Do you remember what you've read?

I can't even talk about certain books even though I've read them twice. I remember nothing.

Attached: Howmuchdoyou.png (1024x768, 38K)

>tfw can remember odd factoids I've read once a decade before, most of the textbooks i've read, could take every test i've ever taken and get at least 70% even if it was ten years ago, probably 90% on most of them other than math
>remember every book I've ever read, for the most part, after age 15
>remember writing styles, thoughts, emotions, snippets of beautiful prose, plots, etc from all the books
>only thing i can't remember well is character names
idk, stop being brainlet i guess. how tf do you forget something you've read?
iq in the 130s btw

Same problemo here. There are some books that I even really enjoyed I can't remember. Early philosophy doesn't stand a chance in my memory logs, and I'll usually leave a non-fiction with a few descriptive adjectives.

same
it's tough to be a retard

Quite simple solution: practice active recall. I have a document where I write down cast and plot elements blind (i.e without looking back at the text) and then check with the text on points I forgot.

Do this a few times for every book and you'll be astonished at how much your recall improves.

then think about the damn book after you put it away, think about it a month later, 6 month's later, a year later, I have a list of the books I've read and I remember a reasonable amount of it

I might not every single specific detail but yes. If you are in doubt just read the book a second time which everyone should do anyway if you liked the book

I always admire the lengths brainlets have to go through to accomplish what comes naturally for me. You're all so hardworking and earnest.

i've forgotten my birthday

Intelligence takes many forms.

:)

you mean like, aliens?

No in the Platonic sense

>to accomplish what comes naturally for me

after a life time of intellectual inferiority i think i might just kill myself. it's better than living a life of mediocrity

oh you mean they're from the planet Pluto?

I feel you, op. I have a couple of thoughts about the subject, and would very much like to discuss it with someone else for once. It's something that I think about a lot.

First, I'm very paranoid about the fact that, maybe, we doesn't really *have* to remember anything on a perfect level. I like to think that everything we went thru, so, including all we've read, is already part of us. Maybe we simply doesn't have to remember a certain thing for it to have a effect in who we are and how we act. It's like our memory can't support how rich the human experience is. Following this line of thought, trying to remember everything or to feel anxious about it is useless and kinda dumb. Maybe studying the subconscious would help me in understanding this better.

Second, I'm a heavy marijuana smoker, and I have always heard about how it affects your memory. Sadly, I can't reach a good conclusion about this (if I could prove it fucks my memory, I would probably stop smoking), but I feel that people have a point in relating how our memory works to the conditions we go thru. I feel like the world has become too fast and we consume so much information on a daily basis that it is impossible to remember everything: it's simply not our fault. Maybe, in this case, something like meditation would help.

when you learn that conscious recalling actually degrades your experiencing of everything from books to concerts you stop worrying about doing it

don't know if I agree. Mind to elaborate?

>Mind to elaborate?
No

based and lynchpilled

for me this issue mostly stopped when i quit smoking pot everyday

One of the smartest men who ever lived once said “I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.” So I wouldn't sweat it too much.

You have shit recall. Memory can be divided into recall and recognition. Recall can be trained to a degree, but it's difficult and obviously IQ dependent. Recognition is good for test taking. You see a keyword or phrase that triggers the memory for you and lets you spit out factoids.

Huge problem today is that when most people are done one thing they immediately hop to another. When I close a book for the day I, for example, hop on twitter or Yea Forums and start shitposting. That won't do you any favours. It totally kills your recall. That's why you forget dreams. You go from dreaming to brushing your teeth in a matter of seconds. If you want to remember your dreams you have to lay there for a minute and try to piece it back together.

In the same way when I am reading or studying I take a break after an hour or so and meditate on what I've just read. Trying to recall as much as I can. Instead of autistically memorizing factoids I try to recall the broad strokes. From there I sort of spiral inward and arrive at the factoids without having tried to really memorize them. I've always done this and one thing I've always excelled as is presentations because I'm not rehearsing lines like everyone else. Instead I just read everything I can, present the broad strokes, and "spiral inwards" like I do with everything else.

I have a good selective memory. I can remember the years things happened exceptionally well. I can recall certain particular phrases that resonated when I read them. And I can recall vividly the scene/setting in which every fiction book I've ever read took place in my mind. But nothing is tangible or directed, they're only discrete patches of remembered information in the mosaic of my world view.

But did you ENJOY reading them?

If I enjoyed them, yes.
If they were just boring than I pretty much tune out while reading them and before I know it I get to the new chapter only retaining a couple sentences of everything I've just read.

No he means they're Republicans.

>I always admire the lengths brainlets have to go through to accomplish what comes naturally for me. You're all so hardworking and earnest.

Attached: sdcsd.jpg (251x201, 7K)

do you ever look at the people in these viral photos and wonder what they're up to now?

presumably that guy is posting about his superior intellect on Yea Forums.

on maybe he's reflecting on his decision to wear a fedora and be fat in the age of the internet

i like this post

Contemplation/contraction

Ahhh the only 2 areas in life I am not a brainlet in. Language and long term memory. I wish I could add maths to that list...

based, people with good memory just have shit brains that never empty their cache and bog them down. all my important shit is either consciously or unconsciously influencing me, and the crap like how to calculate the area of a disc is nuked. this allows me to have better brainpower for the here and now

Attached: image.jpg (859x1024, 503K)

Reading is not just acquainting ourselves with a text or acquiring knowledge; it is also, from its first moments, an inevitable process of forgetting.

Attached: senormartinez.png (612x612, 161K)

bookshelf cat a CUTE

my memory is so bad that listening to people here speak so effortlessly not merely on books they've read, but authors, translations and specific parts of the work, is like seeing an alien culture in which i'm supposed to be a member. my memory is so bad that i'm genuinely contemplating giving up reading as a serious pursuit. it's not worth doing it so often, the return is just not proportional to my investment in it

Attached: 1704152-Ralph-Waldo-Emerson-Quote-I-cannot-remember-the-books-I-ve-read.jpg (3840x2160, 3.14M)

I try and forget shitty books, yes. This is an entirely modern phenomena, right? To consider every book valuable and a *positive* thing to read

It is not reasonable a desire to remember entire works word for word. Instead, underline key sentences and ideas with a pencil as you read- these will then remain in your mind. The surrounding fluff can then be disregarded. For fiction, remember the character names and the main plot, and any deeper meanings/ subtext.

Some books leave way more of an impression than others. I read 2666 three years ago but find myself thinking about it daily

Incredibly based

Just think about what you read from time to time. You forget because you just dump a book out of your mind after you've read it. The bigger problem is you're not taking the time to contemplate what you've read on anything more than a superficial level.

Attached: 1547133321756.png (645x773, 46K)