What does Yea Forums think about anime and manga as a format for alternative literature...

What does Yea Forums think about anime and manga as a format for alternative literature? Although it is stereotyped as a perverse and bizarre medium (which to be fair is partially true), there have been many great and thoughtful works to have come out from it. To name a few: Berserk, Serial experiments lain, Kino's Journey, and most Miyazaki films. Unfortunately, many of them are overlooked simply because they are branded by the label of "cartoons" by western perception. Do any of you think anime/animated shows could ever be taken seriously by the mainstream as "high quality content"?

Attached: k471.jpg (400x225, 21K)

I prefer to read books because they're about my country and Anime is about Japan and Japanese problems.

fuck off

And British literature is about British problems, Latin literature was about Roman problems, and Russian literature was about those godforsaken communists. Could you give a reason besides "Muh nationalism"

Ive yet to see anything with actual artistic merit

No.
I don't read British books (they have a habit of randomly killing off American characters) or Roman, Russian books either.

>Do any of you think anime/animated shows could ever be taken seriously by the mainstream as "high quality content"?
I honestly don't care what the mainstream thinks about art.

no

That's why you read Plato :)

Jesus, I hope your trolling. Have fun missing out on some of the worlds best literature and philosophy

Jesus, I hope you're trolling. Have fun missing out on some of the worlds best conjunctions :3

I do?

Oh sorry, it's just a saying for when someone does something stupid.

>alternative literature
Complete garbage ‘movement’. Anime is just animated drawings with a slight emphasis on realism and manga is just Japanese comics without the capeshit undertones (inb4 muh history of manga). You are part of the minority of weaboos who would like to see it pushed to the ‘mainstream’ rather than letting it be its own unique thing (as it should be).

I do stupid things all the time and I honestly don't care about that either.

"best" is subjective and I believe that literature has the most prominent effect on people who relate to it. Sure, I could suspend my belief and enter a new perspective of a narrator in a foreign country but what will I get out of reading about that? All the nuances that pertains to the culture of a certain country will be lost. I wouldn't be able to understand the entirety of its meaning. Some experiences aren't universal and those that are have been written about in each and every country and language (though I guess region would be a better word instead of country because I doubt there would be much of an issue being Austrian and reading German literature). Either way, Japan has such a unique culture with so many facets that it's difficult for a non-Japanese to really get into the shoes of their characters but that's just my opinion. I recently watched a Japanese movie that was about this person and they pretended that they were in the Yakuza to beat up another gang. I didn't understand why even do that when you could just call the cops on the gang or get a gun and shoot them but that's because I'm not Japanese. You see what I mean? Probably not. Either way, it's all opinionated.

Kill yourself filthy weeb

What

neuroaesthetics tells us they do western better than the west, talk about the kali yuga

What does Yea Forums think about vagabond?

they need support from charity and government programs to bring them out of poverty

PunPun is better than any western comic ever written.
Western comics are fucking garbage. Moore, Gaiman and Morrison are all midwit hacks that appeal to people who grasp at any straw to justify their manchild hobby.
These same problems apply to almost all fucking manga but AT LEAST you have one or two actual worthwhile reads out of a thousand.

didn't see this coming kek.
a-user it's a manga based on a book

>anime and manga
>format for alternative literature
>many great and thoughtful works
It's the same with everything - movies, music, theatre etc. Compare Avengers to Persona for example.
Anime and manga are in fact the alternative media, because they're not made by Muricans (or Europeans) like most of the media, but by Asians. Plus the Japanese are the only ones who massively use cartoon technique for making a motion picture that is not recorded real-action video. That way they can represent things which they wouldn't be able to otherwise (especially fantasy, gore, sci-fi etc.).
Also, kinda the wrong board. Talking about this on this edgy bait board will only provoke edgy opinions like "it's alternative literature for kids who refuse to grow up".

Unless you actually have a desire to travel somewhere, learn the language and come to understand the culture. And sometimes literature is the closest one can get to doing that. Will people who weren't around in ancient Athens ever truly "get" Plato? I don't know, but people who would like to understand ancient Greece should probably read his work rather than just say,"fuck it, I'm not an Athenian pederast from 400 BC, it wouldn't make any sense to me."

>they have a habit of randomly killing off American characters
based

Attached: serveimage-21.jpg (640x340, 36K)

>Russian literature was about those godforsaken communists
except the commies killed off, imprisoned, or exiled all the good writers. communists aren't friends of literature.