It feels like the internet fried my brain

It feels like the internet fried my brain
Which BOOKs can cure my strong internet addiction?
Seriously used to read a lot as a child but now it seems that I can even get past few pages without my mind wandering off

Attached: 300px-Carl_Spitzweg_021.jpg (300x563, 44K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=U2EVZgL1MJ4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You don't need a book you need to stop using the internet as much. You have to build up your attention span.

t. relapsed and now can barely read five pages at a time

Infinite Jest

no book. discipline is a habit. you can't build habits without doing them. tell yourself no or be forever doomed.

Answering from experience: you need to sell your computer and get a shitty one. Get rid of your smartphone and buy a flip phone. Then, every time you read, visualize what you read as vividly as possible.

Start slow and don't get frustrated. You should expect results in six months to a year.

The problem is I have few days where I’m pretty productive and manage to get something done but then I want to check out something on the internet/YouTube I go on a 8h internet surfing spree and just browse useless stuff on the internet - it’s like I’m a zombie who clicks link after link, barley remebering anything
Because of these sprees I bottled several important exams and now in serious trouble
It’s easier said than done, I seriously think I have an internet addiction disorder and this tied with my low self discipline is really a recipe for disaster
Thinking about getting some old thinkpad or old gen MacBook Air - the problem is my brain constantly tries to rationalise the internet use like you will need this and that for your course so don’t think about cutting off your access
It’s pretty bizarre

you're doomed

I’ve got bad news for you buddy. You need to get that depression checked out.

You have to physically separate yourself from your devices. Tell a family member about your problem and have them hold you accountable. Seriously, if you don’t get this under control you’re going to fuck yourself hardcore. Don’t be like me. Treat it like a real addiction, because it is.

Find another room/place where you can go and study. Don’t bring your phone and make sure it doesn’t have distractions. Go there and concentrate. If you absolutely need a laptop to work, download what you need and then go where there’s no internet. make sure you don’t have any kind of game or something that’ll distract you

Also do meditation.

I’m already looking for possible help but my concern is that my addiction to the net is a pretty new phenomena and that the professional therapists in my country might not be up to date with it and will dismiss me like my neurologist or the several help groups on my uni I talked to - they are all like it’s all in your head, just logg off hehe
Well as i mentioned it’s easier said than done i completely loose the sense of time when I’m online (got up at 10 am once and sat until 12 pm on the computer with the occasional bathroom and eating breaks)
I’m failing exams/projects/deadlines because weeks before the test I keep on browsing useless stuff instead of studying and I can’t get it in control I think going completely cold turkey and cutting of internet for several months is my only solution but the problem is some study related stuff is online

no, they're right. it's not some new-age too-new-for-antiquited-out-of-touch-physicians-to-know-about shit. you're literally just addicted to the internet and you're too weak to stop using it. that's it. it's your fault and you're trying to rationalize your addiction in every way possible, as an addict would do. it's not easy to overcome an addiction but the only way to do it is to have some discipline. nobody can fix you but yourself. have the discipline to do research without opening Yea Forums, or don't. you're just making excuses

While not discounting the value of someone who knows a lot about internet addiction, it is not strictly necessary. If indeed you are depressed or suffer from seriously deteriorated mental health then that's probably very much the reason you developed these addictions and also why you're now struggling so much to kick them. Focusing so much on the internet addiction while the prospect of literally dying actually feels preferable to what you're going through now and your life absolutely sucks would be just treating the symptom

>Just be disciplined
>Just stop making excuses
>Just go outside and be happy :^)

Attached: 1232137777453.jpg (548x767, 40K)

i had your problem. in ways i still do but it’s gotten much better. smoke a bowl and realize that what you browse on the internet is truly inherently unenjoyable. at the end of the day it’s just a distraction from existing. everything on youtube is stupid and banal, and everything else you’re just consuming the dumb opinions of random people. that’s what the internet is in essence - consumption of either boring content or others people’s opinions. once you can take a step back and realize how worthless it all is, other things like books and being outside begin to seem more appealing. i am only scratching the surface of how to overcome addiction to the internet but this is how i started to change.

you're the addict, not me. if you truly wanted to improve yourself you would. the internet is not heroin, there's no physical dependence that you need a doc to ween you off. you're just a weak-willed bitch who dreams of a better self. keep dreaming instead of doing, and be glad you don't have an addiction that could kill you because it would with your apparent lack of discipline. you're a poser. you make up the person you want to be in your head and then act like there are external forces preventing you from being him, when in reality it's just you. i'd tell you to go fuck yourself, but you already have.

Im not the one who posted the meme wojak
Nevertheless I agree that I keep on trying to rationalise my addiction in every possible way and I’m to blame for all the consequences that came with the excessive use
I’m just trying to find a way in order to avoid relapses after some days of abstinence, it’s clearly visible when I’m pretty uncomfortable on the second day of going cold turkey, like how slowly and boring everything is and the massive stimulation which I got from surfing is missing
Im asking for some insight from anons who actually managed overcome the problem I have right now because those relapses usually start a vicious cycle where I stay up late and neglect all my duties
The content is indeed very shallow and not informative but somehow my brain wants more and more - especially shitty YouTube videos about politics/entertainment/ even those ridiculous click bait ones with millions of views
Might be because of the low self discipline I have where my brain prefers pathological short term gratification instead of focusing on important problem solving task that move me forward in life

I’ve been where you are and I really recommend looking into treatment for depression. If everything else in life is that boring and unstimulating for you, that could be a sign that there’s more going on than just the addiction. Inability to concentrate, loss of interest etc are symptoms of depression. Once I went to therapy and went on paxil it helped with my internet addiction a lot.

I also recommend the book addiction, procrastination, and laziness by roman gelprin. Completely changed the way I approach the problem.

Basically, “willpower” isn’t really a thing that exists. Your brain decides what to do based on how much pleasure it thinks it’s going to get vs how much pain it thinks it’ll get. Everything is just an equation of chemicals in your brain. Homework sucks, but does the anxiety of failing suck more? How your brain answers this determines when and if you’ll do the work.

Rather than looking at it in terms of “just putting your nose to the grindstone,” think of your brain like a retarded puppy that you have to train. It really is, in a sense. All those dopamine/cortisol/seratonin/adrenaline/whatever the fuck else systems in your brain aren’t something you can directly control. You can’t just release dopamine on command when you’re doing something you should be doing. all that shit is part of your lizard brain physiological systems that evolved millions of years ago.

But... you can train your brain to respond in different ways. When you think about going online, focus on all the negative aspects. The anxiety about slacking off and bad grades, the discomfort, the feeling of inadequacy, the pointlessness. Focus your mind on it and associate it so your brain responds to the idea with dismay and irritation. On the other hand, focus only on the positives of what you should do. Think about what interests you about the subject, imagine yourself having completed it all and showing off your new knowledge to people and seeming smart (seriously, daydreaming about the benefits of completing things works for me), think about how you like challenges, etc. Actually get your brain to respond to the idea with excitement.

I mean really treat yourself like a puppy that needs to be trained. The reward and motivation centers in your brain literally are not the same thing as the rational, conscious part of your brain you call “I”. You have to treat it like a thing outside you that you have to get to do what you want.

This is a piece of it, of course. Other things like habit forming, removing distractions, etc play into it as well.

You need to rip the WiFi card out of your laptop (or get a computer repair shop to do it for you) and buy a USB WiFi adapter. Put it in a timer lock box (Amazon) when you need to focus.

> I also recommend the book addiction, procrastination, and laziness by roman gelprin.

Got a link? It's not on libgen.

Carl Spitzweg is a phenomenal painter

Attached: carl-spitzweg-der-schmetterlingsfanger-motionage-art-and-design--ahmet-asar.jpg (802x900, 230K)

Limit computer useage to 1 hour a day.

You may seriously have ADD.

How come I can read for hours all these shitposts, yet I can't read a book for 6 hours? After all it's still reading, there are barely any images and no sounds.

Attached: i am in love.png (742x331, 483K)

It’s on amazon for cheap

It takes no mental effort to read shitposts

I want to quit the internet, but my web addiction is the only thing stopping me becoming a pseudo-mystic weirdo.

sounds like a reason for, not against

What other hobbies do you guys have? I wouldn't mind giving up some of the time I spend on the internet, but I don't know what else to do with that time. Reading is good in moderation, but too much of it can fry the ability to think for yourself (not to mention the level of deep escapism that is involved with reading stories all day - philosophy is spared in this regard though). I already lift and make music. What else is there to do, Yea Forums, better than accessing nearly all of the combined knowledge of humanity in one place?

>Once I went to therapy and went on paxil it helped with my internet addiction a lot
I was sceptical before but now Im seriously considering to seek a therapist, the root of most addictions might be similar so the medium doesnt matter that much. My concern was just that internet is a necessity in most aspects of the modern life and that someone who doesnt know much about this topic might misundersood me ... or maybe it was again my brain just trying to rationalise everything.

>Homework sucks, but does the anxiety of failing suck more? How your brain answers this determines when and if you’ll do the work.
Well the problem now is that I go into a indifferent mode when faced with pressure. Like when I have an important test in a week and I still havent managed to go through the material I kind of tell myself well you failed last time so wont even matter that much now. Its pretty bizarre, instead of clenching my teeth together and trying to save the already difficult situation, I would rather take the easy way and just browse useless stuff all day long. I somehow dont care about the negative consequences anymore and just willingfully accept it - destroying myself in the process
Once I wanted to do an allnighter and pumped myself up with caffeine, guess what I was doing all night long instead of studying

>Think about what interests you about the subject, imagine yourself having completed it all and showing off your new knowledge to people and seeming smart
There was one classmate who had similar problems (maybe not as severe as mine) and he mentioned that his solution was tricking his brain into thinking that studying is fun. Also he said that spending one month in his rural hometown where was very limited access/signal seemed to play a major role in his change.

>rip wifi card out
done this on my pc - was using my laptop instead and looks like I have to remove it there too. This ridicoulous thought of not being able to look something up when Im on the go has too often popped up and stopped me from it.

Maybe in the 1600s, but not now.

Try to save this semester/quarter and at least pass your classes, but whatever you do DO NOT try to continue another semester if you fail. Just don’t register, and don’t come back until you’re sure you’re ready. It’ll only get worse if you don’t fix it. It’s possible to recover from a bad semester but if you flunk out it’s gg and welcome to shit dead end jobs. Better to put things on hold for a semester

bro do you expect some kind of wonder drug or miracle mantra to fix everything? Psychiatry is largely jewish bullshit. The only person who can fix you is yourself

I suffer from the same thing as you, OP. As soon as I start browsing the internet I lose track of time and any resemblance of self control goes out the window. I once managed to stay away from the internet for 7 days, and I actually started to feel a lot better during that time, yet there was always this nagging voice inside my head that told me to just have a quick peek at my favourite sites, and in the end I just gave in.

Did you it?

OP your problem is you can’t balance your responsibilities with your internet usage. Don’t pathologise it into an addiction, recognise that you’re not coping with your real life responsibilities (fear of failure, denial, isolated from support). It won’t change if you cut yourself off from the internet because you’ll still be unable to handle those responsibilities with any effectiveness.

Don’t try to motivate yourself through fear, or by removing distractions and waiting for responsibilities to fill the void. Whatever you’re studying, you’re in the middle of a once in your lifetime opportunity, and the internet will be there forever. Don’t try and find a reason why what you want to be doing is more important, or more motivating, because right now you’re not responding to shit like that. You’re shitposting because you’re sad, and the sadness is what’s getting in the way of your life.

Only the best wishes to you, I was in a very similar position and, even though anything of relevance has been pointed out and there is nothing for me to contribute, I came to say that you can do it and I believe in you reclaiming your love for literature. God bless your soul

go be out in nature. read thoreau if you have any questions

Conan, and his many adventures!

youtube.com/watch?v=U2EVZgL1MJ4

Attached: frank_frazetta_conanthebuccaneer.jpg (1052x1200, 333K)