Was Gandalf the same "species" of "angel" as Sauron, but with his powers blocked?

Was Gandalf the same "species" of "angel" as Sauron, but with his powers blocked?

Attached: 20190318_142337.jpg (373x210, 38K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arien.
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

If you wanna phrase like it's a comic book, kind of. Gandalf was also a maiar, but his purpose was not guide, not conquer. He stood in opposition to Sauron as one who could ignite the fire of hope in the hearts of men, leading them to great deeds, rather than dominating them for his own ends.

>not guide
TO guide*
This is what I get for never proof-reading.

It was not blocked. He was plain weaker. He could match other lesser maiar like balrogs though.

I got the impression that if he used his full powers he would have ended up being evil like Sauron

I have to admit I really don't understand how 'god's plan' works in tolkien though

Why didn't Gandalf teleport them to where they needed to go?

No such thing as teleportation in that world.

Eru is a lazy god and didn't let him have that power. Gandalf could probably pull something like that off if he set out to but only if he gave up his reason for living and chose to rule men.

Reminder that Eru let Melkor spec into a form that let him stomp all the valar and waited an entire age before banning him from Arda.

People get the false impression that Maiar are way more powerful than they actually are, and I think it's because the movie. With Gandalf his mostly consists of his ability to inspire people and with Sauron it was originally his ability to persuade people, and after he was made ugly his power really manifested itself as a will to dominate. It made creatures feel submissive to him. These guys aren't magic wizards flinging lightning bolts at each other while levitating around. Magic is usually pretty subtle in LOTR.

Sauron isn't even a particularly good fighter considering he got beat up by a wolf named Huan.

It's all according to keikaku. Merlkor's punishment was seeing all the evil shit he did result in something good. He kept trying to fuck up creation when the Valar were building Arda but all it ended up doing is making Arda more beautiful.

>People get the false impression that Maiar are way more powerful than they actually are, and I think it's because the movie.
Gandalf tackled an ancient demon the size of an apartment building into hell and then killed it. The fact that he he handicaps himself to the point of almost getting offed by goblins/orcs/etc. doesn't mean that his power level is low.

this thread reeks of virginity

You reek of shitballs and jizm, faggot.

t. seething incel
wash your benis, pucko!

Nope I'm 47 with four kids. Try again, fagholio.

too bad none of them were fathered by you, cucko!

gottem!
*dabs*

nothin personnel, step-dad

Attached: tenor.gif (498x359, 408K)

Aren’t Balrogs Maiar too? Why they were an even match, right?

Here's your extra (You), be on your way now.

Attached: 4chan_out.jpg (490x424, 69K)

>These guys aren't magic wizards flinging lightning bolts
Doesn’t Gandalf literally do this in The Hobbit? When they’re ambushed in the Goblin cave.

Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of Yea Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!

Good pasta

You're an idiot. I feel sorry for your parents.

The descriptions of Balrogs in the books are very vague so we have no idea how big they are. They're also not as powerful as the movies show either considering the fact that one elf killed many of them at the same time.

Yes but the material form Gandalf took limited his power and also he gradually seems to have lost his memory of the time before being Gandalf

Based

A whole goblin army was terrified by them. It killed all the dwarves who previously inhabited the city. I don't believe the movies portrayed the balrog falsely.

Yes the goblins are terrified of the balrog, so what? The entire goblin race is terrified of Sauron. You can believe whatever you want but the text is vague and there's no reason to think they're as big as the movies portray.

I imagine they're not uniformly one size, they aren't really a species or race after all. If I remember correctly they're kind of shadowy/ nebulous and in LoTR the balrog in moria gets a handful of lines describing what he looks like.
I knoow there's a whole controversy by autists who insist that the balrog shouldn't be depicted with wings and is more like a dark ghosty thing but I always thought they were knd of like minor shapeshifters
So they can grow and shrink, like how the balrog's "wings" of shadow spread to the very corners of the cavern. I thnk that's what it says anyway

Let's not minimize the fact that it killed just about an entire dwarf nation

goddamn wolf immigrants

He creates a big flash of light, iirc

Balrog and Gandalf are evenly matched and it almost cost him his life. He was saved from death by a higher power after.

Gandalf's fire and lightning abilities are actually because he wields an Elven ring, not because he is a Maiar. A lot of people seem to miss this, but he's able to do these things (including his fireworks) because of that ring, which is the ring of fire. Cirdan of the Havens gave him that ring to use it fighting Sauron.

>The descriptions of Balrogs in the books are very vague so we have no idea how big they are. They're also not as powerful as the movies show either considering the fact that one elf killed many of them at the same time.

Power levers are totally accurate.

Remember that Ungoliant, after sucking the two trees dry, could take Melkor captive when she asked for the Silmarils and Melkor refued. Ungoliant gained so much size that it was probably the strongest creature by power level in whole Arda at that point momentarily considering the books tell that even Melkor was terrified of her: Melkor screams for help and the Balrogs come to his aid and whip the shit out of Ungoliant

Balrogs together >Prime Ungoliant > Melkor

Remember that the spirit which eventually became the fucking Sun and the Stars in the mythos were literally same spirits as Balrogs, "spirits of fire", but Melkor corrupted the Balrogs in the beginning, but they were of the same order and magnitude like the spirit of sun "or them who guide the vessels of the sun"

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arien.

Attached: ungoliant_and_melkor_by_rubendevela-d2803ie.jpg (1209x661, 158K)

where the fuck did this ungoliant came from

This is why i love coming to Yea Forums.
I read the Silmarillion every year.

IIRC she's one of the nameless (well, formerly nameless) creatures that dwell in the depths of Arda. I guess they're like Eru's easter eggs except they eat you.

>actually want to know answer to OP's question and about how maia power works in general so I can better appreciate the books by not having to constantly assume Gandalf is just a demigod LARPing as vulnerable
>thread ends in inconclusive back-and-forth

Never gotten blue-balled by J.R.R. Tolkien before

Attached: 1552673585233.gif (720x404, 1.78M)

Just stop being dumb and read the thread. There are several types of creatures - the children of Illuvatar, being Elves and Men; dwarves; ents, and minor creatures; and the Ainur. Among them there are a dozen or so (or was it 14?) particularly mighty ones called Valar, and the rest are Maiar. Both Gandalf and Sauron belong in that category. Maiar have strengths and weaknesses and purpose, and they typically align with one of the Valar. Sauron is about domination, and he is a former lieutenant of Morgoth. Gandalf is concerned with inspiration and guidance, and he serves Nienna. That's what he does. Asking which one is stronger is pointless. It's like asking whether a marine would be stronger than a civil engineer. You can assume that the marine is stronger, but you don't know because being an engineer doesn't mean that you don't know how to fight, but the whole question is irrelevant because why would an engineer start fights when his role is designing stuff.

I did read the thread. That's why my post implied, that I had read the thread, and it had people disagreeing with each other on this subject. You posting your stance again, one of the ones people disagree about, doesn't resolve that problem. Not sure how you missed this.

Thanks based user,have a you for doing the mods work

I had no clue any of this exists
>never read simulacra and simarillion

I personally think talk of "power levels" in Tolkien is pretty lame. It's a mythological setting; there will be conflicting accounts of certain character's might, and how they can use it. Gandalf defeated a Balrog, and so did some of the elves of the First Age; Sauron was defeated in combat by a group of elven and mannish kings; Túrin Turambar, a mortal man (pre-Numenor), slew Glaurung, the Father of Dragons et cetera.

A point I'd like to make about "Magic" is that it's only really considered a spectacular thing by the mortal races; to the elves and any other higher being it's a natural part of the world they can interact with, like when they craft magical rings or swords - it is the workings of the Unseen, which men, hobbits and dwarves cannot interact with through almost any means, as they are mostly present in "the Seen", whilst elves and other great spirits (like the Istari) exist both in the Seen and Unseen at the same time. Take Glorfindel, whose spiritual presence in the Unseen is like a blinding beacon, spooking the Nazgûl who only exist in that realm, and are only given physical form by the black cloaks gifted by Sauron. I should add that the mortal races do have a kind of presence in the Unseen, but it's nothing compared to that of Elves.

Bump for any Tolkien discussion.

i'd like to see you fight a wolf mr. big guy

fun fact, Tolkein based Gandalf off of the germanic god Wotan/Odin

To achieve real beauty you need tragedy.

more news at 11

Huan was a hound, not a wolf, and a hound of Valar now less, and big enough for a grown adult to ride.
It was deemed that he could only be killed by an even greater beast, and Sauron, being an arrogant idiot, changed into a wolf, thinking he could best Huan.
But Huan handed Sauron's ass back to him and sent him running back to his Master in tears.