Should I read the Bhagavat Gita before starting with Guenons Study of the Hindu Doctrines...

Should I read the Bhagavat Gita before starting with Guenons Study of the Hindu Doctrines? Other recommendations are welcome too

Attached: bhagwat-gita-647_052217105025.jpg (647x404, 62K)

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.org/details/Bhagavad-Gita.with.the.Commentary.of.Sri.Shankaracharya
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

you should read my dick with your mouth

Attached: B6891E025D9244BDA20C69A8F9F9C7BF.jpg (612x612, 92K)

Tip for you my friend. No western 'academic erudite' will ever truly capture and understand the principles, teachings, and bare essence of the Bhagavad Gita. As long as they look at it with their western perspective, they will never, ever truly understand it, and I can guarantee you that.

Just read the Gita on your own and see if the discourse between Arjuna and Krishna resonate with you. Consider it on its merit and your own terms.

I would probably recommend reading it after Guenon's book rather than before.

Some other good books about Hinduism are Essentials of Indian Philosophy by Hiriyanna and Essentials of Hinduism by Bhaskarananda. The Upanishads are pretty central to Hinduism and should be read after the Gita, Radnakrishnan has a good translation set in one volume with complete translations of all the major Upanishads with additional minor ones.

No western 'academic erudite' will ever truly capture and understand the principles
Probably, but isn't it better to still have some kind of understanding of it, rather than have no knowledge about it at all?

>As long as they look at it with their western perspective
I'm very much a follower of the eleatic school of thought, does this count as 'western perspective' as well?'

Thank you for the recommendations

Please tell me what I must do to best understand the Gita.

No, you can place them both safely in the trash at any time.

t. Christian upset at Westerners wanting to read beyond just the Western canon

Guenon's intro the Hindu Doctrines is an incredibly important text to beginning to understand what your modern biases are. It is not an end in of itself, nor did Guenon intend for it to be. Rather, it should begin to give you a good idea of the spirit of a traditional society, akin to that in which the Gita was composed.
That being said, the Gita is not a particularly difficult work to understand. There is a reason it is so popular. You can read it before and get something out of it. Just, for your own sake, be humble when reading it.

This is so pessimistic, naive and quite silly IMO, it implies that there is something metaphysical, something 'magic' in these teachings. It comes across as profound but is actually trite. Who the hell are you to say what someone can or can't understand? Are you implying that you understand it and can't teach it to someone else? Or that you don't understand it and if so how the fuck would you know?

Try Alan Watts, he has hundreds of lectures on Hinduism, Christianity and Buddhism, pantheism is a major player in Hinduism and he covers it extremely articulately. Can I say that I "understand" it, maybe not, but if you want to play that game who does and how could you ever know?

>"bhagavadgita is amazing, read it"
>it's actually incomprehensible and the text has no flow, and it doesn't make any sense

>Alan Watts
No wonder you can't understand the teachings. The entire basis of traditional knowledge is that it is passed down through initiation and expressed through sacred symbolism. It cannot be taught in some lecture by a hippie Californian, much less to someone who hasn't even reached the first stages of moral purification.

Attached: 1552757588166.gif (720x404, 1.78M)

H-how big is it? I hope you showered user-kun.

I agree with you but I think he might just have meant that the Western lens itself distorts the essence of the clearly Eastern work, and therefore not to rely so heavily on one of their interpretations but simply your own.

h-how do i morally purify myself, desu?
i already try to be very kind to others and be as selfless as possible. is that enough

>rely on your own interpretation
But user, that is a distinctly modern, western lens. Individualism was the first stage of the loss of religion in the west. All traditional religions are unequivocally against it. If you wish to understand eastern religions, the first thing you should do is NOT trust yourself, nor anyone who has not been initiated.

>everyone I don't like is a Christain, Christianity ruined everything, fuck you mom, fuck you.

On another note, what's the best translation of The Gita?

I just think it's all very gay.

I don't know your situation. That is why you should look for a spiritual father. He will guide you since he has gone down the path before.

>it is passed down through initiation and expressed through sacred symbolism
>who hasn't even reached the first stages of moral purification.

Define sacred, define moral. No, not even hoighty toighty abstract concepts are free from rational thought. Same thing the christian's do with 'faith' and 'mystery'. Nothing is safe.

I'm just trying to elucidate the other user's remark. I have no position in this matter.

Define abstract concepts. Who says they are as such? The fact that you use "define" as an argument is a bit concerning. I would suggest you investigate more regarding the "rational" with regards to traditional religion. Once again, you do not seem to understand what the supra-rational character of metaphysics implies.

His comment was really ignorant, unsubstantiated, and similar to sentiments seen here by self-proclaimed Christians. I wasn't commenting on Christianity itself, but naturally thought he was one of the ones who lurk here.

How do I personally do this? How do I know who to trust? And where do I go in the first place? A Hindu temple?

In the context of this thread, they are relatively abstract words. I'm using it in a communicative sense.

I use define because you strike me as the type that is unwilling to ever try to articulate your beliefs as a defense mechanism, maybe a superiority complex. I am open to the idea that there are philosophies that are incredibly complex, but to use the old "oh the only way you can truly understand this is by" reeks of pretentious bullshit. For example, many say that taking a particular drug completely changes their perspective on life, but are they unable to express the feeling completely? Should they not even try? I wouldn't dismiss it so quickly.

Byzantine rite Christian Monasteries are known for their special emphasis on spiritual guidance. I would suggest looking there; if you are a westerner it would be much more straightforward for you than a Hindu temple. That is what has helped me. If you are a neophyte though, regardless of what you believe, make sure to read up on the tradition so you do not waste anyone's time. Not saying you would, but monk's have things to attend to as well.

Attached: 1551471509805.png (480x480, 396K)

It is impossible to convey a subjective metaphysical experience into the objective to be understood by all. You don't seem to understand that not everything can be quantitatively reduced to mere statistics and words. You seem to have a defense mechanism yourself, that somehow anything that goes beyond that which is immediately intelligible at your current state of being is nonexistent. I have not claimed that I am the superior recipient of some God-given wisdom. Rather I am simply trying to explain that there is an evident spiritual hierarchy. To claim that all metaphysics contained within initiatory symbols can be understood by the neophyte is simply absurd.

Do you know if they have groups in Canada?

As an outsider, who doesn't know much about this symbolism stuff, can you please give me an example of what they are and mean? Asking genuinely. I'm a symbol-let.

Yes they do; google "Byzantine Catholic monastery" or "Orthodox Christian monastery" to find local ones. I would recommend reading some books on eastern Christianity though before seeking their wisdom. The book "The Way of a Pilgrim" is a spiritual classic from Russia that is both mystical and realistic. I recommend that to you given the fact you seem to be newly interested in such topics of spirituality. Forgive me if this is not the case, but I cannot help but feel it to be so, given the way you address monasteries as "groups."
This is just one path of many, and if you wish to go the Western Catholic route like many of my spiritual brethren have, I would recommend Saint John of the Cross. Ultimately, spirituality is a personal journey and you can make an effort as this very moment to pray. All traditions value prayer. Be thankful for your being for a minute or two.
I wish you luck user.

>It is impossible to convey a subjective metaphysical experience into the objective to be understood by all

By your own admission then nothing can be done to convey or confer it.

This is one of the key problems religion and the religious have created. They have put a stranglehold on these "subjective metaphysical experiences". They've raped the word spiritual. If you want to claim that these experiences can only be derived from a certain religion or religious awakening then the burden of proof is on you. I am perfectly capable of feeling the numinous from Rachmaninoff, Modigliani, the death of a family member or a drop of rain. To have the gall to presume that these experiences can only be won in a way that another sees fit is extraordinarily obtuse.

I'm not sure if you can become a Hindu user, I think you have to be born one, otherwise you'll automatically be casteless. Not that I am discouraging you from learning from their metaphysical doctrines, however

Attached: 83.jpg (430x355, 34K)

Not that user, but thank you for this post. How do I however start this, do I just knock on the door and ask someone to listen to my ramblings hoping they can give me advise? Also, will orthodox monks give advise to a roman catholic?

Thank you, user. I'll look into their locations. I'll try to read that book as well. And yes I am new, so thanks for the extra help :)

True, I just meant "how would I find a guru" or the like. I know "teachers" are a very common and emphasized thing in Hindu spirituality, and the user earlier mentioned one, so I was just asking how a layperson might receive such tutelage.

Heinrich Zimmer - india's philosophy

Perhaps 's rec was made completely aware that he was talking to a western audience.
Makes sense t b h. Why fall for someone else's biases when you can fall for your own lol?

archive.org/details/Bhagavad-Gita.with.the.Commentary.of.Sri.Shankaracharya

why are you so gay?

No, you must find a guru who will read it and explain it for you.

Sorry, I haven't yet reached the second level of my purification.

I personally agree with you on the basic notion of spirituality as ground which should not become so mystical as to become meaningless. Do you personally think mysticism should aim for clarity of exposition or profundity of assertion? Straightforward and lucid, letting the ideas be seen clearly and evaluated for what they are, or poetic and less-clear, requiring the reader to attempt to excavate what they've read? Is there harm in writing about mystical subjects in a logical, lucid, and almost 'scientific' manner?

I don't care. But I don't like the notion that these admittedly "undefinable" (ironically a defining word) moments we have are relegated exclusively to religion.

When someone feels a profound feeling, and then claims that it is god. I respect that. Just don't expect me to agree when you tell me that it was god. Be open minded enough to consider that those moments are not inclusive; it's not just the guru that has rights to them.

>reading a poo manual

Attached: 1543807852606.jpg (306x306, 20K)

Fucking purists.

>see Alan Watts
>brain is triggered
>"New age spiritualists are subverting what hinduism/buddhism is!"

You are a square.

Everyone else in this thread just parroting words with no real understanding. Have you any of you faggots even experienced a spiritual awakening? Enlightenment? No? Then stfu, and stop telling people you cant do this and you cant do that. You people get so triggered when "hippie new agers appropriate eastern philosophy" because its a misinterpretation or some other bullshit excuse.

>Yea Forums is filled with purists whose mouths water for the semen of following tradition to exact letter.

>implying misinterpretation is a bullshit excuse
sorry, what the fuck?

Guenonfag
Guenonfag
Calling Guenonfag
Running in my head yeah

Recommend.

Attached: 24fa49fc1d68d6435d759604d9d279d4--hinduism-quotes-krishna-quotes.jpg (236x235, 16K)

why do you worry without cause?
whom do you fear without reason?
who can kill you?
the soul is neither born, nor does it die.

whatever happend, happenend for good.
whateve is happening , happeneing for good.
whatever will happen. will also happen for the good only.