Be me

>be me
>18
>about to go to gold uni, extremely broke

What do I major in? You guys always give me inconclusive answers.

>STEM
>Philosophy(lol)
>English
>Psychology
>Chemistry
>Accounting(or other econ)

Can anybody give me a clear cut answer? Reading Linkola tells me Env. Scienes, reading Kafka makes me want to go in Law, Freud,Jung Psychology, Classics tell me Philosophy, PoMo tells me English, looking at the current most popular authors tells me to use my minority background and identify with the left.

What do?

>inb4 "college is waste of money"
like im going to be a wage cuck for the rest of my life because I choose not to do 4 years of some ridiculously easy classes

Attached: 5B4D914F-08C6-4660-9B90-D8D4BCE677DD.jpg (480x360, 35K)

Accounting

Not literature

And of course you're broke, you're a fucking child lmao

fuck off do you need someone to help you wipe your ass

Unsarcastically STEM

If you're American, the ranking of your university is the most important thing. if you are at an elite school, study whatever, it doesn't matter. If not, do CS.

> Reading Linkola tells me Env. Scienes
how about you read TK

Any reason in particular? Or does it just give the most free time
I can double major so I might dip might feet in English if i so choose, also some people are ridicously rich and don't have to worry about shit so I was just referring to that
yes
Why? stem is also a really broad field mind targetting a few fields in particular? I think A.I and computer science is cool but I know nothing of them

Attached: 630B7CFD-31E2-4AD2-86AD-1160A83986CC.jpg (1920x1080, 199K)

Something Engineering or Technology related. Don't apply for any of the Geisteswissenschaften (Social Sciences, Law, Psychology, etc.) unless you're extremely sociable and have absolutely no problem foregoing your true beliefs for the sake of doing what others might approve of.
Humanities will most likely not land you a job. There's only about 2000 jobs in academia for Humanities-related professors, and a lot more people with a PhD that will most likely only ever get a temporary job as an assistant professor.

Maybe you could get a job with something related to physics, aeronautics, or biochemistry, but it seems a bit more unsafe than T&E.

>Why?
It’s the most challenging of them all. In many ways going through uni and getting that certificate boils down to proving you aren’t sub 100 IQ and have somewhat decent industriousness. STEM also has the most available jobs and pay the best. Even among top 1%, most new folks are basically tech guys
>stem is also a really broad field mind targetting a few fields in particular?
It doesn’t matter that much. You have highest earning potential in software but if you consider programming tedious don’t go for it. Go for something that you in *general* find cools. Do you really like trains? Airplanes? Cars? Go for an engineering field related to it. Personally I chose civil engineering because I like buildings and architecture, to give you an idea

I reside in Florida and I can't really go too far without bankrupting my parents so my choices are limited. I rather not study something thats extremely mind numbing, but I can train myself to bare the pain.

Go to UF bro

Do what you love and you never work a day in your life :)

Learn to code

>You guys always give me inconclusive answers.
That's because we know next to nothing about you.
Are you good at math and science?
Do you enjoy math and science?
Are you sociable?
How driven are you?
How much autonomy do you need?
What do you value in life?
Are you passionate about anything?
Do you mind forgoing your morals for material gain?
how are we supposed to know what you should do with your life if we know nothing about you?

Attached: 1541083109352.jpg (640x1024, 64K)

Yea I got that impression from most of my options,I'm most likely able to Double
major so I can choose one thing that i'll enjoy
I mentioned in my last post I wasnt totally against stem I find A.I fool and although im a dumbass in math related fields, I look up to some mathematicians and computer scientists so, if i go into stem it'll prob be of some field in that range. Thanks for the detailed response!
Either FU, FIU, or FSU are
my options

Attached: BE14E5A6-838B-4B14-A243-FE96AA060BA9.jpg (365x501, 88K)

CS then, your job prospects will be poor otherwise.

I have a general distaste for IT-related jobs (not because I am coming from a humanities background - I never attended university - I just don't like sedentary work). Having said that, this is really one of the most diverse, generally well-paid, and futureproof options. The most important thing is that there are actual JOBS at the end of it. Real positions that will hire you and pay you. In my opinion, if you're going on to higher education, and you're not doing some kind of coding/IT, you are making a grave financial mistake.

Attached: 1469472967589.jpg (500x590, 63K)

Tallahassee is a shithole. I lived/worked there for almost a decade. FSU students are retarded. You’re better off going to FAMU.

Double major implies double the amount of coursework. Would you rather spend your afternoons doing programming exercises AND having to write literary criticism essays on some book written by some obscure writer your professor loves instead of spending time first doing your exercises and then reading 20-50 pages off some book you actually picked for yourself and want to read?
Having to study anything for class can turn any kind of hobby or interest into hours of stress. I know this from personal experience.

Are you good at math and science?
Not particularly strong in either, im decent
Do you enjoy math and science?
I like zoology but I find mathematicians extremely cool
Are you sociable?
Im an extremely anxious person but not insociable at all.
How driven are you?
Driven if I want to
What do you value in life?
Nature,Beauty,solving complex issues or problems,challenging environments
Are you passionate about anything?
literature,women,writing, and although im lacking in terms of friends I really enjoy company.
Do you mind forgoing your morals for material gain?
Nope

Attached: 82F48C1F-2A58-43D9-A24F-3EA39BD4ADF8.jpg (220x299, 16K)

Yea,yea but it seems as most people here only reccomend CS because they don't know much else? I mean surely some mathematics/paralegal/chemistry/env. science pursuit isn't completely hopeless?
Well aware. Never heard of FAMU its still in Tallahassee though? I live im in the broward so anywhere is much better, trust me this place truly is a shithole.
well aware but I English maybe one of the only options for me to be able to network with some people, my goal is to finish a book before I graduate to possibly some advice/ networking help from my professor

Attached: 996AB24D-AF59-48FA-8CCA-61CDB18DA69D.jpg (710x946, 219K)

No, it's because you won't get a good job in a pure science field without an elite pedigree. Engineering is also ok but pays less.

I do a STEM subject (Physics), and with STEM subjects you're often truly challenged because the material is what it is regardless of what your professors set for you. With non-STEM subjects (lit, phil) they can get away with making things easier or less useful which can cause a lot of resentment when you're learning them.

For the most part, STEM subjects are fun to learn, rewarding and most importantly more employable.

Also feels nice to study one field academically and in your own time study things like literature and philosophy at your own pace, in the areas you're actually interested in.

>although im a dumbass in math related fields
Once you get through the math classes, you don't actually use stuff like Calculus very much in a typical programming job. I don't do AI, so I don't know if you would use a lot of math there, though. If you decide to do theory or research then yeah, you'll need to know your math.

> surely some mathematics/paralegal/chemistry/env. science pursuit isn't completely hopeless?
Of course it wouldn't be hopeless, there's plenty jobs in Chem and legal work if you get a masters, 5 years experience and fight for it. I just see CS as the biggest "entry-level" Jobs market. You will likely get a reasonable job offer right out of Uni. Very few degrees can even pretend to offer that nowadays.

Attached: 459605432.jpg (480x480, 57K)

>Not particularly strong in either, im decent
Alright, if you're not great at math/science I wouldn't recommend pure math/physics/or math heavy engineering fields
maybe CS?
>I find mathematicians extremely cool
so you enjoy the image of being a mathematician? or did you mean mathematics?
>I'm an extremely anxious person but not insociable at all.
>Driven if I want to
I don't know if any sort of business would be the choice then, you don't have the type of personality that could really use it.
>Nature,Beauty,solving complex issues or problems,challenging environments
Environmental science/engineering maybe? I don't know how the job prospects are for this though.
any STEM field fits the bill for 'complex issues or problems' and 'challenging environments'.
>literature,women,writing, and although im lacking in terms of friends I really enjoy company.
None of those are going to pay the bills, yada yada fuck capitalism, I know, but you unfortunately have to play the game
>Do you mind forgoing your morals for material gain?
If you're so inclined, law is an option, at least it's slightly closer to 'literary' than a STEM field would be

also, does the school you're planning to go to allow you to do your first semester or two as an undeclared major? If you're really not sure, maybe try a couple things out in your first semester.

>my goal is to finish a book before I graduate
That might be a bit optimistic

Attached: athonk3.jpg (206x245, 10K)

Out of those fields you mentioned, Chemical Engineering is the closest thing there is to an applied version of Chemistry. I'm honestly not sure where an Environmental Scientist might be able to get a work at, outside of research institutions. Statistics and Actuary are somewhat close to Mathematics, but lack the same kind of pseudo-poetic free, unending search for proofs. If you honestly wouldn't mind getting into the GMO business, you should study Biochemistry.

This is obvious

Either study mathematics which you seem to like(trust me HS math has nothing to do with real mathematics) or, go into a stem field that challenges you with math related problems such as theory in research (). The way I look at is if you study mathematics you can easily get into any stem/cs field. Plus mathematics is essentially philosophy but useful in the theory fields, puts you in challenging environments and its pretty much solving complex problems.

t.mathematics major

Attached: 51OW7EJaS5L._SX313_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (315x499, 43K)

FAMU is still in Tallahassee and is an HBCU. Tallahassee is pretty racially segregated and has a lot of unequal distribution of wealth. It’s also dirty and hot.

If you choose you will ultimately commit suicide and probably be cheated on. You need to ignore accounting and stick to finance and econometrics. Besides, being an accountant only makes you (extra)complicit in the amoral shakedown that are taxes.

History or Math. There really is no reason to choose anything different as these two gives you the best general background, and you should wait with specializing.

You can't greentext so you should actually kill yourself and never post here again fucking faggot piece of shit.

I see, I do enjoy a challenge so the theory and research field you mention does sound interesting.
>so you enjoy the image of being a mathematician? or did you mean mathematics?
The image of being a mathematician really, the solving of complex problems that have been left unsolved for years, creating theorys and implementing them, etc etc.
>also, does the school you're planning to go to allow you to do your first semester or two as an undeclared major?
Unsure but it seems inevitable I'll change it regardless
>Statistics and Actuary
I'll look into, these I have a friend in Biochemistry and it sounds very boring although he seems to enjoy it.
Pretty much what im considering at this point
>trust me HS math has nothing to do with real mathematics
Thats good to know I was told the same thing before but im unsure about the workload?
>History or Math
Yup, math is looking like the obvious choice here i'm just unsure if i'll be able to take the work load as I said before
Yup, uninteresting fields will most likely make me complacent so I'm would definitely not anything that has a dead end.
Was just typing fast to get my reply out there

Attached: 1549394781468.jpg (3859x2563, 3.09M)

>creating theorys and implementing them
This is done in applied math and engineering mostly
I'm an EE masters student, specifically with a signal processing focus, and this is basically what I do for my research position
the work load is immense though
what's the highest level of math you've taken so far?

Attached: 1537718231005.jpg (750x746, 488K)

Dude everything in your reply screams mathematics.

Major in mathematics and if your so inclined, English; minor in CS and by the end of your first semester either drop CS or drop mathematics and roll into one fully.

If I were you I'd drop english and just go into both cs and mathematics. Splitting yourself with English and Mathematics/CS is inconceivable the work load will kill you man.

t.

>History
I spent two semesters as a History major. I took lots of courses on the history of Western thought, history of Western politics, history of Western art, history of Western society, history of Christianity, Historiographical methods. It was some of the most boring stuff I ever took. As a formerly self-proclaimed history lover, I wouldn't recommend anybody who likes history to go off and study History as an academic discipline. I believe it's better to a) study something you don't love, but that you wouldn't mind having to do 40 hrs a week, and b) that you'll constantly be learning new stuff or getting new challenges from. Otherwise, you might end up feeling like you already "got it" because you might've gone through it on your own.
>Math
University-level math is mostly about coming up with theorems and proofs. It's not too different from Philosophy in terms of what it attempts to do with pure, abstract concepts. The only reason why Philosophy might be easier than Math for people with high verbal intelligence is because Philosophy uses the language of everyday conversations, even if in an extremely restricted way, whereas Mathematics deals with numbers and variables in ways which might not seem immediately applicable to real objects.

>This is done in applied math and engineering mostly
>the work load is immense though
Hmm, yea the only issues I have with in regards to pursuing some math related field is the workload. I'm pretty much set on on majoring English so I dont want to be overloaded.
>what's the highest level of math you've taken so far?
Physics and Calculus
I have no interest in history I hear horror stories all the time on how its unbearable unless you're truly 100% committed to it like no other.
>University-level math is mostly about coming up with theorems and proofs
Yes, thats what I fancy of it but as mentioned I'm not sure what splitting my workload like that will do. But i'm told here all the time that English is really lax as a major.

Attached: 9pqsh0b2x1r01.jpg (960x768, 175K)

Math brainlet here what do I study? Stem and CS are out for me. Interested in English, History, Psychology and Philosophy. Any recs that could possibly lead to a job in the future or just improve my life if not?
For context I can go to the 1# ranked uni in my country it says 72ish ranked globally

If your not in the U.S. which im pretty sure your not, study English.

If your not in the U.S. studying English is not a huge bummer at all, especially when you can go to a top ranking university. Do as you want dude your fine

Attached: 3-The-Journey-1200x764.jpg (1200x764, 391K)

STEM if you're a bugman
Philosophy if you're intelligent and don't mind being poor
English if you're a talented conformist
Psychology if you're retarded
Chemistry if you're boring
Accounting if your life is completely worthless

Engineering if you are good at math and physics.
If not go for a Philosophy,Politics and Economics(PPE).

Literally whatever the fuck you want, just make sure you have a 4.0, use your university’s career planning services, and be active in the school community.

Anyone have any advice. I recently got admitted to a top 10 US school. I really like Religious Studies but I realize that is of absolutely no use outside of academia. I think internet security is interesting, but I've read so much of the environmental meme authors that Yea Forums recc'd that I can no longer see supporting the implementation of technology on a mass scale as a good thing.
I really have no idea what I want to go into and I really don't think I ever will. I just like the outdoors a lot and learning about metaphysics/religions. I was solid in math in high school but probably pretty bad in comparison to the other students at the aforementioned university I got into. I thought about just becoming a monk for a while but I am saddened by the state of most American monasteries.

>English into a counseling degree

Unironically inspired by Jordan Peterson and want to become a therapist

Personally, I went STEM because I liked chemistry, I've gotten a good job and have some time for my hobbies. I've had regret about not pursuing literature or philosophy as I also enjoyed it and my professors liked me as a student. Probably because I was a good student, but only because I had the drive to push myself to study hard.
Personally, If I had to do it again, I would either do chemistry again or economics. That was a big gripe of mine, econ is a good degree and I ended up taking an econ major class to fill a university study. I had a good grip of math and I did minimal studying and I was excelling among the majors.
So my recommendation if you go non-STEM would be economics, lots of good math and everything is factual in making arguments, not just how well you speak.

>STEM if you're a bugman
There is nothing inherently bugman-like in studying STEM over any Humanities major. A person can choose to either be sociable or non-sociable, conformist or non-conformist, regardless of the kind of university major they study. While it is true that Humanities majors have less of a likelihood of getting a job at something related to what they studied, the "soul-less STEM" meme that is often coupled with "jobless Humanities" has no ground which to even be taken into serious consideration by, given that it depends solely on subjective feeling-based judgement. Wonder, passion, and awe can all just as easily be found studying Chemistry or Biology as they could be found by reading a great poem or a brilliant work of philosophy.

>Wonder, passion, and awe
>Chemistry

Attached: 1552148007561.jpg (630x507, 83K)

form is emptiness, emptiness is form

duuuudeee das crazzzyyyy

Attached: DrmLXkqU4AA8d8S.jpg_large.jpg (604x453, 63K)

>Philosophy(lol)
>English
>Psychology
Don't do any of these unless you're extremely passionate about one of them.

>be me
Well, I can't be you because I'm not black. Thanks for excluding me.

Absolutely based Epicurean user.

>nobody has recommended medical school

Attached: cate.jpg (540x540, 24K)

Philosophy

STEM, any field of which you can produce a product on your own. Remember that a degree is, in reality, exclusively taken to gain access to a certain field to work in, you can learn anything on the side by getting hold of the textbooks the other fields use in their schooling. Money is only necessary to fund your lifestyle, your hobbies, your passions which are what give life meaning. Your job and its goals should be to a means to an end, namely to propell yourself into the leisure class (so your life revolves around your whims and not that of a boss, 9-5 desk jobs, and other busywork that will take a toll on your psychological wellbeing).

In the field you choose you should be able to do the following: 1. Work (as employee), 2. Work (as freelance), 3. Produce (create products you can sell). The goal being to repeatedly produce products in any form and medium to gain passive income allowing you to quit working as an employee and/or freelancer, and then build a business around it.

Your desire to write, study psychology, philosophy, and all other potential interests or desires should be written off as the major you choose if they don't give you the freedom previously mentioned namely to work as an employee, to work as a freelancer, and to create (products) to sell passively or build a business around. Any deviation will force you to rely on others for money (work as employee).

I enjoy media (graphic design), philosophy, psychology, writing, music (creation; I play drums and know a little bit of guitar and piano, mix stupid electronic shit), but if I were to work as any of them it would not be as safe as getting into computer science, programming in particular - or any other degree that lets you work, freelance and create on your own.