So according to Yea Forums you should start with this book

So according to Yea Forums you should start with this book.

Afterwards you should read the Iliad.

But the book already contains a summary of the Iliad.

Can anyone explain this please?

Attached: 9780446607254-de.jpg (308x500, 33K)

You fell for it.

Attached: 1729e2d8-3e86-4485-a44c-8a7faf5f025e.gif (200x200, 104K)

fpbp

>Summary of The Illiad == The Illiad

Attached: 0cLShvg6dB6S_pNxByvHbRl2b_GDpYBbBbNOF_ur8yU.jpg (1024x631, 87K)

it's simple math
the Iliad > a summary of the Iliad

OP you are correct, this is why i only read Yea Forums threads about books since that is equivalent to reading it.

Start with the Greeks
Progress with the Pseuds
This is a good lesson for you. If you think that some user grad student, let alone an undergrad, has any good philosophical advice then you are impossibly naive. Just look at the majority of the trash that gets posted here. Even most professors are only going to be able to give a few pieces of decent advice speckled amongst a mountain of shit. Again, just look at what is getting published and the absolute state of academic politics to see what standards they are held to.
The myths are incredibly important, they are the very foundation of Greece, and without the gods all of the poetry, tragedy, and philosophy never would have been possible.
You will not understand the Iliad with a cursory understanding of a few myths. So just forget that, you're not going to get the Iliad on your first go. And you are not going to progress to anything from the Greeks. If there is any progression then it will be back to the Greeks because their understanding was way beyond ours.
Read Plato along with what you are interested in. The Greeks should be seen as something off on the horizon, and your learning is a single step bringing you closer to the Parthenon. Most people here are stuck at the beginning of the journey, banging their heads against a tree while imagining they are already at the Parthenon singing dithyrambs.

>tl;dr start with plato in one hand and your dick in the other

What seems to be the problem? You can't read it because you already read the basic premise?

Wikipedia basic bitch greek mythology and then plunge straight into the source material. The mythology book is for people who have no grasp or knowledge of greek gods and the myths behind them.

Yeah... I strongly advice against this book.

No, I don't want to read spoilers.

You don't already know about the Trojan war?

The vast majority of Ancient Greeks would've known about the myth of the Trojan War before they heard the Iliad recited.

Lol
Hey guess what, Hamlet and Don Quixote die

this is good trolling on the autism regarding the whole flowchart shit that is infecting Yea Forums

>be a pseud and if you disagree with me you're a pseud
Wow, you really got me.

already half way there m8

neither of those are in the Iliad retard

hector dies

>reading for the plot
the absolute state of this board

I suppose reading The Iliad was a mistake on my part for I had already seen the movie Troy starring Brad Pitt and Eric Bana, and so there was nothing more for me to gain

Honest question, why don't people read Ovid's Metamorphoses for an intro to Greek/Roman mythology? It's a retelling of a bunch of myths, and is a legit piece of literature. I'm enjoying the Raeburn translation.

OP pic is a lot more concise, there is no need to read "Ovid" (whoever that is) to understand the mythology.

Edith Hamilton is a die hard modernist and you shouldnt read her or any of her translations

Attached: why-does-steven-pinker-look-like-he-plays-clarinet-in-23975033.png (500x742, 175K)

I'm like halfway through Mythology and I'm really enjoying it, Athena is my waifu.

>reading for super secret esoteric meanings the author totally hid behind 10,000 symbolism and proxies
Kill yourself waste of human life.