besides hot opinion it would be a fucking peer reviewed science article. There's a reason interest in this shit faded over time; critical theory was just academic faddism and political activism disguised as academics to propagate a few careers.

You would have to be completely retarded not to see this or to unironically fellate the failed mystics without the courage to kill themselves that are critical theorists.

>If it was anything besides hot opinion it would be a fucking peer reviewed science article.
Stopped reading there

>philosophy is still important! it is!
Ok kid

>everything is quantifiable!

Thanks for admitting your irrelevancy like every beta philosophy cuck. You all crumble as soon as you are called out on your shit. Stay in your academic ghettos and go be "analytical" in spaces where real people don't have to deal with your schvitzing.

Semiotics and critical theory are two different things. I don't even know what critical theory is. The other user is just as politically biased as those he criticizes. Baudrillard is not a semiotician per se, if anything you read him after having understood Saussurean. And Marx. Besides your extract is really not a good example. I don't think Zizek actually uses semiotics. Maybe a little when spouting his lacanian drivel I don't know. Besides there's different schools of semiotics, what do you want to know? Anglos will tell you to read Pierce. Man, just read an intro book or something

The idea makes more sense if you are an artist.
Art is both an expression and experience.

I mean, before globalization it was more obvious.

Take the idea of swords for instance. In europe swords were made as big, heavy, stabby things.

In japan, swords were made to be fast and slice people.

There has to be some subconscious thing going on there

Think of a really simple example like a table. A table can take many shapes, so long as it operates as a table, or to put it another way, has the proper use-value. But in a medieval court, the table must have a head as to give to the King. The monarchy is quite literally objectified in the production of long rectangular tables with "heads". This is also why the Round Table actually meant something in its time, it wasn't an arbitrary choice of shape. Where the semiotics really comes in is mix though is with the notion of sign-value: let's expand the scenario a bit more. A CEO is setting up a boardroom and wants to make himself look as impressive as he thinks he is, so rather than use the rectangular table he was going to use, he pays a hundred thousand dollars for some antique table from a medieval court. Even if those two objects are the same, or even more, even if the medieval table is less effective than the default, the antique, historical value it signifies places it above the others in what Baudrillard called the hierarchy of objects. But the thing about sign value is that it doesn't really exist inherent to the object, it only exists as its relation to other objects (meaning if the table is a forgery, it's relation changes, and now the table is worthless no matter how much he paid for it). This is basically a correction to LTV.
Read the System of Objects for the full rundown

Attached: Jean Baudrillard.jpg (1408x792, 213K)

its just about techniques of saying and meaning things
not really much to meme home about and doesn't fit more le scientific quantify my ass fits so lol haha people communicating isn't systems theory 0101001010frogmeme01101010

fuck you king arthur

>this shit eating, stoner logic post is the absolute BEST case scenario for a defense of semiotics as something worth studying
Awesome.

Semiotics is philosophers repackaging themselves in order to work in advertising, media and PR.

Yes, it's a huge meme. If you want to learn how symbols actually work, then you need to study computer science, specifically finite state automata.

this is actually a key example of why you should not listen to a single word anyone says on this board and take it with a major grain of salt. Conflating semiotics as a linguistic discipline of finding meaning in symbolic structures and critical theory as a sociopolitical theory aside, the poster also goes on to ramble somewhat incoherently about mysticism?

Actually I've been noticing this lately on Yea Forums and I'm guessing it's the newest in a series of failed pseudointellectual linguistic memes that someone once said in a maybe smart way and then everyone just decided to parrot it afterwards. What do you think mysticism is user? can you name like 3 actual mystics? do you know what their ideas were? If you can do this I'll be very impressed. If you can then further relate how mysticism and critical theory go together in a non memey way that would be amazing.

What you're espousing right now is the same vague verbal bullshit that you ascribe to the very people you're criticizing. The sad thing is some idiots will read this and think this user is le based btfo semiotics/critical theory, and never really dive deep into what are actually two pretty rich and distinct traditions. One of which contains a philosopher I think most people should read Jurgen Habermas.

>Plleeeeeaaasseeee read my political propaganda!!!!
No

Christianity has a rich and distinct tradition but I bet you never read any Christian writings you hypocritical freak.

I hope everyone can come look at this thread and take this user as an example the same way that class dunces were used back when the education system allowed for them. This is an example of the type of stupid you don't want to be even in an ironic or so called ""post ironic"" way.

Maybe you could spell if you took humanities more seriously... probably all that you'd be able to get from them too

Well-said, thanks for the introduction. If only Baudrillard was as easy for my tiny brain to read as your post was.

No one agrees with the battle you're "winning" in your head. Semiotics is NOT interesting, meaningful, or influential. It is a self sustaining academic field producing white noise in the form of publications for self referentiality. It has zero impact on anything beyond itself and everyone could ignore it, like literally billions upon billions do every day for their entire lives, and it wouldn't make a difference. Fuck off.

Actually I'm currently studying phenomenology in the form of philosophical hermeneutics and its intersection with habermasian public sphere theory so actually a lot of my work is engaging with the texts of some really interesting christian thinkers like riceour, gadamer and augustine. Of course you probably meant like the bible or something because that's probably the extent of what you've gotten out of christian thought out of the fake christian larping meme cesspool that is Yea Forums

sounds unironically based user

>Gadamer
>Christian
The fact that you honestly feel that the subversion of Christian thought in the 60s is Christianity in any way is all I need to know about your little foray.

>Ricœur
Based

>admits to studying philosophy
>pays money to do so
>believes this makes him look good
I'm a psychiatric nurse practitioner and I make $167K/yr working 3-4 days a week. I also know more real, actual facts about the mind than you.

Yeah I'm going to believe that

>he thinks having a job with actually useful knowledge that garners respect in the community is an unrealistic larp
Oh no

you sound more like a psychiatric

I don't mind paying for the education I chose, after all we all have to chose our lot in life ultimately and accept the pros and cons therein. About you though, I'm not sure I wouldn't be surprised if you were the psychiatric nurse's patient and not the nurse.

Its not too late to back out and get a real job. You just need to stop being a lefty. You should realize that they will chew you up and spit you out, and when you can't get a job they will laugh about it. These are the fruits of being a leftist/libtard/Democrat whatever you want to call it. These are the fruits of treating academic jargon like authoritative truths. Connect with real people, go to church and be a Christian, and get a decent job. Suddenly semiotics won't feel so big and important and meaningful.

Don't throw your life away for lefty cucks.

Pythagoras and the theory is harmonics.
Empedocles and the theory of immortality of the soul.
Swami Sri Yukteswar and his assertions on God.

thats all self evident enough. i still fail to see how the description he gave of the house is patriarchal. who says unifunctionality, immovability, imposing presence, and hierarchical labelling have to perpetuate male power? could not all of those things exist in the house of a dominatrix? it does not follow from the fact that men hold most of the power in society that the way in which this power is expressed is inherently patriarchal; that is akin to asserting that the NZ shooter's weapons were white supremacist

also, the examples you gave were specifically of objects designed to assert power. i do not see how this sentiment can be carried over to Baudrillard's example

I'm impressed. I still you're a fraud but I'm impressed. I take it you don't like these thinkers?

all shared culture is a meme

It's been a while since I read it but what I think he was trying to say is that the idea of having static, unifunctional rooms as the layout for a house was patriarchal in that it imposes a top down hierarchy on the relations inherent to the houses architecture. The man works in his garage built to work in, the woman cooks in her kitchen designed to cook in, the family eats in the dining room, ect. (see pic related). It's a rather modest position based on the more abstract idea of patriarchal as forms of order, rather than whatever modern meme you want to run with. He wrote this in '68 remember, and was more interested in exploring how these patriarchal reflections in objects were being displaced.

Attached: Untitled.png (710x358, 114K)

but toilets ARE wildly different in England, France and Germany respectively.

Also the Baudrillard bit is true, it's far from sounding like ridiculous speculation to any intuitive person. You may be anglo and autistic, right? I do not mean to be offensive, but as a frenchman who has lived in an anglo country, there are caracteristics to each culture that you learn to pick up. French and anglo cultures differ extremely, even though they are seemingly close (just look at the toilets..)

For instance...?

>Yes of course it's a meme. If it was anything besides hot opinion it would be a fucking peer reviewed science article

Attached: knd_number_1_by_cartooonnerd_daoqmq2-fullview.png (1024x768, 201K)

>I also know more real, actual facts about the mind than you.

Attached: image0 (3).jpg (690x676, 95K)

suuuureeeeeeeeeee

Attached: 1521659120471.jpg (600x529, 54K)

user also mentioned Augustine but of course you're not going to notice that. As long as you can find ground for a quick dismissive retort you'll use it.
Sad really.

I know nothing about critical theory or semiotics but I know a guy who was raised in a communist family and they don't have a specific room for each family member. Whoever feels like going to bed first will go to whatever room he feels like to sleep. The functionality of the different rooms is not assigned at all like in most contemporary house (it's even reflected on the architecture from what i've heard, but I've never been in his home).

So your pic related might actually have a point I guess.

I'm not that user, but I do like these thinkers very much.

wtf
wtf

Attached: 1529937983957.jpg (524x468, 78K)

based and baudrillardpilled

postmarxism is truly a ride

>Habermas
bluepilled
>Ricoeur
based
>Gadamer
redpilled
>Augustine
based and redpilled

Progressiveness (and everything leftist / marxist / etc) is just an embrace of deconstruction and entropy. It's all a meme.

>critical theory was just academic faddism and political activism disguised as academics to propagate a few careers.
based and correct-pilled

>If it was anything besides hot opinion it would be a fucking peer reviewed science article.
post was good except for this

Hahaha damn, talk about posts to which Yea Forums 100% has no response. How many people ITT got uncomfortable looking at this post and hurriedly scrolled past before reality hit too hard?

Attached: 47091573_2013536752048098_7821690179273133415_n.jpg (768x768, 45K)

I tend to agree. Credential-ism is the cope of the leftist since the universities are their church. I have a Masters but it's worthless. 90% of degrees are worthless. You can uniroinically learn more from youtube.
>Suddenly semiotics won't feel so big and important and meaningful.
Blunt truth. I got caught up in esoteric concepts and post modernism as a kid. It rarely has anything to do with reality.

Same. I'm the nurse practitioner from above. I got into nursing because even though I succeeded in academia, I was making shit money even after I was finally able to get a job. When I finally snapped out of my bullshit and started doing things like dating good women and going to church, it wasn't long before I saw the need to have a decent job with a real skillset.

Nursing was more interesting than my master's and probably more challenging. But it felt SO GOOD to learn something that was actually useful to myself and others. Academic bullshitters have no idea. When I went back for my nurse practitioner, I was very tired of school, but the prestige and respect that comes from my job and not the degree attached to it is a wonderful feeling. I prioritize family and Christ first of course, but being able to do things like prescribe medications and see improvement in very mentally ill people is quite nice.

Growing up I was always "smart" and desperately wanted to get a PHD and be a professor. I love the *idea* of academics as a pure pursuit of passion. As I grew up I learned what university "education" really was and how the system is basically bringing about the destruction of the human race (hyperbolic yes, but legitimate)

I have a very bleak view of the future if we don't deal with the progressive universities soon. We have only a short amount of time left. Vid related:
youtube.com/watch?v=yhLPzKonBBA

Fuck OFF. Enjoy willfully dumbing yourself down to "be happy" while the rest of us pursue actual philosophy and true knowledge. Wow it's so impressive that you have jobs and families and go to fucking church to pray to some imaginary sky daddy. Give me a fucking break. No one is that dumb in the current year... fuck this board has gone to shit.

You too

We've got a live one, boys

>*click* this is going in my cringe comp

all the picture is saying is that there is a custom within a certain culture that dictates that there is a "Man of the House." It shouldn't require a degree in philosophy to see how this directly extends to the layout and structure of the household, and how future houses will mimic this structure because of comfort and tradition.

I could try and write up how this would directly lead to "masculine" or "patriarchial" structures within the house, especially if you buy into the idea and begin extrapolating everything as an expression of patriarchy, but it shouldn't be hard to imagine if you think about the nature the household for most of recorded history.

anybody got something insightful to say about this or what? i fail to see how any of this is a surprise to anyone.

Oh yeah boys, this is peak Yea Forums.com/forums.

>while the rest of us pursue actual philosophy and true knowledge. Wow it's so impressive that you have jobs and families and go to fucking church to pray to some imaginary sky daddy. Give me a fucking break.

Attached: euphoric.jpg (548x618, 175K)

it's a samefag and he's baiting this thread hard because he knows it was on the "front page" or whatever you call the directory.

maybe you're also them though and it's all a fucking conspiracy from the astroturfing dickheads that have been pushing christianity around here lately.

ANYWAYS fuck this thread

Attached: 1523334463528.png (190x451, 131K)

Imagine being psychotic and posting on Yea Forums(nel)

Dumb newfaggot, this board has had a Christian presence for fucking years. In fact, I see far less of it now then I did a few years back when this board was good. The fucking majority of lit memes known on the rest of Yea Forums are Christian themed. Go back to you know where

holy fuck based and redpilled. Philosophyfags BTFO

Attached: 1551467917524.gif (384x400, 2.82M)

based schizo poster

>But the thing about sign value is that it doesn't really exist inherent to the object, it only exists as its relation to other objects (meaning if the table is a forgery, it's relation changes, and now the table is worthless no matter how much he paid for it). This is basically a correction to LTV.
Oh my god, fucking kill yourself.

Attached: leon-walras-wc-37727-1-402.jpg (620x775, 58K)

I just want to say that it's alarming when people are so ready to dismiss the possibility of astroturfing with an assumption that anyone bringing it up is psychotic.

Of all the boards, Yea Forums should be the ones to recognize the irony of such.

I think the point would be that we know people bump their own threads, but don't think it's a conspiracy

welp
itsthe type of thing that Yea Forums will wilfully misunderstand and hate

lel

why

I'm sure adding another arbitrary category to the value-form will render it workable.

based and too good to be wasting time on Yea Forums

C O P E
O
P
E

capitalism sucks though lmao, imagine NOT being a leftist or at least an anti-capitalist in 2019! You're basically an economic cuckold at that point

can't be an orthodox leftist and anti-capitalist, can't be a traditionalist or conservative or almost anything without being an an anti-capitalist.

>Is semiotics just a huge meme? I will admit that I know next to nothing on the subject
lurk more

Really one of the saddest exchanges I've seen in a while. I know this is four channel and you're just shitposting but consider thinking through what you're saying and doing before you make a complete fool out of yourself.

What is deconstruction user? And which Derrida book is it in (oh shit spoilers)?

Marxism is Christian Slave Morality in its perfect form (shorn if it’s last vestiges of hierarchy in the removal of God). The perfect equalizing hack saw.

Want to read some semiotics. Would one of the anons who can read without drooling on the pages tell me where to start? I’ve read DeSaussure and an introduction by Eco.

fucking flyovers. kys

Japan had to work with different materials and didn't have the metallurgy available in yurop.
Doesn't mean they would have converged necessarily to the same weapon design as in France without it.