What are some books that deal with suburban sprawl?

what are some books that deal with suburban sprawl?

Attached: 3732615241_75fe47d9f0_o.0.0-suburban-sprawl-3.jpg (1200x800, 263K)

lewis mumford, technics and civilization

crabgrass frontier
makes me a little nauseous looking at that picture

Attached: hellscape.jpg (1500x998, 1.69M)

I think this is beautiful.

On a related note,any books about the Soviet Khrushchyovka/Concrete apartments?

Attached: buildings.jpg (1280x842, 312K)

>mfw the thought of reading books about the most boring thing on the planet

Attached: 1266510515567.jpg (450x600, 61K)

literal human farms

On a related note, any good books about urbanism?

How can merimutts stand this

If I woke up in a place like that I'd shoot myself.
I can't. That's why I pay ridiculous rent just to be innacity and not have to look at 'burbtards
Just read /n/'s archives and welcome to your salvation against boomer nimbyfication and the television generation's destruction of the nation. We used to have god tier cities before darkies and boomerfucks destroyed everything.
>look at this perfectly good city
>let's put a bunch of megahighways right through the middle!

From Urbanisation to Cities

>If I woke up in a place like that I'd shoot myself.
Why?

Jane Jacobs
Saskia Sassen
David Harvey
Richard Sennett

Or if you're more into literature:
Bely - Petersburg
Joyce - Ulysses
Cela - The Bee Hive
Dos Passos - Manhattan Transfer
Teirlinck - Het Ivoren Aapje
Boon - Vergeten Straat
Bordewijk - Blokken
and so on

Thanks

Jesus christ it's a cardboard box on a human farm. soulless, isolating, it's manufactured housing for a consumer lifestyle. the only thing you can do in a place like that is go to work then the fucking mall in a cage and every cent along the way goes to some sleazy kike. imagine walking out your door and there's a bunch of fucking nothing. want to go for a walk? pass the same house and same yard 50 times and still never get out of the humanfarm. it's like being forced to watch a 20 second film clip over and over for days on end. it's dehumanizing to live in such a place.

Attached: trogir.jpg (1024x576, 259K)

Crying of Lot 49

t. ant

You make a good point, I agree with it. I thought it looked nice from an engineering and even aethstetic point of view. I like neat stuff but I also like chaotic landscapes.

I didn't considering how suffocating living there would be however. I wonder if that's the same reason it was built.

SPRAWLING ON THE FRINGES OF THE CITY

Attached: 9EDA2E50-81C6-40B5-B08C-04BC65F01EB4.jpg (500x400, 23K)

This is what happens when you have subsidized, free, public roads. It becomes economical to do shit like this. It's also connected to artificially low interest rates.

If all roads were privatized and were allowed to price gouge, cities would have higher suburban gravity, higher density, and ridesharing would become so profitable that private mass transit would explode.

Attached: avatar1983996_2.gif (154x194, 12K)

Leon Krier

Attached: leonkrier-70.jpg (750x601, 36K)

Geography of nowhere

Josep Lluis Sert "Can our cities survive?"
Lewis Mumford "The city in history"

Attached: Munkkiniemi-Haaga Plan Helsinki central hill.jpg (732x599, 165K)

Biography of Le Corbusier

so instead you post a picture of a foreign-owned airbnb wasteland full of tourist shops selling chinese made garbage

where are the trees???

Deanoboxes are the new council tower flats

that's one of the oldest continuously inhabited urban environments in the world. if you want a living case-study for sustainable urbanization there are few better examples.

The Power Broker

Just listen to the Arcade Fire album

Natures Metropolis, an ecological history of Chicago, is supposed to be a fantastic book

>implying one of you fags actually goes outside for a minute
you had me chuckle there for a second

White Noise, but it's super gay

>I thought it looked nice from an engineering and even aethstetic point of view
Civil engineer here, roadways designer. What the fuck do you find beautiful in this sprawling boringness? Some highway exchange literally give me ripples in the dinkle from their pure geometric beauty, but there's nothing beautiful in that picture, especially not from an engineering point of view.

Build apartments like sane asian cities do

anyone that keeps a lawn just to keep a lawn should be shot and flogged

>suburbs?
>we live in a society!

They take our LAWN!
U-S-A!! U-S-A!! U-S-A!!

Realistically if we want to save the planet, after Africa, China, India and Beanistan we will also have to level all of you city roaches. Eco-ethno-fascism is the only solution to the AI devil.

Oryx and Crake, kind of

first world countries (america, european countries, etc) are far more destructive to the environment than developing or whatever "shithole" countries most people think of. kind of ironic. capitalism is responsible for it all.

Cities are expensive and sometimes not very child friendly if you want to start a family. People move out into the suburbs to have a quiet life and have a family. Then the kids grow up in the suburbs and its all they really know, cities are just tourist spots to them and the countryside is fucking nothing to them. So they stay in the suburbs when they start a family and a career. Its not a dream home for most people but its affordable depending on where exactly you're living and it gives you everything you need without the chaos of a city and its not just empty fields where the nearest shopping center is 15 miles away like in rural areas.

Yeah but we're also the only ones who care at all. If you WANT the chinese and Africans to rape each other and every animal until the sun explodes just say so

These don't look as bad if it had much more greenery and much more trees. Also a sense of community

Attached: trees.png (835x365, 644K)

Bumping with suburbs that have trees

Attached: Trees(3).jpg (250x363, 51K)

Admit it, now it looks almost humanly to live in

Attached: Trees.jpg (768x491, 383K)

Attached: Trees (2).jpg (575x804, 83K)

Yeah, older suburbs are some of the most peaceful places to live, like in New England and the Pacific Northwest. Lots of beautiful flora, quiet neighbors, privacy, low crime, none of the repulsive sterility of those enormous new subdivisions like the ones in the Phoenix metro area.

How is it a good idea to lump everything together? It won't create sprawl and the space would be arranged much more efficiently, but man.. just imagine all the noise and hustle of people constantly moving and interacting.

It looks like organic tissue viewed from up close. It is, in a way, beautiful. Would I live there myself? It depends where I'd be coming from. Having grown up in a Pripyat-tier commie shithole, I can't not find it a bit tempting.

Attached: orasul-Victoria,-jud.-Braso.jpg (1600x909, 428K)

It's literally the same commie blocks sprawled out instead of built up.

all i see is a cultural black hole

It's quiet and it doesn't have a shit tone of people suffering from collective neurosis and anxiety issues. It's the ideal place for the urban dwellers sick of the perversity and chaos of the global city.

this guy knows. it is the way.

suburbs only exist because the government in the US is under the control of dickweed car manufacturers

An interesting point I saw the other day was that, whilst commie blocks were still horrible to live in, their verticality was at least more conducive to the human condition. In nature, things that grow up are good (trees, flowers), whereas things that grow horizontally are usually bad (fungi, for example). By flattening out commie blocks into the suburbia-hells you build something that feels bad at an instinctual level. At least, when you leave a commie block, you leave it immediately. To leave a suburb, you have to get in a car and drive a good ten minutes, just to be free.

commieblocks at least usually have parks nearby and some greenery

>Here's your affordable living in a NYC apartment bro

Attached: NYC Micro Apartments.png (995x662, 924K)

only efficient city would be devoid of life

that's bigger than mine. ive got a coffee shop across the street, a concert venue next door, and a whiskey lounge downstairs i take girls to. city life is the superior way to live

>those sock tanlines

> a coffee shop across the street, a concert venue next door, and a whiskey lounge downstairs i take girls to

is this what passes of as urban culture nowadays? You do know you can have all those in a village-suburban like setting too you know. And you don't have to pay out of whack prices just to barely exist in that setting.

>ah yes the familiar sight of drunk retards stumbling into me as I try to enter my room, constant music shouting through the walls when I attempt to sleep BUT AT LEAST I GOT MY STARBUCKS
lol?

Leon Krier prefers this sort of arrangement to a single CBD. People live within good distance of their places of work and leisure without being overcrowded. Not a tortured city with people having to drive 2 hours just to reach their jobs and entertainment.

Attached: leonkrier-screen-shot-2017-01-10-at-1-50-08-pm.png (591x361, 70K)

Except mycelium has a symbiotic relationship with trees and plants...?

Of course, but as a general rule, we perceive things which 'sprawl' as being aggressive in their expansion on the land around them. We see this most with fungi, which while still having a symbiotic relationship with most plants, seem to force their way onto a landscape and often bring about a sense of ugliness.

Then it's significantly better then commie blocks because, if nothing else, everybody gets more space.
I'm not defending the suburban way of life, I'm just saying a little perspective might make you see it isn't the hell on earth you Americans make it to be.

>STARBUCKS
not quite. the rest is about right though. its pretty great
>a village-suburban like setting
pic related

Attached: 1542556719970.jpg (259x194, 9K)

Enjoy your smog and pollution

>uniform
>modular
>no clutter
>open
>probably has good systems underneath which are easy to maintain

I can't remember what author originated the term "junkspace" but you might look into that

the air is pretty damn good re: the air quality index. probably as good or better than your plastic mailbox parking lot village. i definitely wouldn't use the sidewalk here without shoes though

It's all I've known, and when I think about it I really don't know how I stand it. I suppose because suburbs like this provide security and comfort. But they really are as bad as you imagine them to be. Maybe even worse, because they're so unfathomably alienating. I hope to escape the 'burbs someday. Though, unfortunately for now, cities are too expensive and small towns are all dying.

cities are expensive but you make more money. move to a real city and chances are your life will change in some seriously amazing ways. im never going back to the borbs.

Attached: 1523153585634.jpg (535x462, 54K)

Ballard

I especially recommend The Unlimited Dream Factory.
High-rise is a bit different but also fun.

this makes me appreciate being a euro even more
thank god for midieval nonplanning

Attached: 1550027976236.jpg (480x480, 47K)

just read wrathofgnon twitter

You have the same mentality as eastern euros who want to escape their villages and go live in the city because they feel alienated and depressed because of the poverty. After half my life living in middle, big, and huge cities, there's nothing that made me appreciate the quiet and semi-solitude of the village.

'Course american suburbs are only designed as a come and go place, not somewhere to actually live a sustainable life.

Just imagine a village that has the same aesthetic as a green suburb like pic related but with the same economic sustainability as a city. Heaven on earth.

Attached: DSC_0372-2.jpg (2131x1430, 1.02M)

This is your mind on heroin and cp

Rural, private village and small city are all god tier. Anything else is for literal niggers

redpilled

This. The cope and neurotic rage of city bugs when someone doesn't want to live like a vermin is hysterical.

>All the houses look the same >:( I need a unique house to reflect my unique personality and way of life!

>CBD
>666
spotted the australian

Attached: 001f.gif (370x300, 141K)

Trogir looks fantastic. Really the dalmatian costs have some super comfy cities. Those small tight old towns remind me of my hometown (Stockholm) old town

Attached: dubrovnik--ivo-pervan-1600x900.jpg (1600x900, 512K)

Less Suburban Sprawl and more about the upper-middle class who would live there, but I'd recommend Franzen's "Freedom".

Cheever is obviously important too, if you want to read about it.

Attached: freedom-by-jonathan-franzen.jpg (2105x2391, 1.84M)

>libraries with their fucking glue on the dust cover shit
im glad they are all turning into public urinals for homeless people

Attached: 1447686260824.jpg (409x409, 33K)

I completely understand the impulse to flee the cities.
If someone came up to me and said "there is a neighborhood where you will be surrounded by people who think like you (let's say well educated family oriented hard workers with outdoor and fitness hobbies who like reading challenging books, listening to challenging music, playing bridge and poker, drinking moderate amounts of wine, even though at the time it was basically reaganite christian patriots), it's incredibly safe, decent school district, you can afford a house with a small yard there on a single salary, and you can drive 20-45 mins to your job with reasonable hours from your boring house" I would have to take that deal.
The soul-destroying nature of the thing is entirely a byproduct of the people living there. This projection of the spirit onto the architecture is super lame. Ecologically a disaster though but that's evocative from our experiences in 201X, not inherent to the aesthetics
I would be very surprised if late millennials/zoomers don't have their own version of white flight. I believe we are all very much over the urban areas we've been forced into by our jobs and school.

There was a short story collection about the suburbs, full of quasi-linked characters/stories I read a few years back, by a satirical author, that I can't remember. For me, the stand-out story included a husband and wife who end up purposefully killing themselves together in a vehicle with the exhaust. The title and the author completely escape me. Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

You caught me :)