Is Paradise Lost canon?

Is Paradise Lost canon?

Attached: 915bZ41fJxL.jpg (1000x1550, 551K)

The Western canon, yes

Absolutely.
One of the best pieces of English Literature.

only the unedited original 1667 version as for annotations all of them are pretty good.

(dont get anyone that changes the direct text only real niqqas can read middle english now-a-days)

Yes, to judge if a writer is canonical all you have to do is look to see if their texts influenced later great canonical writers. Milton's figure of Satan is the entire basis of the philosophy of J. S. Mill, for example.

Paradise Lost is early modern English. Boasting that you can read English that's more recent than Shakespeare is pretty pathetic.

I was not bragging about reading Paradise Lost I was suggesting OP read the unedited text to understand older writings better and the fact that Milton used alot of techniques that required reading aloud. People like you make me realise the state of this sub.
>user ask for advice
>give advice
>(you) flaming tardrage that your thoughts most likely don't aline with mine
>google Milton
>google Shakespeare just to be sure on the dates
>type upset reply that nobody cares about and makes you seem undeniable pretentious
>lol
sad kid

>Writing all that shit
>Implying I'm the one who's mad
>Projecting your lack of historical knowledge
>Calling this board a sub
You're welcome to return to Reddit, where retards like you belong

What an insufferable memeing faggot
>sub
stay in reddit, "real nigga".

>the state of this sub
I can't believe this isn't bait

>sub

Attached: 1547776543215.jpg (612x612, 20K)

Attached: kek.png (632x569, 463K)

Will I be able to appreciate it even if I'm a complete poetrylet?

to add to this philistine's question, are there any must-reads before tackling Paradise Lost?

You've outed yourself as a high schooler with some major pretenses.

Also lol sub, go back where you came from nobody's gonna upvote you here faggot

Just Genesis really

Homer
Virgil
Dante

Paradise lost is roundly not early modern english. Shakespeare is your standard early modern and paradise lost is a good 150 years after him.

If you can recognize iambic pentameter you're fine, though maybe get a footnoted version or something.

*50 years of course, but the point stands

You should have a good understanding of Ovid and the Old Testament if you really want to enjoy it, but you can read it with a supplementary text and get a similar understanding.

Any particular edition you recommend?

its basically early modern english in that its very similar. just like lase 60's english is very similar to today's.

I've read the Pilgrim’s progress and Divine Comedy, is that enough?

>this sub

Attached: 1546044052207.jpg (500x492, 155K)

Best fanfiction ever written.

Attached: 1494896602197.gif (200x150, 2.91M)