At library

>at library
>see Pynchon book
>remember him from here
>open it up
>immediately assaulted by three back-to-back run-on sentences that lose their original train of thought half way through
And this guy is supposed to be good?

Attached: 51zJLOupegL._SX330_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (332x499, 38K)

I refuse to buy the Companion Book for TCoL49 even though I have no idea what the fuck it was about.

>a book can't be good if it doesn't stringently follow the grammar laws I learned in 9th grade English

Wow, your insightful criticism has completely BTFO years of scholarly study and negated the fact that this book is taught in literature courses!

Who the fuck cares. The notion that Pynchon is the post-modern equal to Joyce is embarassing. He can’t write, he can’t think. There’s no atmosphere, there’s no scenes.

I’m sorry but millions of disagree with you on your last two sentences.
I can also reply to your post with “who the fuck cares” which will hopefully make you see how empty your own thoughts are.

Just because something is "deep" doesn't mean it's good. You can make anything mean whatever you want the more you study it and jerk off about how smart you are.

>if some fat frustrated faggot with a superior complex said it's good, therefore, it's good
Kill yourself. There's absolutely nothing in Pynchon. His sentences are awkward, and even when that's the effect he wants to achieve, it's still awkward, and just plain cringe. There are no scenes, no good dialogues, no insights into the human condition or anything really. No aesthetic sense. Nothing. Pynchon is just trash, and his stick is "haha lole le wacky post modern man! dude lmao postmodernism is supposed to make you feel uncomfortable and at the edge of your seat, i swear it's not my shit writing".

>Which will hopefully make you see how empty your own thoughts are

Attached: BD7B2954-704A-478B-B70D-AB2600853F64.gif (375x250, 2.02M)

I can tell you’ve never cracked open a Pynchon book in your life.

Yeah dude, i'm sure you think yourself to be an intellectual because you managed to "read" (it took you a month and you daydreamed through most of it and you barely remember anything of the plot or the prose)Gravity's Rainbows, run on sentences and meandering shifts of point of view and style. You fucking faggot, no one cares about Pynchon. Only americans, and that's because americans are retarded, but anyone with something resembling an aesthetic sense will see how fucking pathetic his books are, they scream american mediocrity in every page.

>someone had a different opinion than I do? No, that's impossible! I'm always right! He must not have read anything by the author!

Attached: 1551455042259.jpg (320x320, 26K)

Oh, so you think the only valid way to read a book is to perform a scholarly exegesis? Do you also think you can truly “read” a book in the sense you are trying to imply with one read? Do you seriously think people don’t read for pleasure? Pynchon is a good author. His books are entertaining. His work stands up on a critical level.

Odd how you didn’t include him () or anyone else in this thread in this same reply...it’s almost like you don’t believe what you’re saying.

He replied not even a minute before I did, you fucking autist.

Attached: 1456752301863.jpg (1104x1600, 353K)

>argue that the book is good because scholars say so
>"You read like a scholar, you fucking weirdo?"

Attached: 1551194526503.png (306x290, 6K)

Oh, God, the contrarianism

>use greentext arrow and wildly and purposely misquote post to build my own strawman
>heh I really got him eh grandma?

I agree, he's a mess of a writer
millions? ....no

>read Pynchon
>can't talk to people unless everything is stated literally
So this is the power of Pynchon.

Early Pynchon and late Pynchon are completely different. His prose changes pretty significantly. If you don't like V., Lot 49, Gravity's Rainbow, or Dixon, try Vineland, Inherent Vice, Bleeding Edge, and Against the day. I enjoy his prose a lot more in his later stuff. It's way more readable and flows well.

No it's that your take on him, that he can't set a scene and whatever, is spectacularly shit that he was giving you the benefit of the doubt

Americans are desperate to have decent writers, so they promote memes like Pynchon and fucking DFW.

>non sequitur
>Look grandma! Get grandpa in here too! I want you all to witness my epicness at ((((scholarly)))) debate

you need to work on your capability for holding information in your short term memory

His prose still suffers from the same lol so epic randomness and wankery in his later work that destroys all semblance of possible aesthetic. His plots are embarrassing, trying to paint huge conspiracies and connections between different moments in the book but then leaving them all unconcluded (probably because he can't conclude them) (ex. Ending of col49 where he just stops his novel in the middle of a scene). He is a hack. Nice songs tho.

The ending to TCOL is good, if you want to know what happens then you simply didn't get it

I'm trying to not be rude but have you really read his late works? Because they're nothing like what you've described. Inherent Vice is probably the most straight narrative of his, so is Vineland and Bleeding Edge. Maybe your narrative criticism could extend to Against The Day but even then there's a pretty significant story and plot going through with it. And they're all pretty resolved at the end. I really urge you to give him a try despite your bad experience with his early stuff.

Doesn't apply to GR either, the plot is more or less tied into a nice little bow

Be rude. This is idiot has never read a Pynchon book. He is spouting off Yea Forums memes and information he gathered from the "Plot", "Themes", and "Critical Interpretation"/"Analysis" sections off Wikipedia.

I'm reading bleeding edge right now. Haven't finished it, but from what I've heard people say the book ends inconclusively with the 9/11 attacks. The prose still suffers from the same problems I think (ex. OH BOY! Ya wanna know how these two meet? Well, silly Maxine stumbled onto a cheap cruise that was empty except those participating in the annual blind-deaf getaway that same week! And Frank here was the camera guy! So he sez... Etc. Etc.).

Shut the fuck up idiot. Sorry to say people have different opinions then you. I read col49 and it was complete dogshit.

U have to be baiting

In your opinion ;)

Ah, yes, as if he doesn't share the same opinion as you, then he clearly never read the book! Go and suck Pynchon's muted trumpet.

Ugh, I wish

>the plot is more or less tied into a nice little bow
If I had a nickel for every unfinished plot point in Gravity's rainbow, I'd have a lot of nickels.

Not really

There is really no such thing as a run on sentence. That’s just something your middle school language arts teacher told you so that your writing would be comprehensible in an academic or professional environment. There sentences in literature thousands of words long. There are entire novels that are one sentence.

The weird rambling sentences are always tough for me at the start but I hit a stride at some point and they become more comprehensible.