Would anyone else consider MC Ride, lyrically, the "Pynchon/Joyce of hip hop", in terms of complexity, abstraction, etc...

Would anyone else consider MC Ride, lyrically, the "Pynchon/Joyce of hip hop", in terms of complexity, abstraction, etc? Just something I have been thinking about recently.

Attached: dg-5.jpg (1400x933, 367K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JWC_Scvdgw8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

nah those are just three things you like

Ride is an amazing frontman and I like his obtuse lyrics but he’s a far cry from anything new. He’s drawing from a long line of rock musicians some of whom are much more abstract than Ride. This is the opinion of a pleb and someone who probably knows very little of music.

Is this a troll?

Fuck off and back to Yea Forums with your shit music

I don't understand why DG is considered avant garde. I listen to them and the i.l.y.s so I'm not hating but there's plenty of groups that do their schtick but aren't as famous.

It's about par for the course on this board

ur not a pleb. i like you user

Cedric Bixler-Zavala is the one and only Pynchon of music

Attached: 600x600bf.png (600x600, 518K)

nah those are just two things you like

I am not saying DG instrumentally is "avant-garde." This is coming from a guy who is really into european free jazz/free improv/noise/whatever. I am just saying lyrically who would be his doppelganger in an author/writer sense.

yeah, probably, haha

another boring rap thing

Attached: bored.jpg (304x302, 14K)

Some lyrics are great, alot is just trash though. I really love beware. Also very curious about stefans beliefs/messages in songs. For eg in Beware Stefan seems to believe in an existance of gods but despises following them on bended knee. He instead seems to follow the god internally within himself. As he has said in pitchfork interview, he no longer looks to physical reality for inspiration, rather he looks inside his gut (inside himself-to the gods within). To my knowledge the god he has found ( or the god that has found him- read jung) has similarities to the islamic god. Interestly he also has the symbol of islam tattood on his arm.

>he's black and has a microphone so its rap

dumb boomer.

Also he got that muslim beard

beat poetry and the "New York School"
symbolism and surrealism

>he’s a far cry from anything new. He’s drawing from a long line of rock musicians some of whom are much more abstract than Ride
can you name those if they even exist?

He’s got symbols for different things all over his body, I don’t know if I’d single out the islam one.

I could see that definitely. I am almost nearly 100% certain that Stefan is into black magick/the occult also. Just read the lyrics to "You Might Think He Loves You..."

Not him but if we're to take bands - since not always does the vocalist do the lyrics - who fulfilled the niche that Ride does
>Swans
>Current 93
>Throbbing Gristle
>Coil
>Suicide (a VERY clear influence)
>The Fall
>Half Man Half Biscuit
>Ian Dury
>a lot of the more critically lauded punk bands but specifically Sex Pistols et al
>Richard Hell and the Voidoids
>early Sonic Youth
>Sun City Girls
>early Talking Heads
>Lou Reed
>Whitehouse (another big influence)
>Saul Williams (List of Demands sounds just like a proto death grips)
>arguably Chumbawamba
Even among rappers I see a lot of Blowfly in him

Nope. The Pynchon of music would be this gentleman, produced by Frank Zappa, no less.

youtube.com/watch?v=JWC_Scvdgw8

Nigga do you really think being into magick is so fucking obscure that you have to ponder, obviously Ride (and the other guys at DxGx) are at least aware of Spare, chaos magick and shit like that.
Also, this really isn't the cabal you make out to be, fucking Robin Williams has a occultist-themed CD.
Nah mate while I do agree that DxGx is just a good band and not the redeemers of music some guys make them out to be, you can't just say every band with edgy and kinda abstract lyrics are similar to them.
Out of your list, I would only give C93 / Throbbing Gristle (and that whole clique) and Suicide as clearly in the same tradition as DxGx, both lirically and musically.

Also, the Pynchon of music would clearly be Raymond Scott, but you plebs are dullards who need lyrics to understand a song.

Father John Misty is DFW if you consider new sincerity a legitimate sensibility

Yeah, kinda
Also captain beefheart

You're probably one of the many litizens that doesn't even read

Attached: 5D3D8AB4D6844B6F9D866BC488A3A826.gif (463x698, 174K)

I get more of a Nick Land vibe from him

Attached: Death Grips Alt Milit.jpg (1200x1200, 343K)

Aesop Rock is the TS Eliot of hip hop, for what that's worth.

Gayest shit I've read all week.

it's true that there might be some acceleration philosophy mixed in with DG. Especially with the whole "cyperpunk" aesthetic.

damn, I'm inclined to agree.

>hip hop
kys this isn't Yea Forums