Absolute brainlet here

I’m really struggling to read Nietzsche.

I come from a design background and most of the books I read are either visual or spatial so I can to a degree visualise internally what the author is talking about. However when it comes to Nietzsche I really struggle to understand fully what he’s talking about as it’s a very different reading experience. Is there any Nietzsche books with notes that would be worth reading, or should I just give up all together.

I read econ books too, and can grasp what the author is saying, but with Nietzsche / philosophy I really don’t have a clue.

How do I get to the point where reading Nietzsche is not infuriatingly challenging?

I’m trying hard, but getting nowhere.

Attached: 1549152772879.jpg (524x400, 26K)

Unironically start with Plato.

Nietzsche is extremely easy to read due to his aphoristic style. WTF is wrong with you? You must have the attention span of a goldfish

easy to read but super hard to understand what he's on about

Plato is boring.

This is my problem. We know this…

I already declared myself a brainlet, your comment is adding nothing to the conversation.

I suggest offing yourself

Try to read Stiner and then comeback to him.
Most of what he says is just a continuation of Stirner but not as "radical" about it.
Stirner's wiki article also explains a lot about him, if you dont feel like buying the book.

easy to read doesnt necessarily mean easy to understand you worthless pseud

Thanks dude, is there any Stirner books you recommend I should read first?

There is no hope for you understanding/enjoying philosophy if you think Plato is boring.

The ego and his own.

What are you reading from him? You can't just pick any of his books to start getting into him.

The birth of Tragedy

Awesome, thanks will order this.

I finished TBOT a few days ago. The first 4 chapters were a little tough for me and I had already read Aeschylus', Sophocles' and Euripides' plays, Schopenhauer's Essays and Aphorisms, two books on Pre-Socratics and the most famous Plato's dialogues.
As I proceeded with my reading, things started to make much more sense.
I'd say to you to continue reading, but if you really are not getting any out of it then it's better to put it down and prepare yourself better for it.
Read Nietzsche's articles on SEP, read Kaufmann's and Safranski's book on Nietzsche.

key in on his ideas regarding the play of forces - Plenty to think of spatially there.

Thank you so much dude. This is more helpful than you can imagine.

Is Schopenhauer's Essays and Aphorisms difficult to read? I have some plato books at home (trial and death of socrates & Republic), perhaps I should genuinely start with the Greeks.

The SEP article looks like a nice Nietzsche primer, and my local library has the Kaufmann book.

I appreciate it!

you're being baited by shitposters you mongoloid. but that's what you deserve for not starting with the greeks

please explain?

He is the one shitting on you. Almost anyone who has read and his entries in wikipedia and can understand majority of stirner (which is easy) can understand everything where he coming from.

>Nietzsche is just Stirner xD I mean he basically copied him lol XD
Shut the fuck up you fucking cretins.

>Implying he doesnt have a lot of similarities, even sometimes using the term "fixed idea"
>Implying Nietzche wasnt even once accused of coping him
>Implying Stirner's wiki articles, and his books all state he is very similar to Nietzche.
Yeah, they do indeed have a lot of things in common, stop being such a sperg about defending your uber autist.

they actually do have a shitton in common and I think a couple stirner books were found in N's library. That being said I think big N is an improvement on stirner because of his emphasis on self discipline

No, I deem Schopenhauer to be a relatively accessible philosopher, it is providential to know basic Kant though (as it is in Nietzsche's Birth of Tragedy).
I don't know what are your aims, if you are interested exclusively on Nietzsche's thoughts I recommend you to read secondary literature on him and maybe try starting with his Untimely Meditations. Both TBOT and UM are good introductions to his bibliography, but unlike the former, UM doesn't require an extensive prior philosophical and literary knowledge.

You should start with the greeks.

Also,
Personally I think Plato can be boring and there is no shame if you start feeling that, don't force stuff down your throat.

So, before I got into philosophy I read tons of literary fiction. Literary fiction is what ultimately brought me to philosophy because I didn't get references. With that background, it helped me understand complex and abstract concepts. Nietzsche wasn't difficult for me unlike Kant whose works still give me headaches. I recommend reading more fiction before philosophy and when you have trouble with a particular philosopher there dozens of reading companions published for each of their works that will make the learning easier. Podcasts never help me; they make me forget the subject matter very quickly. Also, take notes and take breaks but I can't say I've had any problem with Nietzsche desu

do you actually believe this?
please tell me you don't actually believe this

Nietszche is one of those philosophers that can be interpreted differently depending on the reader because an uninformed reader will fail to get his many references. He is not writing for brainlets, and he acknowledges that several times in his works. He is mostly a critic, and he knows enough shit to criticize stuff no one even saw before he pointed them out. He lets many appreciations open so you fill them yourself as an Ubermensch would.

That does not mean you can't understand him, I recommend you to watch explanatort videos about him (from real philosophy channels because people still get him wrong often today, still call him a nihilist, or a nazi, and all sort of things), wikipedia, etc. You do not just dive into his thought without preparation, he is reacting to referenced past and giving you tools for the future.

I'll walk you through an aphorism or two but you should start with Plato or even someone like Shakespeare and take your time. Let's look at the very beginning of BGE because it's one of few good starting points for Nietzsche (and know, that if I had to give someone a one sentence boilerplate guide to reading Nietzsche, I would tell them to remember that SUBJECTIVE TRUTH should always be taken into account, and that Nietzsche can both praise Socrates at one point in one of his works, and then, tapering towards the end, be Socrates's absolute counterpoise. At the same time, WOMAN is a major topic, and only non-readers can boil down N to being a woman-hater):

>SUPPOSING that Truth is a woman—what then? Is there not ground for suspecting that all philosophers, in so far as they have been dogmatists, have failed to understand women—that the terrible seriousness and clumsy importunity with which they have usually paid their addresses to Truth, have been unskilled and unseemly methods for winning a woman? Certainly she has never allowed herself to be won; and at present every kind of dogma stands with sad and discouraged mien—IF, indeed, it stands at all!

Okay, so he's going right to the gut of it. Here he calls to mind the idea that all philosophers, hitherto, have failed to capture women. Schopenhauer, A HIGHLY RECOMMENDED PERSON TO READ, mentions in his main work that LOVE (and honestly consequently women) have not been discussed in philosophy. Schopenhauer doesn't fully do woman and love justice, but he does a damned-good job, and Nietzsche takes it to the next step. See the women aphorisms in HATH and BGE (in that order!) for YOUR own start. SO, anyway, IN THE BEGINNING, Nietzsche is calling out all philosophers for never having correctly pinned women down. If they can't even do this, then how can they even claim TRUTH? On top of this, and in one sentence mind you, Nietzsche is making the claim that (perhaps all) philosophies to this point have been the philosopher's way to deal with life, or, in this case, to get laid. THIS IS ONE OF HIS MAIN THEMES: any philosophy is just the philosopher's way of how THEY see the world. Please please please do not read that and jump to the conclusion that the society-is-a-constructor's have it all figured out--on the contrary--they themselves (like N) have a reason for coming to that conclusion. In the second sentence Nietzsche uses the word certainly, and YOU HAVE TO PAY ATTENTION TO THE WORDS. This is why a reading of Shakespeare (the great barbarian as N and Voltaire saw him) or any good poetry would be beneficial. Elsewhere, Nietzsche praises words like PERHAPS, and hopes that the future might in fact be filled with PERHAPS. But ELSEWHERE, and at the same time, he also praises the Emersonian school of thought where you should say something, be proud of it, and then say something else if that's how YOU FEEL, even if it's contradictory. N is contradictory.

To finish off my quote: Nietzsche speaks for a PHILOSOPHY OF LIFE. How to live well. How to live joyously. You will relate to his thwarting of dogmas if you have ever tried to live by a system and have struggled. You will especially relate to him if you are able to construct your own system even after you have assimilated all his ideas and his ability to live contradictorily. You can EVEN ON A THIRD LEVEL make use of him if you live a rewarding, successful, happy (but be careful on this one), strong life by recognizing him as a martyr. To end, re-read, re-read, re-read, re-read Nietzsche. If you want a building block to his thought with people who are relatively easy to digest and will open doors: Plato, Seneca, Montaigne, Shakespeare.

not him but it is true. Nietzsche is a boring dilettante. "God is dead" lmao. I know how he meant it. It's just funny to me he was such a brainlet he didn't see that, like Luther, his work was contributing to the condition he lamented and exalted.

He has the mind of a woke 7th grader. You should read the Bible first, anyway, before N. And if you're reading the Bible you should also read the Greeks. At the very least Aristotle, Plato, and Plotinus. THEN you can proceed to Nietzsche and see how much of a wool-brained moron he really was.

>He is mostly a critic, and he knows enough shit to criticize stuff no one even saw before he pointed them out.
this guy gets it
Nietzsche is virtually impossible "to get" if you don't have a solid grasp on the political age he was writing in, what the economy was like, how the church behaved, what other writers were doing and why they were fake/phony/etc. He comes across like a flailing madman unless you study the period in addition to his work. Once you do that, then he comes across as that madman on the street corner whom you begrudgingly acknowledge as frequently right.