I'm so conflicted as to whether I should study continental or analytic philosophy

I'm so conflicted as to whether I should study continental or analytic philosophy.
I don't want to waste time studying something that turns out to be bullshit, which I suspect continental philosophy of being (from what I have read so far). Take Hegel's work for example, it barely makes any sense. People have studied his work all their lives and not come anywhere near to a complete understanding. And Nietzsche is just an opinion piece writer. Whereas analytic uses formal logic so it's a lot more credible imo. But continental philosophy has more prestige. Is pic related accurate - is there any value in continental? What should I be studying, Yea Forums?

Attached: 1548087210419.png (666x408, 36K)

on the one hand, analytic writing is a soulless endeavor by americans who hate anything but reductive definitions

on the other hand, you're a moron, so maybe ano is the right route for you

this is pretty good bait. I'm sure a bunch of people will fall for it

They're both valid, and you really can't get the most out of one without the other.

you are a fag, so you should study anal, leave cunties to the chads

cunties would think math is soulless cos high school ruined it for them. just
>imagine

Most of both schools is bullshit made up by subjectivist nerds, leftists and shills (with some exceptions like Husserl and Heidegger in the early continental philosophy).

You should be studying metaphysics, instead.

Attached: omynmy6iw5411.jpg (1280x720, 191K)

>soulless endeavor
Any person who is properly acquainted with philosophy (especially with the concept of intentionality) should be able to realize that every action made by human beings is meaningful, and gives a certain kind of emotional reward in its fulfillment, and that every great pursuit is equally important to the people who have worked on it. A construction worker has no less of a reason to be proud than a medical researcher would of their work. The soul is not in the form of the work. It is the action itself of doing over not doing, the fact that it's made by a living, feeling being that makes something valuable. Any person who loves philosophy, and not just works of philosophy will be able to have a fulfilling life at any kind of pursuit, whether it be of the natural sciences, the social sciences, or, indeed, anything else.

what are you trying to achieve?

I'd rather at least know well about something than to have extremely vague, patch-like knowledge on many different fields.

Just study modal logic and computational science

>I don't want to waste time studying something that turns out to be bullshit, which I suspect continental philosophy of being (from what I have read so far)
>Take Hegel's work for example, it barely makes any sense.
You have a mistaken view of philosophy. A lot of people seem to think that it is just smart people talking about shit. It's not. It's a whole discipline with their own definitions, terminology, style, etc. And Hegel is one of the hardest philosophers out there. You can't expect to just jump into the deep end and be able to swim. It takes a lot of time to study and familiarise yourself with it. Would you, having no prior understanding of physics, jump into reading the most current theories on quantum mechanics and expect to understand them? Of course not.

This
But start from the beginning of the beginning (not on the chart) and see what they all have to offer/have in common.
Comparative religions/theosophy is a fun time

Attached: 74A88B10-1501-48A3-B7BC-7B32C621A1E4.jpg (3296x3168, 886K)

In ten years you will think both are rubbish.

Not OP. How would you explain the Absolute Knowledge section in Hegel's PoS? Is it sollipsism? Pantheism? Monism? Theopanism?

What problems did you have with Hegel and which of his books did you start with?

>I don't want to waste time studying something that turns out to be bullshit
>studies philosophy

huh?

I want to improve my life and be more knowledgeable

Start by not taking meme-dichotomies at face value.

The analytic/continental divide originated as an edgy attempt at feeling superior on the part of logical positivists, nowadays it's mostly a cultural and sociological divide between anglo-saxon mainstream philosophy and the various modern European philosophical currents.

This is hands down the worst chart I've ever seen.

continental philosophy if you want poetry and polemics
analytic if you want something useful

grow turnips if you want to do something useful

me as i read further down this chart

Attached: 1.png (604x3104, 2.65M)

You should obviously study both with equal patience and openess.

So you feel threatened by things that are new & unfamiliar?

Attached: Screenshot_20190318-182022.jpg (720x1440, 368K)

/all threads

>fulfilling because I'm a philosopher
WTF I love the wage cage now.

Attached: 1503720688188.jpg (922x830, 354K)

Imagine thining anything but science matters in 2019.

We're about to settle Mars and Jupiter.

>dawkins: "Philosophy shouldn't be divided between cloistered traditions, but should be one big dialogue"
>responders: "But philosophy IS divided between cloistered traditions"

He wasn't saying it's nonsense that it IS divided, but that it's nonsense that it SHOULD be so divided.

But it's not "divided between cloistered traditions"
So called "continental philosophy" is just the name autistic logical positivists used to call anything that wasn't analytical. The difference between different philosophical schools of thought is wide, but also contains a lot of overlap. Most important philosophers are significantly different from what came before.
Names for different philosophical traditions are just used after the fact to easily group philosophers together.

Also I agree that it shouldn't be so divided but that's a pipe dream at best

The difference is that, barring Nietzsche and Kant who were severly aspie, continental philosophers actually get laid.

what the actual fuck are you autism

>I am the warrior of my daydreams
Describes continental philosophers perfectly LOL

Very nice chart.