So what's wrong with stoicism? Do you think theres any flaw with that philosophy?

So what's wrong with stoicism? Do you think theres any flaw with that philosophy?

Pic not ralated

Attached: 1552089335531.jpg (1024x722, 129K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Dt64AWqfFdo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The problem with stoicism is that most of the writing about it is lost so we have a very limited view of what it even is, not to mention the surface level understanding that most people have of what is know.

It's merely another form of despair.

Progressives are self-conscious about their nihilistic decadence, so if you champion self-restraint you must just be an incel

It won't get you any pussy, that's for sure.

Nietzsche’s critiques dude. Massive cope masking as muh self-discipline and resignation.

Summarize for those of us who are low IQ?

The problem is stoicism is saying if you are cucked you shouldn't let that change your mood or make you angry. It's an ideology of repression, since your mood only depends on yourself.

What's the point of getting mad at being cucked if there's nothing you can do about it?

eastern philosophy but for western men

Is Eastern philosophy supposed to be bad? Aren't the Chinese taking over the world?

when did i say it was bad ?

>Aren't the Chinese taking over the world?
New user coming through. The Chinese have no idea what is the Tao because they burned all that with their cultural revolution. Stoicism is the poor man's Tao and usually is a massive cope.

>Stoicism is the poor man's Tao
I thought it was the poor man's Buddhism

Also even if the Chinese burnt their Taoism texts aren't they found elsewhere in the world? I refuse to believe the west or other Asians never got their copies

Doesn't "Be like water" imply you can experience emotions? Stoicism is more "Be like a rock".

Something can be both cope and valid

Very good user.

>Also even if the Chinese burnt their Taoism texts aren't they found elsewhere in the world? I refuse to believe the west or other Asians never got their copies
When i said "burned" i meant that they stop cultivating the Tao. The texts may be there for everyone, but they are considered relics that nobody understands anymore (or needs to).

I was assuming you were the guy who brought up Nietzsche.

Yes but that has nothing to do with true stoicism. I regard the texts of taoism, Heraclitus, and a few others as true stoicism.

Attached: This2.png (446x305, 7K)

>lol it's just cope
is not a critique. Everything is cope.

submitting to a life when you could improve it

Because it is based on an utterly retarded anthropocentric metaphysics.
>Actually all of the known world is perfectly logical, except for people who have a choice to not be so.

This thread proves this post

It's a bit uncanny isn't it?

I literally did in the post lmao

There’s more nuance than that dumbass, but foremost saying “is not a critique” is among the most ironic phrases used by a lazy poster on this board. Either you’re too stupid to figure out the critique or you’re commiting the very thing you charge, except you sound awfully more like a whiny bitch. Like who tf died and made you the arbiter of “critique?”

Nietzsche's critique isn't about getting angry about stuff that's out of your control. It's rather the fact that stoics think it gains them points in a godly abacus. Really, there's nothing that values your repression. You shouldn't get mad about getting cucked, perhaps, but there's as much of a point in that as there is in self-discipline.

Like Communism Stoicism is a religion not a philosophy.

Unfortunately, today there are very few philosophies that aren't in some way compromised by magical thinking.

>Aren't the Chinese taking over the world?
You got that right! Communism by 2050.
Praise Xi

Attached: basedandxipilled.jpg (820x547, 38K)

I don't know man, you seemed to think "it's just cope" was a good enough summary of his critique lmao. No need to get all emotional about it. But I'll elaborate, "cope" used as a pejorative is completely meaningless. Anything anyone has ever put any effort into was them trying to cope with whatever bullshit. I don't really care about Nietzsche or stoicism btw, I'm just tired of people using "cope" as if it meant anything.

In the interest of actually contributing to the thread though, here's someone smarter than you or me chiming in on this: youtube.com/watch?v=Dt64AWqfFdo

'Be still my heart; thou hast known worse than this.'

Attached: Odysseus.jpg (1600x1893, 749K)

Appeal to nature fallacy

What the point in supressing feelings? As long you don't let it completely overcome you, I don't see the problem in crying out in anger.

It seems like stoics have no self control over their desire for self control.

it's for betas

Neither do the actual Stoics, it’s only Marcus Aurelius bronies who think that way.

Actual Stoicism is about not r9k-ing when you feel emotions. If you’re going to cry, cry and be done. “Add no autism.”

Cope does mean something. Language is a game fren, words are only game pieces.

nietzches critique is massive strawman.
"Lol how could you NOT act in accord with nature..... Oh btw I mean nature in a totally different way than you did but nevermind that"
and also calling stoics tyrants over themselves isn't even a critique or putdown like thats the goal fucko

it prohibits self-expression and enables one to suppress their inherent responsiveness to situations all for the sake of being rational. With that being said, the emphasis places on impermanence of all things is something I've found to be helpful. Although, you don't need stoicism to realize that everything is transitory

stoicism is like asceticism without the interesting parts

more like communism 2020
#YANGGANG

What even is stoicisim exactly? How would you guys define it?

Then what does it mean?

Cope is what you do when you can't do something so you do something else.

So then what are stoics doing and what can't they do?

Yeah you shouldn’t let it affect your mood too much, but you should also leave that bitch

atleast today i dont think anyone who acts like a stoic does it for virtue or godpoints. they do it because they think it is a way to maximise their own personal positive experience. being angry is not a positive feeling. being sad is not a positive feeling. if getting angry can lead to you change something and then positivity in the future it can be a good thing, sure, but often times there is nothing it leads to other than being miserable.
so instead you just accept it for what it is and move on and only act on the things you know you can change to make things better.