Plato Reading Order

I have read enough prereqs that I think I'm ready for platos complete work. I'd like to ask for a reading order. I dont really see recommendations for the entire work just some of the essential ones so I was thinking of reading

Euthyphro>Apology>Crito>Phaedo

and then just the rest in whatever order likely the the order they are placed in the book besides these. Does this sound good?

Attached: 51MzSp6UPlL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (333x499, 37K)

i would read the republic after you complete those and then read the others in whatever order, except maybe the late works i would read last

Read them in the order they're in in that book

1. The Last Days of Socrates (Euthyphro / Apology / Crito / Phaedo)
2. The Republic
There you go.

There’s no strict order, but starting with Euthyphro/Apology/Crito/Phaedo is always the best intro to Plato imo. One other thing I’d also recommend reading before the Republic is the Gorgias, which is kinda like a proto-Republic.

You asked this the other day, and the intro in that book explains "the orders" very well, by pointing out that you'll never figure out exactly what order they were actually written in, so the next best thing is to just read stuff which is held traditionally important as the mood strikes you. The book presents the material in the best available "traditional" ordering of western culture, but this does have clear chronological gaps in a few places. These are secondary to the content of whatever philosophical ideas or historical items/personages are under discussion in a given piece though, which is the point.

Trial and death of Socrates first, Republic sometime shortly thereafter. Also Meno and Timaeus.

Get off the internet and read the book.

You're going to read like 5 dialogues max then give up.

Honestly stop fucking obsessing over how to read something, and just fucking read. It really doesn't matter. This goes for literature in general, not just Plato. This board would be far better if people just read books instead of talking about how and when to read without ever reading.

If everyone did that then no one would be on Yea Forums

And we would all be so much better off

Hijacking this thread to ask, what is the best translation of the Enneads? I don't need some crazy long academic version, but I don't want babby's first Neoplatonism either. Seems like there aren't many good versions that don't cut out stuff without being like $75

I have read them in order, but skipping the ones on metaphysics and focusing on Ethics.

>reading Plato
>skipping his metaphysical dialogues
That's the only reason you read Plato in the first place

Attached: 1551459996704.png (1508x892, 171K)

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAAHA

love these

I have almost zero interest in metaphysics, but I really like Ancient Ethics.
I think it is more useful too.

Based

>ethics without philosophical anthropology

That's like having a theory of how to manage a sbluxmat without first knowing what the sbluxmat is

Attached: 1552640162389.jpg (602x602, 51K)

I jumped right into the Republic

Attached: 1547918283726.jpg (1242x1394, 156K)

That’s great... uhhh is there a reason you’re not wearing a shirt? Clothing is required to discuss things like this you know

Based Reddit user

Attached: 1547984120574.jpg (480x640, 57K)

... yeah I'm probably sure, there's like 542 million monthly visitors
It's like The Hacker Known as Yea Forums

And read Nietzsche before Plato

Attached: _20190316_170157.jpg (852x362, 36K)

Do you think reddit has any kind of interest in Plato's ethics? They are much more likely to agree with you on what Plato's philosophy is good for than with me.

Well said, reddit gold for you my friend!

Google "favorite Plato dialogue reddit".
You will see that they share your tastes more than mine.

If you don't start with a Greek, you end with a Greek, twink.

Attached: serveimage-15.jpg (1280x720, 88K)

>heh...I'm a 4channer, we read Theaetetus 'round these parts, not *opens wikipedia* Charmides like some numale redditor..right guys

Honestly who the fuck cares what Plato dialogues somebody prefers. Are you people really so autistic?
None of you have anything interesting to say about literature, so you just swing your parroted tastes around like some large spirit-dick. Not knowing that anybody that isn't a pseud can see straight through to the flaccid little physical member hiding behind.

Agreed *upvotes you*

This is supposedly the Neo-Platonic reading order, per Iamblichus and his ilk. Seems like a very good rhythm of progression.

Attached: 12dialoguesiamblichean.jpg (345x649, 58K)

>Timaeus
>Physics

Attached: 1551484501091.jpg (498x750, 384K)

Tell that to this guy
I just answered him in that his insult doesn't make sense, given that redditors share the same preferences as his.

Gorgias was the favorite reading of everyone's favorite professor at my school

I like this cuz it doesn't have euthyphro

Am I the only one who didn't like euthyphro

Same, didnt even read no presocratic bitchass niga

I honestly have no clue what kind of emotion a clown running in a wide grass trail is supposed to convey. My only guess is that it’s something weird.