It's not even that hard you pseuds

It's not even that hard you pseuds

Attached: JoyceUlysses2.jpg (444x562, 125K)

Read past the first chapter now

I'm reading it for the first time rn, and I find I'm enjoy it so much more when I'm sleepy and my mind is tired. When my mind is fresh I'm always intimidated by the length and also so concerned about making the most of it and absorbing all the references and shit
It is actually a hilarious book tho

What's everyones fav chapter? Let's get a discussion going lads

There’s a difference between reading a book for pleasure and scholarly exegesis. Please learn that difference.

keep talking baby and maybe it will be ;)

Can someone please discuss the book instead of memeing?

>What's everyones fav chapter?
Nausicaa, easily. Just as beautiful as it is funny.

Sirens.

I agree. It's not "hard" unless you read it with the intent to "get" every reference and nod in the text. I've read it five or six times and I still don't understand every little part of it, and that's fine. Oxen of the Sun alone could easily take up a year for me if I really wanted to pursue every reference.

Attached: DSCF5678.jpg (1001x667, 286K)

Awesome, can't wait to get there. At Cyclops at the moment

How did you feel about the last three chapters? Liked it?

Did sirens immediately stand out to you, or did it evolve to become your favorite over your many reads?

I think I was about halfway through it before it dawned on me how musical it was. So I started over and paid more attention and loved it.

Did you also fart along with Bloom?

I'd say Nausicaa and penelope desu, grand fucking closing chapter

First time through you should really use a companion book, I prefer 'The New Bloomsday Book'. You really miss out on a lot of shit if you don't -- none of us lived in Dublin at the turn of the 20th century.

Proteus for me. Most of the time Stephen is just a typical Yea Forums denizen, rescued only in hindsight by his author, but in Proteus Stephen really comes into his own—'read the signature of all things' stands out to me

Just read it with the annotated version; it will explain all the references.

What kind of references does the Bloomsday Book clear up, though? Do I need to know exactly which church they're talking about if I'm already having a blast?

sirens...that masturbation scene with fireworks and gimp legs spread. beautiful.

Can someone post the Ulysses Reading chart again, I can't remember if it's the illiad or the odyssey I need to read

Loving the love for Nausicaa here. I see it as a very moving part of the book. Bloom has obviously not been having the most uplifting day and the events of Cyclops, classic social alienation followed by outright violent hostility, have thoroughly demoralized him. Tired and sad, he regresses into a syrupy state of mind. Some people interpret the sappy style as being a look inside Gertie's head but I couldn't disagree more, I think it is entirely Bloom, already broken down and fully accepting the temptation to sticky sentimentality upon seeing Gertie. His wife is cucking him and he looks back with longing on youthful love and succumbs to idealizing Gertie in his head. I used the word "sticky" and it really does make sense that he jacks himself off in this scene because he has entered into a totally self-indulgent, masturbatory state of mind where he just wants to think of everything as a young person's romance novel and retreat into escapism.

I love the ending too. A bit of autistic deciphering- there was apparently in Irish culture a sort of "love me love me not" type thing with cuckoo birds. The amount of times it cuckooed was how many years you'd have to wait for your love. Gertie gets nine which we could take literally but keeping in mind Joyce knew his numerology and nine is the number of eternity, it implies we will wait forever before getting that sappy, unreal love we all desire. And of course Bloom is a "cuck"oo but that's more obvious. Love this book to death.

*have been the final nail in the coffin to thoroughly demoralize him

ulysses is based on the odyssey, but the odyssey is a sequel of sorts to the iliad - not that you have to read it to enjoy the odyssey, it just helps

Oh okay thanks!

Never seen the chart of which you speak, but I tell my students to make sure they have a decent understanding of Shakespeare (particularly Hamlet) and the Bible, and at least a Cliff's Notes-level grasp of the Odyssey.

Reason I ended up reading Boheme

>Ulysses

Attached: ulysses.jpg (720x696, 56K)

How would Yea Forums know, having not read one single book since compulsory reading in high school

Sirens or Hades.
Hades because of its passages discussing Bloom and his remembrance of his father's suicide and his issues with his son dying. Makes him feel really human and is one of the most visceral chapters in the book.

Sirens because it uses language beautifully to express the story throughout. The fart jokes in this one are also really great.

I think it goes the other way, I think parts of Ulysses are introductions to those other parts. especially stephen's theory is a great introduction to Shakespeare as an earthly human rather than as the transcendent poet

Favorite ghibli movie

>Tired pepe

Attached: bleeding edge.jpg (600x600, 58K)

no one on this board has ever read it

is my reader broken?

Attached: ulysses.jpg (825x746, 190K)