Was Whitehead a mystic?

Was Whitehead a mystic?

Attached: whitehead.jpg (390x522, 61K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yIj2-lSnQ5M
youtube.com/watch?v=VQyJF8jRGko
youtube.com/watch?v=NUebEP-gDJU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

not sure but i personally am and it's really fun to be one. pantheism is the future

>whitehead
>white and bald

its fun, its like atheism but you dont feel dead inside

not for me no, all of reality is a single consciousness experiencing itself from every perspective. all of reality is Divine

Is he like Collingwood?

Did he write an Aesthetics?

dont egosplain pantheism to my temporary pattern

i don't know collingwood, but in adventure of ideas whithead writes that the creativity of the universe is directed toward the realization of beauty.

i don't know what that means. i was just saying my pantheism isn't athiestic at all

collingwood separates the idea of beauty from art, but you haven't read him, so there is no point in talking about it

Attached: giphy (1).gif (480x366, 1.13M)

Depends upon how one defines the terms mystic and philosopher. He strikes me as an exquisitely lucid, composed, and philosophically oriented mystic insofar as he speaks to an identical subject matter and possesses the same sensitivity the mystic does. He articulates mystical notions with the clarity and precision of a philosopher. I'd even go so far as to claim his grace and intuitive sense of things is that of a poets at times. Whitehead was everything I love and he is one of my heroes.

Attached: 1548200665289.jpg (411x604, 157K)

based af post

can you pls bulletpoint his positions for someone of low intelligence, i'm into eastern nondualism and would like to know what whitehead is about

Whitehead's thought is expansive and complex. It is understandable and not as frightening as some make it out to be, but it takes time to get a sense of his words, which may seem unusual at first, but become poignantly suiting as familiarity arrives.

youtube.com/watch?v=yIj2-lSnQ5M

This video is a very succinct and brief introduction which should give you a rough sense of his thoughts and certain key terms which he develops throughout his works. The producer also wrote a fantastically interesting essay forwarding a theory of psychedelic experience within Process Metaphysics.

youtube.com/watch?v=VQyJF8jRGko

This video is longer and more biographical and gives you a good sense of him as a man and some of his philosophical concerns.

youtube.com/watch?v=NUebEP-gDJU

This video gets more into the meat of his metaphysics and provides more detail.

Ultimately I recommend actually reading him. Even if you have certain disagreements in his final evaluation, his critiques of competing systems are absolutely devastating and for that alone he is worth reading, although I think his system as a whole has immense value, perhaps in need of some minor amendments. for a good start I recommend either Modes of Thought as a good way to ascertain many general principles of his thinking or Religion In The Making as a shorter introductory text with a number of profound insights and a overview of his spiritual/metaphysical world picture.

Attached: 45729864_2332347720127375_8511357697168244736_n.jpg (960x960, 218K)

I appreciate the information, but I'm unironically not very smart at grasping super technical stuff. Is he someone a more simplistic mind could grasp?

just try harder

I generally think philosophy is more accessible than is commonly thought, but philosophers often have difficulty communicating their ideas in a simple manner, and that teachers often fail to frame things in a way that can be understood by their pupils. The challenge is developing a sense of particular words such that they can be woven together into a meaningfully related whole. So I don't think Whitehead is intrinsically obscure, but his presentation, though wonderful, is not as easy as it could be. I'd say just take a shot on a shorter text like Religion In The Making and see how it goes. if it seems too daunting maybe youtube videos will be more concise and by returning to them enough you will begin to pick up a basic understanding of his thought such that it makes breaking into other things by him easier. Learning anything complex will take a certain amount of work, if you are a bit slower than others it might just take longer, but I feel like with motivation and time you could get a lot further than you might expect.

Attached: Khnopff0070.jpg (1200x1070, 212K)

you've posted this image before and i am so unsettled by it. genesis and the day of judgment and all in-between in a single moment. where is it from?

Denis Forkas Kostromitin. He is an outstanding artist, one of my favorites.He generally produces images esoteric biblical satanic fantasy, heavy with symbolism. I love images like the one shared because of their metaphorical strength as a depiction of the self, samsara, as-above so-below etc. I like to collect images with poetic/philosophical force and ones with a central witness amidst form and flux speak to me of the lifeworld which we all find ourselves as the central permanent witness. The unmoved mountain which the mists of the world pass over. That image was just one of my favorite examples of that kind of artwork.

Attached: download.jpg (809x1064, 794K)

Any connections between Eliade & Whitehead?

No idea. Haven't read Eliade though I want to. Whiteheads cosmology involves a very careful phenomenological account of lived experience as his fundamental basis and is concerned with aesthetics and emotional intensity, it is likely that a wide variety of perspectives could be framed under his umbrella, whether or not that would be fruitful or one would simply be connectig the dots tediously is another question.

Attached: DLfQk8LWAAAB4HI.jpg (903x627, 90K)

Why can you niggers discuss whitehead but whenever theres a bergson thread no one posts in it. Wtf, too assblasted to respond to any shit

Did Whitehead concern himself with early religion, like Shamanism?

He provides a theory for the origin of religious experience in Religion In The Making. He theorizes that in the same way birds will swoop and sive for no other purpose than emotional excitation group religious practices emerge from superfluous excitation of energies for thw attainment of emotional intensity and that this is the first moment of religious activities which go on to develop into more complex forms and understandings. Been a while since i read it and i wouldnt be able to do the theory justice.

Attached: 28893977140_187e5b6b13_o.jpg (1280x975, 216K)

Eliade has a similar theory. He refers to the function as ecstacy & not emotional intensity, though.

Collingwood is less denigratory. He claims shamanic rituals are ways of building up morale for magic functions which uphold society.

Whitehead is immensely sympathetic to religion and places great value on intuition and emotion. For him evocation of emotional intensity is not denigrative in the slightest. If i had time id track down a quote exemplifying this but i am busy atm

Attached: lady ridge.jpg (1005x1312, 521K)

lol

'There is nothing in the real world which is merely an inert fact. Every reality is there for feeling: it promotes feeling; and it is felt.' PR, p. 310
emotion is not just important, it is the intitiatory phase of any new actual occasion, the primordial mode of all experience.

Which text is this?

process and reality

was whitehead a dadaist

"Giraffe tit." - Alfred North Whitehead, Process and Reality

Absolutely.

whitehead's bizarre (pan)theism has its own name : pancreativism.

Yes, magic is the controlled evocation of intensities, the extremes of which are imagined as gods

Yeah magick can actually be secularized/disenchanted, though i prefer to see things like that as the reenchantment of the world rather than the disenhantment of the mystical. A nuanced view can synthesize these elements as i believe whitehead does

Attached: art-tim-hecker-print-100-available-1.jpg (920x845, 77K)

What is the value of entering new occasions?

Whiteheadian theurgy is totally plausible

in brief: novelty. the realization of untried possibilities; the discovery of new contrasting intensities of feeling; change for its own sake.
there is a strange passage in process and reality where he entertains the possibility of psychic abilities, so he at least thought this consistent with everything else. i am less certain about magic, at least as it is typically imagined. there is certainly something magic-like in a lot of our newest technologies. instantaneous communication at great distances, the capture and control of cataclysmic forces that can be unleashed at any time; and so on. shooting fireballs from our hands, though--i dunno, far-fetched.

Are you that poetry user who posts in the schizo threads

busted.

Cool, post some poems