Does anyone on this board have a literary idol? Someone all of whose works you've read several times...

Does anyone on this board have a literary idol? Someone all of whose works you've read several times, in whom you have an autistic interest. Maybe you've read their biographies.

Attached: 1552167185428.jpg (625x466, 53K)

No.
Avoid it

yes
overcome it

I used to be really into Vonnegut until I went to college

William Gibson

Musil

Gabriel Garcia Márquez, ineed great

Dostoyevsky. Kierkegaard will be next

Salinger. I've read his Wikipedia page twice

goncalo taveras. the only legitimately good contemporary author

Still not read everything by him though, some of his non fiction is hard to get hold of

Attached: Beha-Henry-James.jpg (1120x630, 114K)

pynchon and hst, embarrassingly enough

i wrote my undergraduate thesis on thompson's obsessive self-mythologizing and the cult of pynchon's formation in response to his near-total absence of self-produced mythology and it turned into a 50 page wikihow article demonstrating two proven methods of getting lit cred because people think you're cool

Post it faget

Jim Morrison unironically

>In the old days, everything you took into the desert was a necessity and that was all you took.

Frank Herbert

Cervantes

Robert Heinlein

Orwell when I was a teen, all the books and essays. shit still holds up tho senpai desu

Ian Curtis

Bukowski.

Eugene O’Neill

you know his name

Attached: kierkegaard_eyes.jpg (162x54, 4K)

Dan Schneider

DFW

Is it a surprise to anyone that a woman requires the aid of Stuart Gilbert's guide to get through as difficult or profound a work as Ulysses? No doubt, she was "reading" this pathetic guide for the sole sake of being photographed with it, to show off to all of her shallow, mindless friends, alongside the shoes or makeup that she just bought. Women treat true literature like props; they are inescapably morally and spiritually bankrupt creatures, whoring out the only secular means of Man's salvation for the sake of just another self-centered attempt at image-creation. Devoid of the ability to pursue anything honestly, women approach the search for art and truth as if they were choosing a pretty dress to wear on their next idiotic outing -- should I wear this book today, or this one? Which one will bring me closer to my ultimate purpose in life, getting a dick shoved into the worthless hole that I spend my day obsessing over? Women have no notion of integrity, no notion of true brotherhood, no notion of absolute loyalty or love for another. They think only in henids; they have no notion of the sincere dedication to anything other than the acquisition of cock. They are unredeemable, mediocre beings.

i miss middle school

Are you in Chicago?

lmao

Melville a bit

I got really into Jorge Ibargüengoitia in my early 20s. That's about it.

Where you that woman that got to meet her idol Alton Brown who wasn't the friendliest causing her to go into a state of disillusionment ? Don't worry butterfly, I'm sure there's other cooks out there.

Theodor Adorno

not him, why do you ask?

No.
Not enough of a foodie to even watch any of his stuff.

Attached: Halina-Poświatowska.png (940x597, 1.18M)

who else but you, user?
(◡ ◡ )

Peter Matthiessen, in both life and art

Mark Danielewski

I met him this week and I almost cried when he walked in the room. House of Leaves basically changed the way I view writing.

Unironically DFW in my late teens and really early twenties. I was so inspired by him. I even made a clear homage to him in my first published story.

Now that I'm older and well read I'm a little more aware of his 'faults' and the things I don't like about him but still feel like I owe a fair bit to his writing

John Irving but only when I get kind of sad.

same

check out his sparknotes

will try to find it, actually have no idea where i saved it