Is Walden worth a read? I've been thinking about getting into some transcendentalism/American Romanticism

Is Walden worth a read? I've been thinking about getting into some transcendentalism/American Romanticism

Attached: 220px-Benjamin_D._Maxham_-_Henry_David_Thoreau_-_Restored_-_greyscale_-_straightened.jpg (220x319, 14K)

Of course it is. Yes.

Yes. It actually is pretty incredible the foresight Thoreau demonstrates in anticipating cultural trends and the influence of technology. There's a passage where he reflects upon the invention and spread of the Telegram which has stuck with me.

>"“We are in great haste to construct a magnetic telegraph from Maine to Texas; but Maine and Texas, it may be, have nothing important to communicate... We are eager to tunnel under the Atlantic and bring the old world some weeks nearer to the new; but perchance the first news that will leak through into the broad flapping American ear will be that Princess Adelaide has the whooping cough.”

Transcendentalism is the redpill user.

Moby Dick is better

How are Moby Dick and Walden even comparable?

They are both Transcendentalist literature, unless of course you either 1. Never read Moby Dick or 2. Didn't understand shit about it

I also wrote a 20 page essay last year in Uni comparing Moby Dick and Paradise Lost (Ahab and Lucifer mostly). Trust me it is transcendentalist lit.

reminds me of based Tolkien.

Attached: 1551888442197.jpg (1022x635, 169K)

>mfw the early United States was the most literate, typographically-centered society to ever exist and its all gone because of the telegram walking so television could run.

Attached: shep.jpg (1280x720, 53K)

Reminder that Tolkien was a based and redpilled anarcho-monarchist

Both authors compare themselves to natural forces in the first chapter :)

Damn...I knew Tolkien was based but not this based

we're reaching basedness levels that shouldn't be possible

ah, yes, the ever wise undergrad
kys you insufferable faggot

if you unironically consider moby dick transcendentalis you are an utter retard

They are US northeastern liberal universalist works

Edgar Allen Poe was a faggot who drank himself to death because he couldnt deal with the fact. I want NOTHING to do with him

what did he mean by this?

I miss when america had a enviromentialism boner, the best you get now is just retards thinking solar panels will solve our woes

>Some scholars have suggested that homoerotic sentiments run through his writings and concluded that he was homosexual
> It has been argued that the long paean in Walden to the French-Canadian woodchopper Alek Therien, which includes allusions to Achilles and Patroclus, is an expression of conflicted desire.

doesn't melville repeatedly reject transcendentalism through ahab...?

Did Thoreau really say that? HUH? BASED?

based

Melville and the reader are reflected in Ishmael, not Ahab.
Ahab is the industrialist elite of America, while Ishmael represents the common man, adrift. Melville endorses transcendentalism through Ishmael's embrace of the chaos of the sea and adoration for the brilliance of Moby Dick, while Ahab seeks only to constrain it for his own egotistical gain.

lol no. dont listen to everything your teacher tells you kiddo.

Go ahead then. Provide an alternative instead of a dead end.

I thought it was about the whale.

The sea is Nietzsche’s death of god reflected back at us. There’s nothing to transcend into; it’s all that is left after the human thought-drama of will turns upon itself. Hence why Melville is associated with Dark Romanticism rather than Transcendentalism. Melville’s too devoutly a Bardolator to posit anything like transcendence in the Emersonian sense. He harbors the pessimism of Lear and the complexity of Hamlet.

the final telegram was sent in 2013

I always viewed Moby Dick as a trancendentalist cautionary tale against industrialisation.

Because Ahab and other crew members like Stubbs and Flask don't respect nature to begin with (perhaps best illustrated in the chapter where they carve up the whale and also the steak eating chapter) there can be no trancendentalist salvation for them due to them failing to seek it out. In the end, the sea (the product of nature) consumes the industrious man with complete indifference. That's very in line with trancendentalist thought.

I feel bad for Thoreau that everyone always uses the picture of him with the hideous neckbeard and not the other pic of him where he looks quite suave

Attached: Henry_David_Thoreau_-_Dunshee_ambrotpe_1861.jpg (2071x2601, 1.25M)