Why does he hate Camus and Dosto so much?

Why does he hate Camus and Dosto so much?

Attached: 240px-Vladimir_Nabokov_1973[1].jpg (240x366, 25K)

because they suck

Why?

Because he sucks

Camus sucks, so he's right to hate him. But he was just jelly of Dosty.

He probably didn't appreciate Dosto's moralizing because he was an old libertine

Well he hated Dostoevsky because he was a Christian. Same for Eliot. He was a pretty obsessive anti-theist if you actually care to read his essays, almost like their moral values conflicted with something he was deeply passionate about... I don’t know, probably nothing.

fpbp

Hardly nothing, he was a crypto Jew.

if you actually read nabokov it would be easy to see. its not just that ppl like peterson would talk incessantly about them in his day as well as our own.

its also that nabokov aesthetically thought cliches about being deep, excessive moralizing, heavy-handed allegories, and pretentious sentimentality & spirituality (again, peterson comes to mind) were boring and extremely trite.

a lot of russians actually feel this way about Dostoevsky and the 60s onward a lot of russian writers wanted to reject that kind of poshlost shit.

Wow, that’s cool of him. Too bad no one gives a fuck about Nabokov anymore and Dostoevsky is as relevant as ever. That kinda backfired on him

>peterson xD

Just as a thought experiment, consider how many times Nabokov is brought up concerning his novels, then consider how many times Nabokov is brought up concerning his criticism of greater writers.

>no one gives a fuck about Nabokov anymore

lol ok

Oh my bad, jaded posers pretend to care about him.

would he have liked dfw?

extremely low iq post

i miss the old Yea Forums where the primary mode of conversation wasnt a crowd of midgets fighting over who is the tallest

I miss the old thread when this post wasnt in it

I miss the old world when you weren't in it

Weak... and derivative.

lmfao

Only good post itt and then a bunch of intellectual lilliputes

He had good taste

You know he published lectures on exactly these topics, right? They're not even that long or difficult to read

This is the retarded Canadian poster who has terrible low IQ way of writing.

based

he was a fat fucking kike who had no respect for his superiors

wtf is doing Svidrigailov on a pic

Why did he only write about absolute degenerates?

he's being shoehorned in.

nabby was a soulless aesthete and hated people for believing in anything. even tolstoy, whom he praises, he chastises for his "utilitarian morality", which "no one takes seriously", y'know except gandhi and mlk.

you write what you know.

i say that as a fan btw. turgenev nailed it when he called him the "russian de sade". i totally believe that story about him weinsteining that young orphan girl.

Wait what story? Explain pls.

I don't think he was that much of an anti theist, he called Freud satanic garbage

my memory's a bit foggy, but it's mentioned in geir kjetsaa's biography. allegedly, turgenev claims that dostoevsky confessed it to him. the way it went down, iirc, is that dostoevsky visited him and asked him to hear his confession. then he tells him about an incident in which he wrote an article against this woman who was either in charge of an orphanage or she was this girl's legal guardian. anyway, she was mistreating her or abusing her in some way, and dostoevsky got her taken away from her. awhile later, dostoevsky sees her walking down the street, picks her up, and rapes her. he confesses this to turgenev, and he's disgusted with him. dostoevsky then says something like "of all the people i hate, none of them i hate more than turgenev". the writer of the bio suggests that turgenev isn't lying but that dostoevsky made this up out of some pathological need to atone for the world's sins or something, which i find a lot less plausible than the confession being genuine, although it is possibly turgenev just made it up (i was being a little facetious when i said i totally believed this; i honestly don't know to think).

He hated psychologists for the same reason. Notice their placement in Lolita, and how Humbert Humbert cleverly tricks them away from his true intentions.

Turgenev was the head of a literary circle that despised Dostoevsky. The “friend” group in Notes is based on them. Get some context.

Nabokov was a purely aesthetic being so naturally he hates everyone who aspired to transcend aesthetics (particularly existentialists)

/thread

They do something that he can’t.