Why does it seem like the ancient world was so much more exciting and full of purpose than the post-ancient world?

why does it seem like the ancient world was so much more exciting and full of purpose than the post-ancient world?

Attached: IMMORTALITY TAKE IT ITS YOURS.png (847x398, 351K)

Because we mostly experience it in Hollywood films, rather than the moment to moment drudgery of our actual lives. Although people probably did have more purpose etc owing to more religious belief and more physical activity. But still, it is easy to get carried away in romanticizing.

Because passion and tradition are incompatible with our contemporary rational worldview

Because it was.

Probably because you're an incel and too afraid to take advantage of a world with the universe at the feet of anyone willing to work hard.

I am Greek. I walk by areas where philosophers contemplated their existences.
I am Greek. My ancestors were visionaries, philosophers, genius people.
What are you?
May Allah forgive me for uttering these words.
Are you an Anglo?

because people only bothered to record the exciting and purposeful parts. writing was a big deal, it was expensive and few people could do it. not necessarily saying that it wasn't also more exciting and purposeful on top of that, but we gotta account for potential biases.

because they're anecdotes about courage, passion and sacrifice, campfire stories told by a blind beggar in exchange for food, in case you haven't noticed the world of the past hundred years has seen cities vaporized, massive steel frigates buckle and collapse into the sea, armies of millions fight tooth and nail in blood-soaked, shit-smeared trenches, ragged, dispossessed populations trudge hundreds, thousands of miles seeking solace and refuge, ideological, tribal feuds boil over and explode into genocidal violence worldwide, concerted, orchestrated efforts placing men across the reaches of the black void of space onto that cold, illuminated heavenly sphere men have gazed upon with wonder since the early dawn of conscience, and it's still been within our power to now and again produce an intellect capable of spinning a good, tight yarn with no frayed ends

It wasn't. Just imagine being a slave or peasant.

Julian Jaynes and de Selby said the brain hemispheres started communicating during the Trojan War—the voice in our head was 1st heard
—Achilles thought it was Zeus saying Kill Kill Kill, so he was an automaton killing machine

For if the modern mind is whimsical and discursive, the classical mind is narrow, unhesitating, relentless. It is not a quality of intelligence that one encounters frequently these days. But though I can digress with the best of them, I am nothing in my soul if not obsessive.
―The Secret History

Attached: E8FDCBC7-92AF-4C31-89BF-832F8EFA0E9A.jpg (632x960, 52K)

>I am Greek.
>May Allah forgive me
Lol

>take advantage of a world with the universe at the feet of anyone willing to work hard
that's protestantism, idiot

Only because it’s a story

Attached: 7DE31781-7E1F-4E47-AD59-7D7E89FC833B.jpg (1302x2083, 400K)

Read 'the way of man' and all shall be revealed. Its just that shit dont matter these days, and for good reasons son

λελ

And it's working.

>tfw born among the birthplaces of Thales, Pythagoras, Heraclitus, Herodotus

Because the Greeks and Romans were martial to the core. Modern man is domesticated. Traded our beastly nature for comfort. Just like how animals in captivity might have "objectively" a better quality of life, but everyone sees the animal is suffering.

Fun fact, the Myths, Theater, and the great epics of the Greeks were almost universally non-contemporary. They took place in a distant far-flung past, even back then.

>My ancestors were visionaries, philosophers, genius people.
And you're just a pleb whose only claim to greatness is his ancestors. How they must be screaming in the afterlife at such a failure of a human being of their blood.

It wasn't; our knowledge of history is extremely selective because they just recorded the exciting parts. When posterity reads about the undertakings of people today, do you think they will be reading about the average pleb who does menial labour and lives an average life or actually interesting people?

>When posterity reads about the undertakings of people today, do you think they will be reading about the average pleb who does menial labour and lives an average life or actually interesting people?
Yes? Most of the famous literature of today is hilariously banal. Ulysses covers a regular day. It's not at all exciting. It's a different time. Look at how depressing our literature is

>undertakings of people today
>ulysses
Are you under the impression that Ulysses is a non-fiction historical account of contemporary people?

Are you under the impression that the Iliad is?