Who are some genuinely funny writers?

Who are some genuinely funny writers?

Comedy today is all shallow garbage like "what the fuck is going on at the fruit lerlups factory"
m.youtube.com/watch?v=FYDklo6ujko

Is ancient comedy actually funny, I want to actually laugh.

Attached: 0qzr4dmb30m21.jpg (431x767, 60K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/vS7rCnjK
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It legitimately pisses me off that Mullen is both hot and funny

I don't think funny people should be allowed to be attractive.

nicks blogs are good . i havent laughed in a couple months and im not sure why . like i listen to cumtown and i dont laugh . maybe its cuz my grandmas dying of alzheimers and im an ocean away

he has body dysmorphia or whatever so he doesnt realize he's hot which is why he's funny i suspect

Burton's translation of 1,001 Nights is funny as hell. You will literally laughed out loud.

I like Carl Hiaasen.

I used to live near him. At the time in the mid-00s he and his wife both drove Range Rovers. Take that for what you will.

Nick said he used to read The Last Psychiatrist

at least he's 5'6

Joseph Heller
David Wong

That makes a lot of sense actually

fruit lerlups

Sterne. Tristram Shandy is unironically hilarious.

why do you insist on ruining this board you fucking nigger?

Comedy has always been more about delivery than the joke itself. The type of people who watch stand up comedy are very dull and crave histrionic displays. If the man is yelling he's being funny, "noisy" comedy is also a key reason so many shows have laugh tracks. Loud=funny and you don't need to pay attention to any subtleties in body language, inflection or tone to get the intended comedic effect. It's not in good taste to make "the masses are dumb" claims but when it comes to the entertainment industry the shit rises to the top because it's both easier to make and the market seriously just doesn't "get" the joke otherwise.

Seconded
Also Confederacy of Dunces and At Swim-Two-Birds

Why do people like you seem to believe all stand up is the same and Dane cook teir?

Because it is, prove me wrong. The only alternative are pseudo-philosophers but they tend to be overly animated as well. Maybe some good comedians exist, but they certainly aren't popular. Stand up in itself is a bad medium for doing anything funny.

PG Wodehouse is a British humorist who writes some really funny novels. I really enjoy his prose as well. Always read him when I'm feeling down.

Shit I realized I didn't recommend any books. My favorite of his are The Code of the Woosters and Something Fresh. Both funny books.

DFW

The point of standup is more social-performative than artistic I would say, you're laughing in a group, it's cathartic. Underselling it maybe just doesnt work as well.

Your standards are too high, take the stick out of your ass and enjoy life a bit.

I found this hilarious

pastebin.com/vS7rCnjK

Call me a normie but Douglas Adams is a comedy god, hhg is the only book that made me laugh out loud

you want something funny you'll look up Sam Hyde making fun of an audience member while doing stand up

Is nobody going to mention Terry Pratchett?

Most of the funny moments that stick with me aren't from authors that try to be funny the entire time, they're just brief moments of respite in otherwise serious books. Pic related is an incredibly depressing book about alcoholism I finished a week ago, but there's a point where the protagonist and his friend are shitfaced, suddenly have religious epiphanies together, and run around a locked-up Catholic church at 2am banging on all the doors they can find while the priests inside stare at them. They get pissed off, kick a glass notice board in, and run away shouting about how much they hate Jesuits.

Attached: Havoc_Cover_2048x2048 (1).jpg (1277x2047, 710K)

>Is ancient comedy actually funny, I want to actually laugh.
Yes, totally. I decided to read all that was left from Aristophanes, and enjoyed every single play. Some are better than others but frankly there's not even one worth skipping.
When I tried to do the same with Terentius I quickly experienced boredom.
A few funny books that aren't always mentioned:
- short texts by Daniil Kharms
- Alfred Jarry's plays, mainly Ubu Roi but also the various sequels (just like Daniil Kharms' short texts, this is absurdism before existentialism - you could also add Ionesco)
- Bouvard and Pécuchet, Flaubert
- Beam me up, Scotty (a delirious gangsta-style novel by Michael Guinzburg, I can't even understand why it isn't widely read - calling it a masterpiece isn't overrated)

Pinch awn

this board is genuinely hilarious. just browse literally any thread and you're guaranteed to laugh. the amount of 15-25 somethings acting like they're experts who've studied things their whole lives when it's immediately obvious they've browsed some internet articles at best, it's the best.

Hunter S Thompson is funny but in his writing its usually in a cynical or factitious way.

Attached: goodbook.jpg (300x450, 23K)

Charles Portis

A Confederacy Of Dunces.

“A Midsummer Night’s Dream” by Shakespeare is pretty funny

>thou art as wise as thou art beautiful

Houellebecq.

Pynchon

Italo Svevo is pretty funny. His magnum opus, Zeno's Conscience, has some laugh-out-loud moments.

I also thought that Heller's Catch-22 was funny.

If your looking for funny plays, I think that Shakespeare's Twelfth Night is the funnies of all. I'd highly recommend it.

My grammar is so shit. Jesus

Is that a photo of what Sam Hyde looks like nowadays?