Dezso Kosztolanyi

How well-regarded is he in Hungary?

Kornél Esti is a masterpiece, pure kino ending.

Attached: dezso.jpg (472x709, 33K)

Other urls found in this thread:

abebooks.com/Eclipse-Crescent-Moon-Gardonyi-Geza-Corvina/11470376421/bd
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Are you the guy who posted in that thread about the Australian writer who wrote Inland and learned Hungarian later in life?

I am indeed. I do not speak Hungarian, however.

Fair enough. I've never read this guy, though I am somewhat interested in reading that Hungarian novel with "crescent moon" in the title about the siege of some town in Hungary by the Turks. Also I have the novel "Inland" but I found it really hard going.

How did you obtain a copy? You must be Australian or Swedish, as those are the only countries in which it has been published (unless you can afford a $50 import).

What, of Inland? I just bought it from Amazon for the normal price.

What novels are similar to Skylark?

I've some toilet paper in my trash that's more lyrical and expressive than Skylark. Tbf I had beans for lunch, but still.

ethnic hungarian here.
yeah he's among the most respected authors in here, he would barely use words in his works, that derived from other languages, and due to that express himself very well.
also some of his works was like proto-slam poetry

>ethnic hungarian

You Szekeler?

You put your toilet paper in the trash, not the toilet itself?

Attached: cat vomit.jpg (480x360, 18K)

I prefer Skylark to Kornel Esti. I have Anna Edes waiting for me on my shelf, but I'm so lazy.

Should not be difficult to find.

abebooks.com/Eclipse-Crescent-Moon-Gardonyi-Geza-Corvina/11470376421/bd

That being said, I would not call it serious literature like Dezső Kosztolányi. It is a fine Victorian adventure story - a Magyar Rudyard Kipling if you will (Jókai also falls in this category.)

As for Kosztolányi, I enjoy him immensely for his playful. Yet below the surface there are always serious themes at work.

Attached: 624E1015-0AF2-4B67-8CD5-5C67D699C56E.jpg (4032x3024, 2.48M)

Are you dumb? Don't you have a bin or something, why are you clogging the toilet dumb fuck

He looks like my roommate

Because no toilet ever was clogged by fucking toilet paper. Why the fuck are you keeping literal shit around your bathroom?

Imagine being a fucking white trash inbred. Slit your fucking throat.

>I've some toilet paper in my trash

You fucking Indian nigger, how did you people get internet connections before you learned to shit properly

Attached: ---_1_1.jpg (500x726, 142K)

I'm whiter than you, inbred. I can't wait till your house is flooded with shit water.

Holy fuck, as a hungarian this is just sad. Now I understand the faggots who keep saying that translated literature and poetry is for brainlets and pseuds.

Can you elaborate on what makes the rendering of the text in English so abhorrent?

The reason I ask is that I am sympathetic to the view that there are many, many qualities intrinsic to a given poem in its native language that resist being transmuted into a separate language. I have this problem with translations from Romanian to English, principally, as I feel that many words simply have no direct equivalent in English, which despite its large vocabulary is seriously lacking in words which communicate deeply felt emotional states. "Dor" is one of them. "Alean" is "yearning" in English, which is somewhat acceptable, but still different for me in the context of spoken English qua spoken Romanian. In short what I suppose I am saying is what can you tell me, specifically, about the apparently poor quality of this translation?

Other than the fact that it sounds much worse ( it rolls of your tongue a lot more naturally in its original version ), the last 5 lines are just awful. Untranslatable words and phrases ( iramlik as trickles, for example. Iramlik implies a faster speed than trickling does. Also, tündöklő implies some degree of innate beauty compared to sparkling. ), poor pacing, and just awkwardness all around. I know it's impossible to create a perfect replica of the original across languages, but if I read his work in English I sure as hell wouldn't understand why people hype him up among hungarian poets. Hungarian is in an unfortunate position with regards to translation, since it's so isolated from anything else.

This guy gets it. Egri Csillagok is more of an adventure novel than high literature, but it is quite beloved nonetheless.

Being capable only of apprehending the poem in translation I still find it beautiful. I cannot make a statement as to his worth as a poet without reading more of his poems, but it is a very pleasant poem, being lyrical like early Celan and with an excellent sense of prosodic pace, like something by Trakl. Unless Szirtes has moved whole sentences around, the placement of words and phrases seem to correspond to their respective positions in the original to a degree, and even if they do not, their placement in English feels natural - or rather, does not feel unnatural.

>Holy fuck, as a hungarian this is just sad
EleGiggle

Which should I read first, Skylark or Kornel Esti?

Sure, it is nearly impossible to capture the precision, let alone the cadence in a translated Hungarian poem. However, this does not mean we should not read these in translation. Though these renditions may not do Hungarian literature justice, how else will the outside world be able to study, comprehend, and appreciate this tiny nation? Anyway, I feel that the compilers of this anthology did right to keep the original and translation side by side. An alement or authenticity remains.

For what it’s worth, my partner who is a native Hungarian, wasn’t so harsh on Szirtes’ attempt. Despite the translations faults, the final result was successsful. It still captures the mood and essence of the harvest, of adulthood, of a life as its peak. Like the ripe fruit in his poem, Kosztolányi’s life, though brilliant, ended far too soon.

Though both are accessible I would try Kornel Estimate first.