What STEM degree would you suggest me to pick in college if I wish to become a writer?

What STEM degree would you suggest me to pick in college if I wish to become a writer?

Attached: 1552860522872.jpg (1707x2560, 271K)

None of them. STEM is overrated. If you don't actually want a STEM career then don't be a STEM major.

Double Major in Chemistry + Philosophy

Attached: 1549042250784.png (417x578, 373K)

If you want to become a writer don't fucking go to college. You really get in all that debt for a degree in a field which you won't even be working in?

geology so you can spend a lot of time outdoors

One for a career that you’ll enjoy most.
But you want to be a writer? Journalism is being crushed in the western neoliberal world.
Write on the side. Robotics is just going to keep getting bigger.
Still, why rack up a debt (assuming you’re in the US) skip college. Or go for the library access,.

Don't see how any degree would help you.

What you should do is write, but get a degree in something else different you can do if that doesn't work out. Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

if you enjoy a STEM field, get your degree in that
if you don't, don't get a degree in STEM
You already knew this would be the response, why are you making me tell you this?

How do I become your slave?

Yikes. Definitely not me :3

>skip college
and what? become a menial labour wagecuck living miserably and being too tired to even read when you get back from work? i'd rather have a back up plan

She has already enslaved your soul. Wake up heathen.

Start a bank and do fractional reserve lending

Not hiring

If you/he wants to be a writer, yeah. Just an option.

I want to wear a gimp mask and be your foot stool

what jobs are you interested in? I always thought chemistry was extremely cool but im more environmental scienes type of guy

Sell lsd in SF

>not selling vapes lace with dmt in them to start a revolution and change everyones minds

>work 7 hour shift of heavy lifting
>come home, eat, shower, try to read/write but lose concentration because you're exhausted
>watch braindead entertainment that requires no mental engagement as the working classes tend to do

I am not certain about even the direction of job I want, frankly I do not fondly look forward to the idea of working in general.
Neither chemistry nor philosophy on their own seemed like a good idea to me, though these days I could probably better live with only doing philosophy if i had to choose one.
I am also not in the anglosphere so double majoring is very excruciating.
It will take me at least 8 semesters to add up the credits for both (6 is the norm for a bachelor); so far I only got 2 in Chem and 3 in Phil.
Why would you ask about jobs on a board that vehemently tries to dissuade users from any "desire" to work as anything but what could help to become a writer?
unironically an aspect of chemistry I admire are such possibilities existing in the future (if I become foolish enough to try them).

Yeah, I hate capitalism

Truly anarcho-syndicalism is the best

The only difference between that and communism would be that the worker would receive just a bit more remuneration for his labor.

>feeding tripfags

Attached: IMG_2957.jpg (181x255, 12K)

A bit more?
You clearly haven’t given a single thought to the issue. We would work less for all the amenities of a decent life.
The absence of bullshit state capitalist jobs and bullshit medieval hierarchies, would make this world seem like a paradise by comparison.
Oh, heavens, what would we do with all that free time and free education?
Start a nuclear war or would culture flourish?

1PbP

Your stance on capitalism is the only thing I agree with you on

STEM is a complete meme, go into trades so you actually have education in a skilled labour position that will always be in high demand and can fall back on a good career if your dreams of being a writer don't pan out.

Math and Literature is the patrician combo user.

Butterfly what flavor slurpee does your pussy dispense? I want a large one please.

Those are contradictory too

Don’t listen to this gay retard, I swear you guys say shit like this and major in math because it sounds neat or has some aesthetic feeling to it you like. If you like chemistry get a ChemE degree and make oil money or go civil/environment if that’s what you are really interested in. Potentially you could get a environmental job with a ChemE degree but you really need to figure out a way to land an internship/co op with that area to make it a lot easier.

I got a comp sci degree with the intent of supporting myself as a programmer, so I could write. I'm in my fifties and still writing every day. Almost no publications.

STEM is time consuming. The biggest advantage of a creative writing degree is you meet other writers. No one does this alone.

Psychology if you're actually asking. Gives you the widest possible experience of the human condition, which psued as it sounds is what writing is about

Well, if one had to absolutely choose, aside from becoming a writer in that field, I would say mathematics, judging from how much of the Simpsons writing team, probably the greatest set of comedy writers in history, consisted in math majors.

Computer Science. It's basically about managing systems and complexity. Goes well with philosophy.

Can I paypal you some money for being female?

Triple Major in EECS, Physics and Mathematics, with a minor in philosophy.

How do you know she's a girl?

Based Kantian user, word of advice. Don't double major. Pick whichever one you feel will help with career or further education more. Double majoring will burden you and possibly jeopardize your GPA. But you want to learn it? Audit the courses free of charge. You can learn them equally well, just that you won't have a piece of paper to show for it. Very few people benefit from double majors. Mostly all double majors I knew graduated with subpar GPAs.

That is a bad thing, if so why?

>But you want to learn it? Audit the courses free of charge
There needs to be a public available textual resource that gives syllabus details and reading lists for a variety of courses.

>ChemE degree
ChemE is soulles and vastly different from a chemistry degree you retard.
It is more machine engineering with a bit retard chemistry sprinkled in there.

for a job with writing on the side, business or computer science (maybe the trades, although I haven't looked into them personally).

If you actually want a degree to make yourself a better writer I'd recommend philosophy (also offers some fall back options if writing doesn't work out). If not, then don't go to college (at least in the U.S.) it'll end up being a waste of time and money.

Attached: gre3.png (600x457, 73K)

plenty of time to dictate notes when you're a nighttime security guard.

I'm an engineer and the only time I have to write is while I take the bus to work.

Unless you go to grad school and do R&D you are a lab rat nothing more nothing less, and I doubt OP wants to dedicate his life to chemistry

Fuck forgot to say the fact that you use the word soulless justifies my assumption you do this for same gay aesthetic you psued

How do you even make a living being a writer? Just constantly forcing out "creativity" to churn out books?
What kind of money could you expect to make?

I'm asking because the idea of being a writer appeals to me too but not if means having the enjoyment sucked out of it and having to live on scraps

But then you end up working a white collar job in an office in the oil industry like me.

Money's great but it's pretty soul sucking.

appreciate the two (you)s for just one post

Bump for this question

Computer Science, plenty of software documentation is shit.

Nah I am just naturally good at Chemistry, theoretical and all necessary for lab work.
Philosophy a nigger like you might perhaps attribute to some ‘ästhetik’ need of mine, but to me it is rather about a rigorous learning of the methodical approach torwards knowledge.

t./sci/

The difference is that you can become a nighttime security guard if you wanted to, a nighttime security guard can't become an engineer. Education gives you options.

there is no money and if you don't "enjoy" this
> having to live on scraps
then don't become a writer without an insurance plan to rely on as a fall back.

Im actually planning on going back to school to study chemistry.... so i can learn how to make acid and steal my colleges supplies to do so...

I love my philosophy degree doe

mathematics

whatever the fuck Pynchon did in uni

Seriously, you have a philosophy degree and are planning to do chemistry now (I trust more reasoning than making acid from it)?
Can you elaborate why you do this or are planning to, since I can not find a single other human being with that combination, except for some who slipped some philosophy in (as in a non official minor).

Computer Science

to be a writer you need to exercise critical thinking and STEM will turn your critical thinking muscle weak

avoid chemistry at all costs since it is all - consuming, biology / zoology might be best since it opens the door into advanced eco poetry (such as Ted Hughes, David Morley)

physics might be quite jokes but then again i dont know many physics majors that aren't losers yet

this, but unironically.
STEM only in the theoretical field as much as possible or it will make your brain soft

Im about to graduate with a phil degree with zero debt. I plan on going back to school fot chemistry or biochem because im interested in how the physical world works. I partly want to learn how to make drugs, and i could see that i could pursue pharmocology with chemistry.

Phil major / recent dropout here.
Some things I learned during my time at uni:

The whole artistic cliche espoused on this, and most other arts-based forums of "don't do school - use the money to work on your own projects" is entirely accurate, if only for time reasons alone.
Now, it's not that school is bad, or that you won't learn anything during your time there. However, for a student who is ambitious, and willing to spend a lot of time and effort honing their craft, it's a trade off that won't be worth it in the end.
Assuming you've read most of the books memed on here, and have a some aptitude for critical thinking, you're better off finding a mentor of sorts and studying with them privately. It will be cheaper, and you'll be able to focus on what you want to do, specifically.

Uni will have you managing a class schedule of lectures where the prof is mostly regurgitating what's in the text you've already been assigned yourself, and the seminars will be full of people of varying abilities and interests, so there's no guarantee you'll find compatible peers.
For me, at least, I came across a lot of former slash-fiction writers and future Vice journalists. Their writing was either really simple and boring, or needlessly complicated and designed to show off.
In the midst of these two class types and your fellow students, there will be assignments that you could be writing on your own and either self-publishing, or reaching out to publications with yourself.
Overall, while not a complete waste of time, there are better ways to go about it. Unless you want to work in academia itself, or you have virtually no talent / capability and are starting from square one, it's better to find private council, gain experience independently, and build a solid portfolio with references.

This is the err most people make when choosing the collegiate path; they think that these things will be easier to acquire through school. It's definitely a more streamlined way of attaining it all, but it's also slow and ponderous, and in most countries, needlessly expensive.
I'm sure I don't speak for every future writer / artist enrolled in one degree or another, and despite what I've said I did find my time there valuable in some ways.
However, it wasn't necessary. I'm getting much more work done now that I'm out of school, I have a job in my field (doesn't pay much, but it will give me a great deal of leverage in the future), and overall I'm just much happier.
I'm working twice as hard now, yet I'm half as stressed as I used to be. For that alone, I think it's worth it.

Attached: 1435026907571.jpg (1280x960, 304K)

This. It may be a field that’s flooded with graduates right now, but it’ll even out in the coming decades. There will always be jobs for computer science.

Sir,don’t prepone, kindly do the needful

The point of school is to prepare for the future. It makes sense to prepone.

Kindly do the needful

Probably plant and animal biology if you want a serious answer.
I like writers who can specify trees, birds, bugs, etc. in their descriptions.
I'm trying to read up on said subjects to improve my own descriptive writing.

Attached: 1552325822936.png (900x600, 770K)

Visually representing my thoughts

It’s a shame this movie ranked at the box office. I thought it was really excellent.

*tanked

i hate authors who get higher recognition because “they did the research”.
People who prefer such fiction are brain dead retarded.

Is comp engineering any good? I like fucking around with pc hardware but dont really care about programing. Will I be PAJEETED?

You will be AI'ed

Bump

This — stem is for getting a high paying job, not for writing pretty prose.

Take a major that interests you but also take all the pre-med courses necessary for getting into medical school.

How do I start a bank?

Just do any other (non meme) engineering, you'd be fine

Pure mathematics

>mfw potato is a common metaphor for vagina in my language

This. Everything else is just vulgar application only useful for a masters