Edition related. Should I read the Bhagavad Gita first, or start at the beginning?

Edition related. Should I read the Bhagavad Gita first, or start at the beginning?

Attached: 91Davnm1B4L.jpg (1518x2339, 766K)

The worst cover I've ever seen.

read that Bhagavad Gita since you can in one day

Man, imagine actually being named John D. Smith.
Why even try making something of yourself when you have a name that's so generic it's a joke?

this guy was the first person to translate this entire text into english, and it took like a fucking decade. he's a fucking badass. checkem motherfucker

Attached: 1421207289273.png (300x177, 57K)

i think its great. i get a small dopamine hit every time i see the penguin book covers on a shelf somewhere. i don't know what the painting is but the colors are really nice against the black and it works

I know. I'm just saying he probably wished he had a more unique name to sign it with.

how dare you sir

Attached: 658BF363355C4DC781FEF55BA0E85758.jpg (400x400, 14K)

Isn't that cover a painting in the traditional Mughal style? If so that's the wackiest shit I've seen this week

what's wacky about it? do you not know what happens in the book?

Is that a translation of the full text ? It seems that the book is much longer in other languages.

user, the Mughal rulers were Islamic. The Bhagavad Gita is a holy scripture of Hinduism. Surely you now see why this cover is discordant.

Mahabharata musou game when?

Attached: bhima.png (440x515, 273K)

indian philosophy and culture is very noble but modern indian politics is just dreck

>modern indian politics
gonna vote for the first time this april
actually excited t b h

>this guy was the first person to translate this entire text into english
No he's not, and the Penguin Classics edition is abridged (not saying it's bad at all). The first English translation was made in the 1880s-90s by Kisari M. Ganguli. John D. Smith even mentions it in his intro.

its taken from an older persian manuscript of the book. its not whatever the fuck random shit you just said

Who are you voting for? Unless you're voting for a local party, I don't envy the choice between Modi and Rahul.

Your unique mixture of ignorance, arrogance, and idiocy is oddly entertaining

modern indian politics seem like a battlefield of psychopaths. i don't admire any of it

i just read the back of the book that's all. i think you're a dick

going by whats best for my constituency in kerala, our current congress guy is doing pretty well, so there's no reason to change shit up. Anyway don't think I could ever vote for the BJP. I can't subscribe to that ideology. Anyway I'll wait till all the candidates and manifestos are out before I make an informed decision.
What about you my friend? What state?

My apologies then. I thought you were trolling.
My point was that it seems highly odd to put a non-hindu/persian styled painting as the cover to a pillar of hindu literature.
If you like the cover, that's great, I'm happy for you. But surely you can understand why I feel there's dissonance here

Also it's Yea Forums man, don't take shit too seriously

you talk like one of those annoying pieces of shit who thinks they know more than they do. they throw out only vaguely related information, making random bullshit connections to the discussion to seem smart. apology unaccepted i will literally put my dick in your mouth. pic related

Attached: amyl-poppers-480x320.jpg (480x320, 45K)

Go back to whining about Butterfly, fag.

i know your people. you can't figure out why nobody is impressed. you think other people are just stupid, and they pick up on it. unfortunately they are either too polite, or too unwilling to show vulnerability in order to be direct with you. you silently get put into this mental category "annoying prick"

i don't know who the fuck butterfly is

>being this retarded
Literally nothing he said was wrong. You'd know it if you bothered to ever become literate. Go fuck yourself.

nice subtle troll, actually got me going for a millisecond there
still fuck off though

>thread with potential sidetracked by nitwits
I have that edition, it's probably the easiest entry point to Mahabharata for an English speaker.
I found it very useful to have the story context for Bhagavad-Gita, made a lot more sense to me. The Bhagavad-Gita chapters are not included in full in this edition though, so get them separately