Thoughts on A Clockwork Orange

What does Yea Forums think of this novel? Me personally, it's in my top ten favorite books of all time. Fun fact: This is the version that I've first read this novel from my local library during high school a long, long time ago!

Attached: 41Y5oe4rmlL.jpg (312x500, 24K)

Burgess, Anthony. Dislike him.

The rape scene was very memorable. Otherwise, I was not impressed. A cruel and stupid man who enjoyed killing, torturing, and maiming was maimed in return. Am I supposed to feel pity?

Is the book better than Kubrick's movie(which I love)?

Surprisingly this is one of the few books that I think was done really well on film. As much as Kubrick likes to take creative liberties, I think he did well by Burgess. With that said, the book is so important because of that extra chapter in the end that is not in the film. This book was so weird but a complete masterpiece. But I give credit when credit is due and I know that most fans of the book would have never even been introduced if it wasn't for the film, including myself. Although I often wonder how my imagination would digest the book if I had never seen the film. Have any of you ever read the book and never seen the film? If so could you describe it for us normies?

Ultraviolent bump

hey buddy, did you not read the final act?

No, in my opinion it's one of the rare cases where the movie is better than the book. The book has the interesting aspect that it is entirely written in the droog newspeak, which makes for an interesting reading experience.

But thematically, the book is more about a youth vs. older generations narrative, almost like a fucked up coming of age story for Alex. Interesting, but not that deep. The movie is much more philosophical.

The one where the protagonist pretends to be a good boi who dindu nuffin at the behest of the opposition? What of it?

The book is summed up as Alex's crimes could be. Fun, but senseless.

So that's a 'no' lmao

I'm not a native English speaker, so it's been quite difficult for me to follow this book with all it's weird slang. Real horrorshow.

What's this book like for a monolingual reader?
t. Brit with Ukrainian mum, can't speak it but she can talk to me in Ukrainian and I'll understand her well enough, so I could read 'horrorshow' and pronounce it and work out that it was 'хopoшo', say 'starry' in my head and work out that it was 'cтapi' (would be cтapи in Russian) and didn't have to even think about stuff like malenky or govoreet, but it made the book's style one of the most enjoyable I've ever read because I've grown up with these words around me and its ratio of English to Nadsat is perfect for my knowledge of the language and Alex narrates in these wonderful run on sentences with little tics that got completely lost in the film

A lot of the slang words are Russian due to the author's experience with Russians in England back in his days so it's understandable if you don't understand most of the slang words. There's a glossary online if you need any assistance with understanding the Nadsat language.

Did you read my post? I've read the book and I loved it because of my knowledge of Ukrainian which shares a lot of the words used in Nadsat, but I want to know what its like for someone who doesn't know a lick of Russian

Oh, sorry. My bad, man. Well, to tell you the truth, at first, it was extremely difficult for me to understand but as I read along, I began to understand some of the words that they were saying due to context and due to some of the slang words being British English. I looked up the Nadsat glossary after I have read the book through and to my surprise, I got a good amount of the slang words right. Also,just out of curiosity, is the Ukrainian language just basically Russian but with a new name and a few new words added into it like how American English is just British English but with a new name and a few new words added to it?

I have the same version, also got it during high school

I think it's closer to Norwegian and Swedish but don't quote me on that, I don't know 100% how close those two are. The letters i, ґ and ї aren't in Russian while ё, ъ and ы aren't in Ukrainian, и is 'i' as in 'fit' in Ukrainian but 'ee' as in 'sheep' in Russian, i is 'ee' in Ukrainian and ы is 'i' in Russian.

Attached: 1468902278_Nice.jpg (509x300, 74K)

I would like to recommend it in audiobook form actually. The audiobook read by Tom Hollander (on audible and Libby) actually made the book easier to get through for me; Hollander speaks in a cockney accent, and his intonation really helped in understanding the meanings of the slangs being used.

>What's this book like for a monolingual reader
Probably about the same. Burgess makes it really easy to understand what the words are contextually, or sometimes just plain gives out the synonym. I found it really fun to read.

read the whole book in one night during middle school underneath the bathroom sink of a hotel room. same paperback version you posted, too. it really influenced me. i became obsessed with nadsat slang and stitched it into my personal lexicon, and even taught other midwestern friends to speak it so we could all feel cool because no one else knew what we were saying. looking back, i'm sure it looked cringy. but yeah, i was a troublemaker and even moreso after reading it, knowing that deep down there was good in me, and i could always change. now i'm an adult who doesn't partake in any violent/destructive crime, and i also happen to study linguistics. definitely in my top 10, and i still say "and all that cal" when i catch myself rambling.

I could understand Nadsat without any issue except for a few words, which I was able to read around, but probably couldn't have told you their exact English equivalent.

t. Amerimutt

Read it, spaffed to it, done it all. Good book. Liked nadsat. Liked the ending.