Is it possible for someone to write a good book without being an avid reader?

Is it possible for someone to write a good book without being an avid reader?

Attached: 1442110737578.png (650x975, 1.04M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jQqK1CjE9bA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

is it possible to try and make a good thread for once? fuck off

Wow. Who is she?

I presume the lack of decent writings coming out in recent years have been dealt to a lack of avid readers. Back when, people would read more often than the present do to it being one of the only media outlets that is reachable rich and poor, social and non-sociable, people were likely to be better in their written word. I suggest if you plan on taking the task of writing a novel or really anything for that matter you read more literature.

Do you need to know how to work a power drill to build a bench? You need to know the tools before getting started building a house. Books are the tools. If anything read a book once not to enjoy it but to learn from it and the writing itself. The form. The craft.

Your example doesn't make sense. Books are the product to be consumed, not the tools.

I suppose it is possible, I think it is unlikely.

>hairy arms
Nice

Books are the tools to learn how to write a good book. If you don't read you wont read anything worth reading. If you don't use the correct tools your structure will collapse under its own weight. Use your head.

Write anything **

Unless the book is about how to write a book, then it won't help. You can't learn to draw by looking at art, and you can't learn programming by playing video games.

Define an avid reader.

>chase enlightenment for a decade
>practice asceticism
>grow as a person and as a soul
>genuinely catch glimpses of truth, and have near-religious epiphanies about the platonic unity of the True, the Good, the Beautiful
>jot down hundreds of notes for a lifelong spiritual quest after the seat of my own soul and the key to the logos
>walking around somberly contemplating dianoia one afternoon
>see one pretty girl
>unconscious mind: "I SHOULD WOULD LIKE TO SMELL AND LICK HER ASS HOLE AFTER IT'S KIND OF SWEATY NOT TOO SWEATY BUT YOU KNOW LIKE A NORMAL DAY'S WORTH OF WALKING AROUND, PRETTY SURE I'D CUT OFF 2, MAYBE 3 OF MY FINGERS JUST TO LICK HER BREASTS FOR 30 SECONDS I WONDER IF SHE'D SIT ON MY PENIS IF I LITERALLY BEGGED HER??"

Attached: 1552330857622.jpg (3432x2870, 1.29M)

based and normal-levels-of-sweatpilled

I'm sure by looking at art with great intent on learning the process of which the artist had created it any bright individual could take up the general idea of how and which brush strokes were prime in completing the effect given within the painting. Same as if I read a novel and take notice of the words used, the grammatical and syntactical value of passages as well as the flow of a chapter. How sentences may be cut short after a wordy and lengthy sentence to add a certain tone or affect. You learn from these things if you have any mind in wanting To create something of the same craft. Like the long given tip that "you take from styles only until you find your own". You learn, from what you see unless of course you need to be spoon fed the details from someone older and willing to teach, to which I'm positive most wouldn't as they hadn't had one their selves. Op asked if you must be an avid reader to write a good book which you do. Anyone can write a 'book' without reading, the possibility of it being any good are slim to none. Also your programming example makes little sense to me.

Someone post the edit.

I would say no, but reading a lot of good literature makes you realize how shit you are and hopefully stops you from ever trying.

Same guy. I'll also add that unless the person is extremely talented and gifted in such things only then can they accomplish what they want without learning

>any bright individual could take up the general idea of how and which brush strokes were prime in completing the effect given within the painting
trying so hard to appear intelligent but actually coming off as a simpleton lmao

goddamn mate good thing this is anonymously posted cuz now you look dumb asfuck

Why did you post the edited version of that image?

Sounds like you need to read way more because you can't even formulate your thoughts into a Yea Forums post without looking like you struggled to find the words for 10 minutes. Raw talent and genius is not learned. A man of genius could easily write or paint a masterpiece without any previous references, it has never and likely will never happen, but it is easily possible.

Are you an avid reader? I don't think its helping you because I find your post hard to read.
No you can't learn how to draw by looking at art. At best you could copy or trace it which I guess would be the equivalent of rewording someone else's book. You'll never understand why the artist did things the way they did and you won't be able to create anything on your own.
Another example would be trying to learn how an engine works by driving a car. You can't learn how to create something by consuming a product.

>it has never and likely will never happen, but it is easily possible

Attached: 1521981525573.gif (198x195, 2.22M)

Harper Lee wasn't that well read at all

those are burn scars

Not at all, just have a good sense of aesthetics and some technical skill.

hahahahaha imagine if she was ur gf hahahahaaha

that's kind of gross ha ha imagine kissing her haha yuck am i right

What if life experience, talent and emotions are the tools for writing books?
You don't build a bench using previous benches.
Writing is not craft (unfortenately sometimes it is), but art.
You think someone with happy who's read like 10.000 will write a better poem than someone with a really broken heart?

Can literally anyone name a good author that was not well-read and steeped in some respective tradition? I think that this alone, combined with common sense, should 99.5% answer OP's question.

This is my absolute favorite position and I loved to fuck girls like that, completely objectify them for some time to concentrate solely on their most important part and using them as I please. Doesn't matter which girl you fuck, in this position all of them let you do whatever the fuck you want. Feel like pushing a finger down their backdoor? She won't mind.

It's not possible with my current gf though, which is very frustrating. In this position, once I try to enter and my dick starts to split her lips, her vagina seems to open up and starts sucking in air like an industrial grade vacuum cleaner. It makes a sound, too. Of course there is a huge amount of air in there by then and whatever you try, it will come with a massive fucking queef, or several of them that go on for quite a while. I don't mind queefs as long as they're produced naturally by pushing in air with my dick and on a natural fucking scale. But actually hearing the air getting sucked? I can't help but to imagine a huge fleshy cave opening up. This shit is such a big turnoff for me that I'm starting to get less and less attracted to her eventhough she's a very hot and fit girl and despite all the other things about her or that we do. I know this is silly and complaining on a high level but it's important to me. Worst thing about it is that you can't do anything about it except avoiding this position.

Plays & letters, yes. 10 Williams did, and he was about the farthest thing from being a reader a writer can be.

Art and craft are one in the same unless you're a gimmick of an artist.

I don't care if people like it or don't like it, there has to be skill behind the emotion or it's pointless. The skill means you wanted to depict it bad enough that you spent years working towards it.

Fuck modern art and fuck the appreciation of art without craft. Fuck Warhol.

How many books did Cervantes read?

>You can't learn how to create something by consuming a product.

Attached: 1520836238498.gif (400x206, 3.34M)

No, and that bitch should die for reading one of those shitty penguin hardcovers.

I don't think it's necessary to be a wide and voracious reader. But it's necessary to read something. I think someone could write well if they seriously studied a smaller number of books. You might possibly even get more out of that, depending on which books you chose to scrutinize.

Not a direct comparison because writers who don't read never become famous but this is the work of musicians who never listened to music outside of their own.
youtube.com/watch?v=jQqK1CjE9bA

>Classic album listened to all over the world decades after its release
So you're saying you don't need to read to write well?

Maybe, but that person would write an even better book if they were an avid reader.

Listened to just because it's shit in a unique way.
Anyway, the only reason it can somewhat get away with it is because music is considerably more abstract than something like say movies or literature are. But everybody can clearly see that this is outsider art and stands outside of the tradition and for that reason it will always be a bit 'off'. Again: in music you can get away with it because of the abstract nature of the stuff, I for example really dig Derek Bailey's Aida or Trout Mask Replica but if they had a literary counterpart I would probably just consider it to be shit because of the nature of the medium.

That's why she never wrote a good book.