What stories have given you that ‘spine chill’ effect or that ‘electric feel’ Yea Forums?

What stories have given you that ‘spine chill’ effect or that ‘electric feel’ Yea Forums?

Attached: D67F0172-3ECE-4C5B-B9CE-04B1BBE82421.jpg (400x400, 130K)

I get the feeling of frisson more with music, but if you’re talking about having a gut-punch emotional reaction, I’d say a few moments in Of Human Bondage (especially when Philip is in love with that dumb lazy bitch, but don’t get me started). Also, a YA series by Charlie Higson called The Enemy that I had halfway finished and decided to see if it held-up to my great interest when I was younger. Turns out it’s an incredible read and I’m almost finished with the final book. It’s interesting to see how kids have to grow up so quickly yet still retain childish qualities, I like how the author isn’t afraid to subtly add class and race differences and how they might change interactions, it’s cool to get to know London (I’m the average un-traveled American), and the graphic nature of the series is surprising considering the amount of detailed violence that is a constant in every book. Lots of character deaths that always hit you hard because you’ve connected with the characters and there are plenty of smart plot twists that shock you. I’ll probably think of more tomorrow.

“And so it did,” the last lines of the part in TBK about Zossima’s brother

Demian, House of Leaves, Grendel

One Hundred Years Of Solitude, the ending is unmatchable.

this
also pedro paramo

This
Also Borges' short story "The Circular Ruins" ending. Some others too, like "The Immortal", but not so much

The Penal Colony by Kafka. Can't say why exactly, it just did. Also theodens part in the ride of the Rohirrim.

Kafka

Bump. Adding these stories to a reading list..

Make a chart when you're done, my dude!

>all along the western front
>people line up to receive

Attached: at last.jpg (577x534, 63K)

The last 50 pages of Nabokov's invitation to a beheading.

axolotl by julio cortazar

I only came into this thread to make an Oracle Spectacular reference.

I still remember going to Fry's Electronics with one of my friends so she could cop it on vinyl. Then sitting around at her place listening to it.

Those were much better times, mon frère.

Pedro Paramo was amazing. Absolutely beautiful, in the most sinister and evil of ways. I haven't seen it mentioned here a lot surprisingly.

That story by Poe in which someone tries to kill an old man.

The ending of One Hundred Years of Solitude.

I looked it up and I do not understand.

no book can do that, except to autists

Not any particlar stories but the last paragraph of the Oxen of the Sun chapter has done that for me twice.

Nothing else has.
Here it is:

"Come on, you winefizzling, ginsizzling, booseguzzling existences! Come on, you dog-gone, bullnecked, beetlebrowed, hogjowled, peanutbrained, weaseleyed fourflushers, false alarms and excess baggage! Come on, you triple extract of infamy! Alexander J. Christ Dowie, that's yanked to glory most half this planet from 'Frisco Beach to Vladivostok. The Deity ain't no nickel dime bumshow. I put it to you that he's on the square and a corking fine business proposition. He's the grandest thing yet and don't you forget it. Shout salvation in king Jesus. You'll need to rise precious early, you sinner there, if you want to diddle the Almighty God. Pflaaaap! Not half. He's got a coughmixture with a punch in it for you, my friend, in his backpocket. Just you try it on!"

Cathedral by Raymond Carver. The Bible.

The endings of Hemingway's novels. A Farewell to Arms in particular. He wrote 63 different endings for that novel and he chose the perfect one indeed.

>MGMT