Let's have another one of those bible threads. If you have any questions I can probably answer them

Let's have another one of those bible threads. If you have any questions I can probably answer them.

Attached: 2216.jpg (1200x801, 159K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/product/0195288564
gotquestions.org/lost-sheep-Israel.html.
thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/trevin-wax/why-did-jesus-say-he-came-only-for-israel/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

hey, uh, bible guy, does a guy go to hell if he dies like an idiot?

Attached: 1169BFA4-A22B-4067-9464-F82FEEB96115.jpg (1280x720, 114K)

best decent copy of the rsv ce? im looking at Ignatius' Didache Bible, looks quite good

Why do you guys claim homosexuality to be a sin, and endlessly harass gays over it, but not follow through on the Levitical laws your God expects you to obey?

Leviticus 20:13, specifically

Is it better to learn Latin or Classical Greek?

Attached: image.png (534x307, 52K)

Is Calvinism supported Biblically?

Is KJV the best English translation?

I actually don't think the Didache Bible is all that good. The commentary is very sparse and it's only based on the Catechism, so you may as well buy a Catechism which refers to the scripture instead. One thing I do like about it is the short section before each book which talks about when the books were probably written, who the intended audience was, who the authors are, and things like that. The apologetic inserts can be useful but they're randomly placed and don't have anything to do with the surrounding text.

If you're willing to move away from the RSV-CE I would recommend the Little Rock study bible. It's in the same price range as the Didache Bible and the commentary is much more comprehensive.

anyone?

All children of God go to Heaven, given that they ask for forgiveness and undergo circumcision.
DFJ is the superior English translation.
See Mark 23:4.
Based.
Idk.
No.

Do you mean the laws regarding the punishment of homosexuals? Many of these laws found in the Old Testament are regulating life in the kingdom or worship in the temple. The kingdom and temple no longer exist so they no longer apply, the context for them was removed. The primary reason Christians consider homosexuality or any other sexual deviation a sin is because in Genesis marriage was instituted as being between man and woman, and it was even confirmed to be this way by Jesus. That law of marriage which says it's between man and woman is an eternal law which applies to all places at all times because there's no context that can be removed.

Thanks... the study part isn't as important desu, I'm looking for a Catholic Bible that's not gender neutral or DR translation, im willing to compromise on the study part but I really like the RSV, Knox too but it's a bit too dynamic. Any good editions of the RSVCE or RSVCE2 that are cheap? I really don't want a study Bible too much as I'll mainly be using it for lectio divina and the like

lmao, Abraham is such a fucking rhetor.

Genesis 18:20 - 18:33

And the LORD said, Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous;

I will go down now, and see whether they have done altogether according to the cry of it, which is come unto me; and if not, I will know.

And the men turned their faces from thence, and went toward Sodom: but Abraham stood yet before the LORD

And Abraham drew near, and said, Wilt thou also destroy the righteous with the wicked?

Peradventure there be fifty righteous within the city: wilt thou also destroy and not spare the place for the fifty righteous that are therein?

That be far from thee to do after this manner, to slay the righteous with the wicked: and that the righteous should be as the wicked, that be far from thee: Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?

And the LORD said, If I find in Sodom fifty righteous within the city, then I will spare all the place for their sakes.

And Abraham answered and said, Behold now, I have taken upon me to speak unto the Lord, which am but dust and ashes:

Peradventure there shall lack five of the fifty righteous: wilt thou destroy all the city for lack of five? And he said, If I find there forty and five, I will not destroy it.

And he spake unto him yet again, and said, Peradventure there shall be forty found there. And he said, I will not do it for forty's sake.

And he said unto him, Oh let not the Lord be angry, and I will speak: Peradventure there shall be thirty found there. And he said, I will not do it, if I find thirty there.

And he said, Behold now, I have taken upon me to speak unto the Lord: Peradventure there shall be twenty found there. And he said, I will not destroy it for twenty's sake.

And he said, Oh let not the Lord be angry, and I will speak yet but this once: Peradventure ten shall be found there. And he said, I will not destroy it for ten's sake.

And the LORD went his way, as soon as he had left communing with Abraham: and Abraham returned unto his place.

What does that have to do with anything? Leviticus 20:13 says to stone homosexuals/those who engage in such behaviors. What does "hypocrisy" have to do with it? The only hypocrisy is to label homosexuality a sin to God, be very loud and upfront over this fact, and not follow through on punishing them like your same God has told you to. If YHWH is Jesus's father, you should be listening to the former.

Do you have scriptural basis for this lack of need to follow the Old Testament? Or anything which definitively proves you are allowed to simply ignore these laws? Seems convenient to be able to hold YHWH's disdain for gays, but not uphold his decreed punishments for their behavior.

>DFJ is the superior translation
please explain what DFJ is? google is not helping

I don't like it all. Not only is it missing some books, but even the ones that include the "apocrypha" are missing some sections of some like Daniel. There are some questionable translations in the KJV which can cause some issues, like Numbers 23:22 where it talks about there being unicorns. The Hebrew word the KJV translates as "unicorn" is re'em, which modern scholars have identified with an auroch, or a large horned cow that is now extinct. This is why modern translators render the word as "wild ox" instead.

depends what denomination you are. Personally I am a fan of the RSV, which is derived from the KJV. flow and literary merit are important as well as translation accuracy, I think KJV-based updates are generally a balance of both

>Do you have scriptural basis for this lack of need to follow the Old Testament?
Not that guy, but I am a Christian. The book of Hebrews is a very in depth look at exactly that concept. So, yes there is scriptural basis. But it's not like we can just demonstrate it to you in a sentence. Definitely read that book though (with Matthew Henry's or Adam Clarke's commentary when you need it) if you're genuinely interested.

I don't there is a 'prooftext' which says we have to pay attention to what laws means and how they apply. However we can see demonstrations of this interpretational approach in the interactions between Peter and Paul. At Antioch is when they were debating about pagans joining the newly formed Church and whether they should observe all laws of Moses. Peter originally said they gentiles didn't have to for reasons but later started to go back on what he originally preached, and Paul laid into him and eventually won out.

I started reading the NT recently. In Matthew J says as explicitly as possible that he's there only for Jews. I know of the whole 'the church is the new Israel' thing, but if that's the actual christian answer... I mean it's frankly quite stupid to try to spin that very clear sentence into meaning its exact opposite. What gives?

If you don't need commentary than the regular Ignatius bible might be a good choice. The leatherbound version is very well built, but be careful because they have two different versions which look almost identical. The other is just a New Testament/study bible.

Another one I have is this one which I use for hiking:

amazon.com/gp/product/0195288564

It's cloth bound and small yet readable. It's a much darker blue than what they show on Amazon.

Attached: Untitled.png (481x361, 377K)

I'll look into it. Why did the RCC kill so many gays then, throughout it's history? Was it somehow acceptable to kill them then, but no longer is now? When, scripturally, was this change mandated?

How do you know, then, what applies and what does not? Subjective human judgement?

Why do people take this book seriously when it claims to be infallible truth but has numerous inconsistencies?

Some are obvious and are less so. I don't rely on myself to judge these things, I have 2000 years of interpretive tradition. I'm not aware of any crusade against gays but the Church is filled with lots of bad people who did things that weren't right, but that doesn't mean it's what the Church taught.

It, along with the other Abrahamic scriptures, taps into and manipulates human psychology extremely well, thereby producing crops of followers quite easily by doing so. It also has tremendous literary value, influencing all art and language since it, though geniuses like Shakespeare have long superceded it in that regard (a funny fact, since he was bisexual).

thoughts on Knox translation?

If God is omnipotent then why (in Exodus 4) does he need to ask Moses wtf Moses is holding (spoilers: it's a staff, a very common and self-explanatory thing, if you understand even the first thing about humans).

loaded question
give an example of a inconsistency, and try googling it before you bother asking about it

for literary merit, yes
for accuracy no. nkjv, nasb, and asv are all better

pls give scripture
hes asking rhetorically, like a magician about to do a trick.

Do you consider God's response in Job to be an adequate explanation of the question of evil, or just an attempt to get out in front of the detractors?

all the translations have misconstrued the underlying moral of the story tbqh
>every kick up the arse is a nudge forwards, I don't think the smarmy doomers of lit have the depth of character to appreciate this

Dormammu is a being that exists "beyond time."

Dormammu is vengeful.

Dormammu promises his followers eternal life. Reunion with Dormammu is a time of great tribulation and death. Not all are saved.

Dormammu is equated with "the One," which is seeking to return the Many to itself.

Dormammu may very well be a gnostic reading of the Neoplatonic philosophies that informed the New Testament. Given that Doctor Strange is standing in for Christ, and only spared the bitter cup of final death because of the Eye of Agamotto and a need to keep making money by selling stories:

How is Dormammu unalike to the Creator?

Attached: dormammu.jpg (1400x700, 609K)

I mean, I know this post isn't serious, but
>Creator

matthew 15,24 I have only come here for the lost sheep of Israel.

I mean just look at this outrageously stupid answer : gotquestions.org/lost-sheep-Israel.html. The guy literally quotes a verse that begins by 'do not' and then says that it's not a prohibition at all, etc. That level of cherry picking is pretty up there 2bqh.

The answer given here : thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/trevin-wax/why-did-jesus-say-he-came-only-for-israel/ is quite convincing though, but i'd like to know the historically correct christian stance on it.

>implying
Dormammu is described as being driven by hunger.

What does a hungry man do before he reaps a harvest? He sows. He creates so that he may consume. My post is very serious.

I feel like it's a test of the woman's faith

Lol, Jesus the son of God would just trash talk like that to get on some woman's nerves. Plus the same idea can be found a little earlier in Matthew when his sole public are the apostles.

thanks. best bible is the one youll read, im going with the Didache, feels like a good mix.

you seem to know your stuff, thoughts on cloud of unknowing and merton? really into raids on the unspeakable lately.

>undergo circumcision
t. Jew

thoughts?

Attached: a-course-in-miracles.jpg (400x426, 78K)

Hey OP why don't you ever talk about the Byzantine vs alexandrian text base? And why don't you explain why KJV isn't the best English translation?

Deceptive trash.

If those who lead you say to you, 'look, the Kingdom is in the sky,' then the birds will get there first. If they say 'it's in the ocean,' then the fish will get there first. But the Kingdom of God is within you and outside of you. Once you come to know yourselves, you will become known. And you will know that it is you who are the children of the living father.

Did dormamu create the heavens and the earth? Because that's significant

In Genesis the creator is described as a face hovering over the waters. Look at the pic again. And if Dormammu is the One, then yes definitely. Nothing else could have come before.

I looked into it and can accept the Gospels were written by those they are named for, but what about other books that are written by Anons, specially ones who claimed to be someone they were not? Why care what they say over any of the books that didn't get into the Bible? I want to believe but I have this problem. I don't know what to actually trust and follow. Specially since if it is true, then I'm sure there would have been deliberate attempts to corrupt the Bible.

You are saying god wants to eat us?
wat do

Leave it to a Jew to outbargain his heavenly father.

Is it absolutely necessary reading the old testament?

Attached: tenor.gif (220x220, 17K)

>Deceptive trash.
deceptive how?

This.

I heard Jordan B Peterson talking about a page he read the verses of the bible on, and each verse had comments with it of people that were discussing it.
Does anyone know of this page? I can't seem to find it

Ultimately you have to use your own judgment and reason to determine what is true for you;

even if you assent to a religious authority to tell you what to believe, you must have used your own judgment to decide that that religious authority is trustworthy.

If Jesus is real then hwo did he come back to life

Does God exist in a world without suffering? More concretely, suppose that I created a drug that generated a blissful, completely contented state in the mind without any harmful side-effects and without any diminishing return. This drug is cheap, and widely distributed and only needs to be taken once for it to have a permanent effect. It does not otherwise hinder a person's cognitive abilities.

In such a world, what would be the place of God? Do you think that anyone would continue to believe in God in such a world?

I apologize if this comes off facetious or ironic, I'm being truly sincere. What do you think?

Do the Jesuits have any specific editions/translations that differ?

Also, as a Catholic, is the Gideon version best?

Is there a bible edition with all the bullshit laws and other filler books cut out? I want the story parts only.

Attached: advancedbible.jpg (500x500, 88K)