PKD

Other than Ubik, DADOES, VALIS, and A Scanner Darkly what are Dick's best works?

Attached: pkd.jpg (211x239, 6K)

he's a consistently good author, most of his stuff is good
The Man in the High Castle is considered good but personally I think the best aside from Androids, Ubik and Scanner (never read VALIS or the sequels) is The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch - pretty standard PKD dreamy-scifi fare but if you like him as an author you should probably enjoy it

Attached: TheThreeStigmataOfPalmerEldritch(1stEd).jpg (255x390, 17K)

Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch

VALIS is wild, man. Would recommend.

A Scanner Darkly is my personal favorite, I think man in the high castle is overrated, good, just overrated. Currently trying to read through all his works using this chart and i have no complaints. Some argue to go in chronological order as his writing become more abstract so later works will make more sense.

Attached: 1543010489635.jpg (1280x720, 188K)

Dick hasn't disappointed yet and is probably may favorite author overall so I believe you
he was just so prolific it's hard to find the time to read all of his stuff
also read a dozen or so short stories by him, most of which are excellent
most memorable was Beyond Lies the Wub which I'm not sure how well is known - highly ironic and almost comedic story but enjoyable in its on right

Never heard of the divine invasion before....what's it about?

Flow my tears the policeman said is pretty good.

The Divine Invasion

Sequel to Valis, with freaking Yahwe and the Holy Spirit returning to earth

I prefer dick's early to mid-career novels over the later Valis type stuff. Besides Ubik and A Scanner Darkly I enjoyed Now Wait For Last Year, a Maze of Death, and Martian Time-Slip.

he ain't no tolstoy when it comes to writing, but he is still a far better writer than what you would expect of sub genre writer.

Lies Inc. if you want one of the best drug trips ever written.

I'd also recommend the Simulacra. I just like it.

Minority Report

Don’t down play him, he was incredibly talented

But its true, PKD was an ideas guy not really known for his dialogue or complicated characters.

zoob of endko.

The thought, theoretical as it was, chilled him as he involuntarily, without the possibility of evasion, listened to the curious mixture of nonsense and—meaning. Of the highest order.
“. . . I think, though, I see why Zoobko lards, butters, marginates and otherwise fattens up the word ‘spore’ into the rather sinister male spore slogan. Their house brochure in Move-E 3-D kul-R is directed (heh-heh) at women consumers, to fumble lewdly a metaphor, ahem, no offense meant (gak). More fully articulated, it would read, ‘The male spore, my dears, is as we well know tireless in its half-crazed struggle—against all sanity and moral restraint— to reach the female egg. That’s the way men are. Right? We all realize it. Give a male (sic) spore half an inch and he’ll take seventy-two-and-a-sixth miles. BE PREPARED! ALWAYS READY! A HUGE, SLIMY, SLANT-EYED YELLOW-SKINNED MALE SPORE MAY BE WATCHING YOU THIS VERY MINUTE! And, considering his almost demonic ability to wiggle for miles upon miles, you may at this moment be in dire, severe danger! To quote Dry-den: ‘The trumpet’s loud clamor doth call us to arms,’ etc. (And don’t forget, ladies, the handsome prize awarded yearly by Zoobko Products, Incorporated for the greatest number of dead male (sic) spores mailed (pun) to our Callisto factory in an old Irish linen pillow case, attesting to (one) your tenacity in balking the evil damned things and (two) the fact that you’re buying our lather-like goo in one-hundred-pound squirt cans. Also remember: if you are unable to adequately prepare yourself with a generous, expensive portion of Zoobko patented goo in the proper place, ahem, in advance of marital lawful pawing, then merely squirt the spray can with nozzle directed directly into the grimacing fungiform’s ugly face as it hovers six feet high in the air above you. Best range—”
“Best range,” Gregory Gloch said aloud, against the din of the obsessive noise in his ears, “approximately two inches.”
“—‘two inches,’ ” the tinny, mechanical racket reeled off, accompanying him, “ ‘from his eyes. Zoobko’s patented goo is not only—’ ”
“—‘a top-drawer killer of male spores,’ ” Gloch murmured, “ ‘but it also blasts the tear-ducts out of existence. Too bad, fella.’ ” End brochure, he thought. End monolog. End sex. End of Zoobko, or zoob of Endko. Is this an ad or a contemplation of a squandered life? Check one. I know this discourse, he thought. By heart. Why? How? It’s as if, he thought, I said it; as if it’s happening inside my brain—not coming to me from the outside. What does this mean? I have to know.

martian time-slip is really good and not mentioned as much as the more famous ones

Toss in Voices from the Street for some easy reading.

I like the stories but his dogshit grammar distracts me.

shitstained prose. but I still like him.

Everything since (and including) man in the high castle is usually good. His 50’s novels are hit and miss.

Galactic Pot Healer is my favorite pre Do Androids Dream off Electric Sheep novel. Probably my favorite ending in any of his books.

This

his short stories are great too. off the top of my head I remember 'are we there yet?' and 'captured market'

The Exegesis of Philip K. Dick

it's probably my favorite

>shitstained prose
elaborate

fpbp
>12764614
spbp

In fact it the opinion that The Man in the High Castle is overrated. I like it as much as the other works I've read by him. It's simpler and more straightforward but that's a part of its charm.

*In fact the opinion that The Man in the High Castle is overrated is pretty common

>Galactic Pot Healer
Possibly my favorite book of his. The last line is God-tier.

Is it fair to call his writing genre fiction though? I mean the vast bulk of his works do have to do with some element of science fiction/metaphysics/etc but when I think PKD I don't think genre writer at all.

Attached: spoop.png (1140x755, 1.34M)

haha my first PKD was Valis

seconded, maybe my favourite Dick
gotta agree with this - he makes it look easy

Deus Irae is pretty weird.

'Confessions of a Crap Artist' isn't his most mind bending or reality stretching, but it definitely portrays what must be the daily struggles between /pol/ & /x/ers and their families and society.

I've taken my fair share of Dicks... sometimes jumping straight from one to the next, sometimes even doubling up.

I thought OPs pic was a pic of Lenin edited over a pic of zizek.