Favorite Quran translation?

Favorite Quran translation?

The main three in English are by Arberry, Pickhall and, Yusuf Ali (well actually the most common one is the Hilali-Khan translation, although that is completely due to Saudi shilling).

Arberry isn't a Muslim, although it is his field of expertise, which lead him to title his translation "The Koran Interpreted" (reason being is that Muslims don't consider translations of the Quran to be properly the Quran). It is a pretty literal translation and is widely extolled by academics. It aims to be beautiful and it certainly is, even if you aren't a Muslim you will deeply enjoy reading this translation.

24:33
>And let those who find not the means to marry be abstinent till God enriches them of His bounty. Those your right hands own who seek emancipation, contract with them accordingly, if you know some good in them; and give them of the wealth of God that He has given you. And constrain not your slave-girls to prostitution, if they desire to live in chastity, that you may seek the chance goods of the present life. Whosoever constrains them, surely God, after their being constrained, is All-forgiving, All-compassionate.

archive.org/details/QuranAJArberry

Pickhall was a talented English writer who converted to Islam. He titled his faithful translation, "The Meaning of the Glorious Koran". It's the one I prefer.

>And let those who cannot find a match keep chaste till Allah give them independence by His grace. And such of your slaves as seek a writing (of emancipation), write it for them if ye are aware of aught of good in them, and bestow upon them of the wealth of Allah which He hath bestowed upon you. Force not your slave-girls to whoredom that ye may seek enjoyment of the life of the world, if they would preserve their chastity. And if one force them, then (unto them), after their compulsion, lo! Allah will be Forgiving, Merciful.

sacred-texts.com/isl/pick/index.htm#contents

Yusuf Ali was a Shi'ite who converted to Sunni Islam. He was ardent Anglophile, which lead to his translation. The House of Saud endorsed this translation briefly before switching to a more Wahhabist translation.

>Let those who find not the wherewithal for marriage keep themselves chaste, until Allah gives them means out of His grace. And if any of your slaves ask for a deed in writing (to enable them to earn their freedom for a certain sum), give them such a deed if ye know any good in them: yea, give them something yourselves out of the means which Allah has given to you. But force not your maids to prostitution when they desire chastity, in order that ye may make a gain in the goods of this life. But if anyone compels them, yet, after such compulsion, is Allah, Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful (to them),

islam101.com/quran/yusufAli/

Attached: Kaaba1.jpg (648x432, 232K)

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=rhg-Th5DzNM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Pickthall for English
Jalandhari for Urdu

Is Maududi worth reading?

Who here speaks Arabic and has read the Quran in Arabic and multiple versions of English?

29:46

>Dispute not with the People of the Book save in the fairer manner, except for those of them that do wrong; and say, We believe in what has been sent down to us, and what has been sent down to you; our God and your God is One, and to Him we have surrendered.'

>And argue not with the People of the Scripture unless it be in (a way) that is better, save with such of them as do wrong; and say: We believe in that which hath been revealed unto us and revealed unto you; our God and your God is One, and unto Him we surrender.

>And dispute ye not with the People of the Book, except with means better (than mere disputation), unless it be with those of them who inflict wrong (and injury): but say, "We believe in the revelation which has come down to us and in that which came down to you; Our Allah and your Allah is one; and it is to Him we bow (in Islam)."

I don't speak or read much classical Arabic but I am learning

Why do they still use the word Allah instead of God in the English translation? Anyways, I prefer Arberry.

I don't want to read something pretty in English since I can read Arabic.

I like bone dry English translations for understand, of course with tafseer

Is the Khalidi translation any good?

Why don't you just listen to it, instead? It sounds lovelier listening and following the translation. I think this translation is from Saudi or Kuwait, can't remember. I speak Arabic, and it's a lot more precise.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=rhg-Th5DzNM

Allah is generally preferred by Muslims because it has no plural form

Dunno

It's loud and ear-piercing, gives me a headache. Do you not understand the delight of silent contemplation?

"The Study Quran" is an absolutely incredible resource. Its one volume that has an enormous amount of traditional commentary, explanations of arabic terms, references to hadith and other traditional sources as well as essays on specific topics relevant to modernity.

Its a treasure of a book, available for less than 50 dollars.

The Arabic is poetry and was always created with an intent to verbalize. Muhammed was illiterate after all

I will check it out, thank you

Thanks Chungus.

I'll try and pick up a copy.

I heard it has a Sufi bias and Allah is translated to God, among of issues.

Enjoy

God is the only English translation of Allah and not really objectionable, even if not a perfect translation. Although I am not a fan of Sufism

>bias

Everything is biased. Its no secret the authors come from a traditionalist/Sufi perspective. What makes the book good is the scholarship behind it which is exceptional. The references and commentary note multiple perspectives and include descriptions of historical debates about interpretation.

Is this a thinly veiled Christchurch thread? ;)

basic reader here but i like ali.
for academic shit ive used corpus.quran.com which has nine different english translations side by side.

Should I read the Quran?

Imagine the Old Testament edited to be coherent and without clutter (genealogies and so on removed, and the laws not being boring) and the narration told by God in the first person. Although that doesn't quite do the Quran justice, since in Arabic much of it is in rhymed verse and is held by most relevant academics to be the greatest work of Arabic literature.

>2050 pages

?

lol

Yes. Over an open flame. :3

>subscribe to Pewdiepie