Is there a genre that blends autobiography, essay and fiction?

Is there a genre that blends autobiography, essay and fiction?

Attached: download (9).jpg (175x288, 11K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historiographic_metafiction
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funes_the_Memorious
culturedallroundman.wordpress.com/tag/avon-book-of-modern-writing-1954/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Yeah
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historiographic_metafiction

Your question has already been answer but I just want to reccoment "Memorias de Hadriano" by Marguerite Yourcenar. It's a fictional but probable autobiography of the Emperor Hadrian, written in the form of a long letter to his successor.
The guy is pretty cultured and admirable. A truly Yea Forums patrician if anyone here actually read.
One of my favourite books so give it a try, please, for me user.

I don't see anything about autobiography there.

I've heard of it. Not really autobiography though.

the book of disquiet

it is an autobiography of a fictional character written in aphorisms so not exactly essays but it is the closest thing i can think of

Most memoirs? They usually go over themes essay style, and are made up BS half the time anyway.

Like this?

Attached: download (11).jpg (181x279, 8K)

Confessions of a mask was like that.

You're gay

What's the best edition of Montaigne (in English)?

florio

Memoirs with little stories and poems on the side.
Can’t recall any though

Herzen’s My Past and Thoughts come close. His anecdotes and character observations are like stories

That's a translation right? I was in fact asking, in full psued fashion, for the patrician printing to have on my shelf.

That genre is called Borges.

Definitely try Borges (Jorge Luis Borges): “Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius,” “The Approach to Al-Mutasim,” “The Aleph,” “Funes, his Memories,” “The Circular Ruins,” “A Biography of Tadeo Isidoro Cruz,” “Pierre Menard, Author of the Quixote.”
All are short stories. There’s a good quality recording free on YouTube with hours of Borges’s stories, the first of which is “The Aleph” which is a really good story to get started with. My personal favorite is Al-Mutasim where Borges criticizes a fake novel so compellingly I thought it was a legitimate critical piece when I first read the story. “Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius,” has more of an Ivory Tower vibe than Al-Mutasim but it’s similar, only instead Borges invents a fake encyclopedia entry about a ancient civilization and its culture, language, etc. If you check it out let us know what you thought!

>Funes, his Memories
It's Funes, the Memorious.

yes
there are a few different translations, you know

Attached: Adolph_Book.jpg (317x494, 19K)

The genre's called The Familiar Essay. Begin with The Spectator.

Donald Frame

is this worth reading?

is the a book that blends autobiography, pulp genre fiction and futanari?

>there are a few different translations, you know
Well they're wrong. The original title is Funes el Memorioso. Literally "Funes the Memorious", not "Funes, his Memories"

well, memorious is not a commonly used word in English, you prat.
and hey - Traduttore, traditore.

It's also not a common word in Spanish, you faggot. It's a pathetic mistranslation on the anglo translator's part.

what's pathetic is you mexican fucktard with your spanglish dictionary prancing about like a screeching dago nonce.
translate your own fucking Borges and let's see you get it published.

>SEETHING faggot
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funes_the_Memorious
Not sure which off-brand English translation you're reading lmao
>translate your own fucking Borges and let's see you get it published
I read it in the original, you colossal mongoloid. Consider suicide.

you really are a retarded dago: I said there were multiple translations of that short story, including both titles you listed earlier. I have the complete fictions, and the anthology with the Hundertwasser painting on the cover, and you can fuck right off and check for yourself.
and yes, thank you for confirming that while your Spanish is probably all right, your English reading comprehension is utter shit: I told you to fuck off and translate it yourself SINCE you read it in the original.
god what a dumb cunt.

Though I second this (it's the one I read through) Florio's both fun and the one that Shakespeare used, and Screech, though slightly wayward (in the direction of Orthodox Catholicism) is perhaps the most accessible, or minimal. Montaigne has in general attracted fine translators, but Frame is the best in English. Also get (and read) Frame's Rabelais fwiw.

>you really are a retarded dago: I said there were multiple translations of that short story, including both titles you listed earlier. I have the complete fictions, and the anthology with the Hundertwasser painting on the cover, and you can fuck right off and check for yourself.
Nobody gives a fuck about what you own lmao
>and yes, thank you for confirming that while your Spanish is probably all right, your English reading comprehension is utter shit: I told you to fuck off and translate it yourself SINCE you read it in the original. god what a dumb cunt
I thought it was implied I wouldn't translate it anything to incompetent cunts like you when I can just read it in the original myself. What you're proposing is ridiculous and retarded and now you're being a bitch because it got ignored. Good translations already exist. That's what that Wiki link proves, you colossal faggot.

the sheer amount of hispanic cope:
since you are "not sure", Penguin/Viking (and probably the earlier Grove Press) is the edition with the title you take exception to.
and boohoo, you don't want to translate Borges for the rest of us, what are you? a part-time faggot salesman for Picador (of the "proper" title) with a superiority complex? GTFO here.
Since you seem to like Wiki, here you go, cabron:
>The title has also been translated as "Funes, His Memory." The Spanish "memorioso" means "having a vast memory," and is a fairly common word in both Spanish and Portuguese languages. Because "memorious" is a rare word in modern English, some translators opt for this alternate translation.
again, fuck off and become a translator if you want to criticise instead of shitting everything up like a typical wog.

I'm not even reading any of that. This conversation is over since my last reply. See:

just admit it Diego: you don't habla Inglese.

What kind of retarded discussion is this ?

Hyperfiction

I do speak English, though. Your entire silly argument is that of "oooh you are criticizing it? Why don't you do it yourself, then? xD". Which is the argument of the weak and the cornered. Everyone has memory but very few are memorious. If you can't see the difference, then that's your problem. Now, fuck off.

>fairly common word in both Spanish and Portuguese languages
Memorioso is not a common word in Spanish. I've actually never heard it outside of the Borges story.

this is ridiculous and laden with bad faith. Yes, I was rude and abrasive, but you are deliberately projecting: the argument of the truly weak and cornered is your own, namely that you criticise something you are unwilling to investigate further (the translation in question is the most commonly available and standard edition in English), and dismissing everything with some appeal to an imaginary linguistic authority, and finally, refusing to consider translation since criticism comes to you so easily.
I translate from other languages myself, fwiw, and your last line is plainly silly. I know what the word 'memorious' means, and I prefer that translation to the other, more old-fashioned sounding "Funes, his memories". My problem is neither with Borges - who had fluent English and who looked carefully at his translations in that language -, so again, careful with your sweeping condemnation - , nor with his translations, it's with your moronic attitude on here.
I do not read Spanish, that was simply quoted from the wiki page on Ficciones. If what you say is true, than the more unusual 'memorious' would indeed be more appropriate. Again, this requires a degree of reading comprehension that some are sorely deficient in.

My attitude? You're the one who started calling me a "mexican fucktard" out of nowhere when I simply pointed out that the title was wrong (which it is). And speaking of Borges himself, the translation he approved of while he was alive and the one he actually helped doing was that of Norman Thomas Di Giovanni, who translated it as Funes the Memorious. So, have a nice day, pal.

I believe we can all agree that Funes would remember all of this.

That Borges approved of one translation doesn't mean he disapproved of another, but it's a few years since I've read on the subject so I cannot say what he thought of the other one.
culturedallroundman.wordpress.com/tag/avon-book-of-modern-writing-1954/
ok, so Anthony Kerrigan was the first to use that particular coinage, not Di Giovanni.
But I really don't think you've grasped what translation consists of, which would not be surprising if you are just natively bilingual (as opposed to someone with a higher education in the subject. Perhaps you've never heard of the expression "belles infidèles". There may be mistranslations (which this isn't a case of) but there are no 'wrong' translations as such.
Anyhow, good day to you too.