Can I get some books about musical concepts, history of music, artist biographies, etc?

Can I get some books about musical concepts, history of music, artist biographies, etc?

Attached: Music and Literature.jpg (800x586, 94K)

Ask on Yea Forums. This is Yea Forums, it's not dedicated to literally every possible sort of books.

Yea Forums does not read I can guarantee it

/classical/ does

I'll make a post there then. I thought this would be the better place. My mistake.

Noise: A Political Economy of Music

How Music Works by David Byrne. As a drummer I found it fascinating. Great for non-musicians as well. Great intro for understanding music.

Yea Forums is full of people who unironically listen to tekashi69 and lil pump

This seems like a good enough thread to ask. I listen to schizos on youtube like someone might watch tv, it sounds like "history is fake" might be the next flat earth so I was curious to refute this point I heard a guy make:
>why did all of the great composers and instrument makers appear out of nowhere during the colloquially known long 18th century
There is quite a bit more to the overarching schizophrenia but I don't know what the answer is to this question. The stradivarius violin and the great composers aren't supposed to have appeared out of thin air, are they?

Oh fuck boys you know what a lot of this conspiracy hinges on the chicago world's fair. Gonna have to read Against the Day now

This is brain-damagingly retarded. There was just as many great composers in the 19th century. Before and after these two centuries you're outside the typical canon of classical music, but I'd say those other centuries (particularly the 20th) don't lag behind the central two in the number of valuable composers. And they didn't appear out of nowhere, what the fuck, what does that even mean?
>The stradivarius violin
And? It's one memetic violin maker.
It's really a typical way to compose a conspiracy theory. Extremely surface level knowledge produces some SUPER DUPER WEIRD coincidences and you have a story. Just like all the bullshit you have around Leonardo da Vinci because of Dan Brown.

You have it backwards, these people are saying that history before the 1700s was destroyed and obscured, not that Danny Elfman doesn't exist
>And they didn't appear out of nowhere, what the fuck, what does that even mean?
That the history of music before "classic music" is supposedly basically non existant
>And? It's one memetic violin maker
You're clearly intentionally missing the point now to freak out over a conspiracy theory being posted on Yea Forums which is quite frankly retarded.

>You have it backwards, these people are saying that history before the 1700s was destroyed and obscured
Sorry, I don't follow conspiracy theories well enough to understand this spontaneously. But it still makes zero sense because there's a great number of composers from before that era. Neither do I see how the Strad fits into this portrayal of history. Like, it's meant to be the first real violin, or...?
>That the history of music before "classic music" is supposedly basically non existant
But... classical, "erudite" music was being formed already in the renaissance, or even before, if we count the medieval era (Perotin, Leonin, etc.). That didn't happen? The scores by Perotin don't actually exist or were forgeries?
>You're clearly intentionally missing the point now
No, I just don't understand this theory in the slightest, it makes absolutely no sense and you're not making it any clearer.
>to freak out over a conspiracy theory being posted on Yea Forums which is quite frankly retarded
I'm just completely bewildered by this shit

The powers that be have hidden pre 18th century music from the world because during the 18th century is when tuning in 440hz replaced 432hz.

Penguin has a short book that is a collection of Mozart's letters and writing.

From what I can gather they might answer yes to all of your questions. This is just a small piece of the puzzle these guys are painting. They have a whole alternate history already hinted at ready to be discovered with the lost land of tartaria and the mudfloods/raising of chicago of the 1860s and I guess also the chicago world's fair

Its like the phantom time hypothesis on steroids

I loved John Cage’s book Silence when I read it a few years back, it’s a great premier on his concepts in his own words.

So pure schizo talk? A couple of centuries of music and completely different principles of composition were just invented for the sake of a historical forgery? Find yourself something better to do than watching those youtube videos, user, it's a known thing that they work like drugs.

I don't even know what the phantom time hypothesis is...

It's that the middle ages was the real beginning of civilization and ancient times and the renaissance were all made up and invented by historians or something.

Wow I gotta have that now

kind of a related question to this board - is how music affects human emotion a philosophical or psychological concept? as an example, how we perceive mozart as perfect, would this come under the study of aesthetics?

i worded it kinda badly but hopefully someone can understand the question

Just anything related to music at all will be fine. What's the book?

A History of Western Music and A History of Western Music Theory are both useful to have about, good information in both and they even start with the greeks, if you are into that meme.

sorry, i wasn't talking about a book, just decided to ask that question in a semi-related thread

Sorry it's very early over here and I had a brain stroke reading that

i had a brain stroke writing it so i don't blame you for getting confused

on the scale of a few bars it seems to be the natural domain of psychoacoutistics and can be discussed more idealistically in terms of drama/rhetoric or philosophy on larger scales. the relationship is like a painter's knowledge of color and perspective vs whatever else he has cultivated and wants to express.

i can recommend for psychoacoustics David Huron - Voice Leading: The Science Behind a Musical Art

how to find books: look inside "grove dictionary of music and musicians", at the end of every article there are recommendations. the bibliography section of wikis is fine too.