Yea Forums drops The Pale King pt 3

So everyone gave up and we can agree this book is unreadable trash and why he killed himself?

Attached: The_Pale_King.jpg (200x297, 15K)

I rather like it!

How much have you read so far?

all of it multiple times :)

Could I ask you to just summarize chapter 23 for me? I can't do it. I'm paralyzed deciding to drop this book completely or not around page 375.

Attached: q5OL30Eh.jpg (250x174, 7K)

Well, I guess the legacy of TPK read is that elevated the book to meme status and we are one step closer to every post on this board being DFW or Pynchon trolling.

do your own homework

No. This book is LITERALLYZ shit, as he described in chapter 1 and I believe 25 or 26. Even if I finish if I doubt I will ever read that chapter (23). Harold Bloom was right and I've become convinced this book is an elaborate metaphorical admission of that.

Im gonna be honest with you user I never read the book

You're a moron.
That's not what Bloom was even referring to, and as I explained in a previous thread Bloom was responding to a misreading of a passage in Infinite Jest where he imitates Bloom for artistic reasons that Bloom misunderstood out of reactionary sensitivity.

Chapter 23, this is the true autobiographical section of the novel. Chris Fogle is an allegory for David's life and the events that occur in chapter 23 relate to David's transition into a writing career.

All this pissing and moaning has gotten me interested in TPK, I must admit. Thank you for the clarification. I've only read Infinite Jest, which seemed like enough of a suicide note.

>citing harold bloom
embarrassed for you user

I assumed you mean chapter 22 which is the Chris Fogle chapter.
Chapter 23 is only like two pages long and is verly about the destructive tedium of institutions that starts at a very young age. It serves as a strong transition scene between the college-based Fogle novella in 22 and chapter 24, which is also tediously long and may also be what you're referring to. The point of chapter 24 is as a true into to the "David Wallace" character, literally designed to be deliberately boring and overbearing in regard to the daily operation at the IRS facility he is joining (analogous to the Fogle story). He also barely meets Stecyk for a second here, whose look of true empathy makes him reflect on his loss of innocence as he recieves head from the iranian-crisis refugee tour guide that mistook him for a high-level executive at the company. In the last line he imagines his penis is larger than it really could be "realistically speaking". In an unwritten section of the novel David was going to be upset at Stecyk for looking at him with pity, feeling that his sympathy mostly stemmed from his hideous appearance. David felt used and intended to use Sylvanshine himself.
This also relates to the scenario where he is receiving sex from the tourguide in that they both relate to other's interpretations.

Dumb question: how much of the autobiographical parts is true? I don't actually know a lot about DFW's life.

I'm still on schedule (maybe a little ahead) and contrary to most people it seems, I am enjoying the book so far. I find there is a lot of humor in the book, but sometimes you have to search for it through the theme of boredom.

None of it is 100% true.
He's telling the same story in a variety of different ways.
It's like a puzzle.

Oh great, this faggot is back again.

actual autistics
>The point of chapter 24 is as a true into to the "David Wallace" character, literally designed to be deliberately boring and overbearing in regard to the daily operation at the IRS facility he is joining (analogous to the Fogle story).
22 was not painful to read
>In the last line he imagines his penis is larger than it really could be "realistically speaking"
Le face face
I was enjoying it too until this point where it has taken a turn for the wretched

He's baaaack and HE ACTUALLY READ IT

Any insight on what you thought about section 50?

Its really fucked that they published some of the stuff they did. Some of the last chapters are literally just directions to himself as to how the characters should be described as acting or saying something.

Is this true? Because it really feels like its falling apart

it's just a "you meet the mortician" scene.
It's kind of cliche, but the end of the book was intended to be a sort of walk-into-death.
When Fogle is waiting outside Merril's office you could say he's really waiting to meet guide, hence the circular quiz his assistants put him through regarding "the blue devils"

those aren't chapters.
As far as I can recall there isn't much "stage direction" either.
those were ideas for character storylines and scenes from part two that didn't make it in.
Some of this was clearly moved forward into part 1 however.
There really wasn't as much actual material missing as many people believe.
This confusions stems from a misunderstanding about manuscript length and David's extensive note-taking.
There were in reality around 6 extra chapters. 4 were added to the paperback edition and were for the most part clearly unfinished.
One of these stories was published separately following his death, "all that", which is really sort of his public suicide note.

I still would appreciate very much a pdf of those 4 new chapters, Mr. Autist.

This book should be renamed "The Pain is Real"

Those are not chapters dude. It's an appendix, or did you miss the fact that that the section is called "Notes and asides" and the editor literally says it consists of notes that DFW was putting together as he thought about how the book would go?

Attached: d27.png (645x729, 75K)