Greatest living american writer

>greatest living american writer
>you don't even know his name

Attached: willy t.png (200x266, 61K)

Other urls found in this thread:

exiledonline.com/david-foster-wallace-portrait-of-an-infinitely-limited-mind/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

holy... herman melville looked like THAT?

It's Herman Melville if I'm not mistaken.

there's no way I'm reading all this shit

Attached: rising up and rising down.jpg (2000x1500, 259K)

Do I start with Europe Central or what?

Either that, Fathers and Crows, or The Atlas. The Seven Dreams tetraology (is that the word for it? heptology? whatever seven books in a group is) is probably what he'll be remembered for.

Picked up The Rainbow Stories recently purely from the influence of the threads I've been seeing here every so often but I have no idea if it is even a remotely good place to start with his work.

I shill the V-Man weekly on this board but I don't think I've convinced any of these plebs to pick him up yet.

Attached: willy.png (1023x324, 233K)

His prostitution novels are just Bukowski for people who went to Cornell. I'd steer clear. His nonfiction might be worth checking out if you have time, just to get into his writing style. Best single novel is either The Dying Grass, Fathers and Crows, or Europe Central

Thanks to his unbelievably shitty afterword to Celine’s Journey to the End of the Night where he makes this cringey attempt to imitate his style by missing every beat of it has made me put his books back by at least a decade

I loved You Bright and Risen Angels, not just for the tinge of "cartoon" magic realism, but for the self pitying character Bug. Vollmann is a fantastic, lucid stylist no doubt, but I have trouble getting into historical fiction. Does anyone know of anything else that's similar to his first work?

Top pleb, the afterword is a hilarious shitpost

Tetralogy is a set of four, though people usually say "quadrilogy" because they're assholes.

>go into shop in university town
>find the abridged version of pic related
>decide to buy it
>go to counter and clerk mentions hes got the full version for sale
>"oh uh how much"
>1500$
>I'll stick with the abridged

Attached: 1550968328491.jpg (960x902, 59K)

There's a bookstore in my area that has a first edition copy of T.S. Eliot's The Wasteland with a misprint on one word. They've been trying to sell it for $$8,500 for 30 years

Woah..surely some museum or university would be interested in something like that?

>These philistines are just too plainly stupid to lay out the cash that The Tasteland demands

I've tried enjoying his work many times; it all just seems so pointlessly indulgent to me. I think it's just that I prefer minimalist aesthetics. There's nothing minimalistic about Vollmann. However, on the top of one of my stacks is a copy of Europe Central that glares at me eternally.

exiledonline.com/david-foster-wallace-portrait-of-an-infinitely-limited-mind/

lit btfo dfw btfo vollman btfo fuck u faggots

He’s just trying to distract himself from the guilt of accidentally killing his sister. This explains the prodigious output. He also clearly constantly puts himself into dangerous life-threatening situations because, again, the guilt. Deathwish baby

He writes a lot or crockshit. Just filling pages upon pages of dull nonsense. No craft, no original ideas. Basically a glorified Wikipedia article.