Revolutionized modal logic

when he was a teenager

this guy has to be the greatest living philosopher

agree or disagree?

Attached: saul kripke.jpg (332x450, 25K)

yes.

He also made essentialism respectable again in metaphysics.

If you have a tenancy to want to compartmentalize reality, then you'll love modal logic. If you love modal logic, Kripke is a great source of excitement. He's a great logician for sure. Greatest living philosopher is a strange term to throw around, though.

yah, too bad he’s literally too autistic to give a fuck and seriously reexert himself in the field. dude hasen’t done anything of serious interest for some thirty years now. a waste of talent.

I don't see any other living philosopher that comes close to Kripke, either in the analytical or continental or any other tradition. Anyone that comes close to his accomplishments

i mean Einstein didn't do shit after GR, you make big accomplishments like that you don't have to do other shit

aren't most of his recent papers just obscurely and informally passed around by students and other academics?

would you guys say Kripke is more intelligent than Ed Witten?

Attached: ed witten.jpg (798x1200, 135K)

Yeah, but there’s only two that have serious substance, even then they pale in comparison to his work in N+N. Just watch any of his lectures available on YouTube. Dudes the definition of what’s wrong with analytic philosophy, everyone’s just too starstruck to say it, save Putnam who continuously did good work throughout his career.

Kant. That’s what we need. That’s what Kripke could’ve been. He’s just literally inept.

absolutely. kripke is probably the only bonafide savant in academia.

>modal logic

Attached: Marjorie. get me my beating stick.jpg (900x1217, 104K)

So what if he hasn't done any important work in years, his accomplishments in the 70 define him...

EInstein didn't do shit after general relativity in 1915, he is still the best physicist of the 20th century

Godel was considered the greatest logician after the incompleteness theorems and if he didn't do shit after that he still would of been

Kripke is still an important philosopher, more so than any in the continental tradition

the only philosophy in general is analytical

everything else is mystical literature

Okay, let’s get down and dirty here. At the end of the day Kripke is still working within a paradigm. Nothing he says can’t be dug out of Leibiniz or Kant with a tedious enough reading. His fame/the impact of his work is largely due to the context he was working in and reacting against (pic related ). Whereas Godel, debatably, and most certaintly Einstein shifted the rules of their respective fields, Kripke did not, save a few technical points. It’s kind of ludicrous to suggest Kripke’s work is on par with Einstein; philosophy is frankly not that exciting. I’d argue Kripke’s contribution is his stuff on essentialism, which really just opens up the same shit Descartes was questioning centuries before.

If you’re referring to Kant, Kant can most certaintly be interpreted as an analytic philosopher. Mill sure took him that way, Frege and Russell sure did.

yeah i mean i would wager its harder to shift fields in philosophy than natural science

Kant is pretty much the only philosopher Analytics and Continentals would agree upon

This is completely false, hence the difference between Hegel and J.S. Mill, and the arguments surrounding the A edition of the Critique and the B edition. Or better yet, go compare someone like Schopenhaur to the ideal language project starting with Frege and Russel. Kant is most certaintly the paradigm both traditions are working within, but the split in interpretations is obvious by the end of the Transcendental Analaytic.

how did Einstein change science, he just modified Newton's laws?

Is that what philosophy is for you user? A list of Accomplishments? Confirmed for never going to make "it".

>a waste of talent

Stfu you fucking elitist piece of shit.

>muh, you have to do something if youre good at it!!!!!!

Go outside you loser.