Hey Yea Forums, what language should I learn in Uni?

Hey Yea Forums, what language should I learn in Uni?

>Latin
>Attic Greek
>Russian
>Japanese (only good study abroad option)

Mostly looking for something that I'll read and write with, but "practicality" is a significant bonus.

Attached: tumblr_pmavz74xwV1qeav2k_540.png (480x473, 276K)

>Japanese
based
>Russian
based
>Greek
cringe
>Latin
cringe and bluepilled

learn an actual language, so either jap or russian

How are Japanese and Russian based? They are two of the world's worst cultures.

t.anglocuck

>Latin
Not a spoken language anymore, but you can read old texts.
Latin has been translated for centuries though, so I doubt you would gain much additional meaning by reading the original

>Greek
Same, but you could actually speak to Greeks.

>Russian
Russian translations aren't that good and Russian literature is really good, so a better option than Greek and Latin.
Also, it would allow you to experience Russian internet culture which isn't too bad I heard.

>Japanese
Best one I think. Translations are horrible and a lot of meaning is lost, since some stuff is untranslatable.
Very big world of internet culture as well, which you could experience way better.
I'm currently learning Japanese myself, so my answer is biased.

thank you so much comfy user

Attached: tumblr_ph6pcmsDFz1x5gwxfo1_250.gif (105x100, 20K)

Talking to modern Greeks in Attic Greek would most likely result in confused stares and laughter.

I thought only the writing was different. Is the spoken language different as well?

Attached: 1530431802728.gif (500x281, 389K)

How about Spanish? Mexicans expect me to just know it almost every day of my life... it’s ridiculous!

The grammar of Modern Greek has been greatly simplified, and the vocabulary and pronunciation have also evolved. In fact, the alphabet is about the only thing that hasn't changed.

huh, looks like I had that really wrong in my mind.

It'd be like taking to an Italian in Latin

you said what I actually wanted to say minus the shitposting

Even Italians have problems talking to Italians. I constantly see Italians online complaining about not being able to understand people from Naples to the point where they have to talk in English to understand each other.

Chinese. Language of superpower + great cultural legacy.

Latin. Ovid, Horace, Dante, Shakespeare, Joyce all knew it.

Chinese: great cultural legacy of ripping off of their neighbour 50 years ahead of them, how the tables have turned

>t. user of Phoenician letters and Arabic numbers.

Unironically Polish

literary canons are strong

For literature all these are good, but keep in mind just how difficult japanese and russian are. As an anglophone currently learning mandarin, I can tell you that getting a literary level of understanding for the more difficult languages is really arduous.
Japanese and Russian will give you the literature of those two nations, Greek has of course an excellent literary legacy, but Latin was the intellectual lingua franca for a thousand years. I can't see how the others compare to Latin. None of those are particularly practical.

Attached: main-qimg-095935a52bc2d904578af167c8fbd8aa.png (860x3034, 156K)

tfw polish people spend 9 months pregnant only to name their kid Damian

learn whatever you will be motivated to learn outside the classroom and continue on when you are done with university. your motivation is the most important factor in language learning. that being said, latin will give you a better command of english words and grammar.

learn Latin and then learn every other language with ease

Polish

>Best one I think. Translations are horrible and a lot of meaning is lost, since some stuff is untranslatable.
This is a very good point. Also, think about all the kinky h-games you can play.

the best part is how p*lish is censored