Year to date

How's your reading for 2019 going? How many books have you read? What was your favorite one so far?

Attached: 1544743844607.jpg (1000x776, 235K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.co.uk/Rashomon-Seventeen-Stories-Penguin-Classics/dp/0140449701/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1552604507&sr=1-1&keywords=Rashomon and Seventeen Other Stories
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Probably around 15 philosophy books for school. 4 books for fun. Currently reading pic related to cool down a bit and have some nostalgic fun with these stories I used to read as a kid.

Attached: heroes.jpg (308x475, 30K)

I'm on A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man right now, book number 11.
So far I think The Pale King has been my favorite, but I read Gravity's Rainbow for the first time in January; I might reread it towards the end of the year, and I feel like a reread could elevate it to one of my all time favorite books. It's a whole lot to digest.

10 books. Best was probably man in the high castle. Worst was ready player one. I could write an essay on why it was the worst book I’ve ever read.

I’ve read 8 so far
Best - pic related

Attached: 79600F71-C12E-4087-B235-6C2357C0A243.jpg (263x406, 25K)

My first year getting into books. Im reading stoner and metamorphosis right now and im really enjoying it. I've only read 5 books so far this year, my favourite being Slaughterhouse five.

10 books

I've read 7 since February, currently reading The Lord of the Ring. Only saw the Hobbit movies, so I get the past references while discovering the plot of the trilogy. I'm liking it a lot, happy I picked 'em up.

I'm reading Dracula.

Attached: Screenshot_20190315-033414.jpg (1080x1920, 294K)

You honestly not only fully read, but liked Middlemarch?????

That's some shit trolling mate, or shit taste.

I'm reading 1q84 and it's boring

I’ve been on a sci-fi thing lately. Reading lord of light at the moment

Great
>Hyperion
>forever war
>fifth head of cerberus
>roadside picnic

Pretty good
>fall of Hyperion
>blindsight
>god emperor of dune

Good enough
>expanse book 3

Still got fire upon the deep, stranger in a strange land, ship of fools, rendezvous with Rama and City

I just dropped roadside picnic like 1/3 to 1/2 in. Convince me to pick it up again.

Attached: Capture.png (794x833, 158K)

The Mill on the Floss was a straight up struggle

dick

The final act is really good and makes it all worth it IMO. The middle section is a bit of a slog but it’s not a long book

Did you reach the end of part 1? In the middle of part 1 I dropped it for a few days too, now I'm glad I picked it back again. Part 2 starts great.

Take the huxley pill. You will love it

>What was your favorite one so far?
Probably "Silence."

Attached: books.jpg (1024x768, 232K)

I'm nearly finished with Hell Screen by Akutagawa. I'm loving his entire short stories so far I'm just a little annoyed Kappa wasn't in the collection I bought but otherwise pretty good. So far Hell Screen kind of reminds me of The Picture of Dorian Grey a little.

Isn't Akutagawa great? He reminds me a lot of Gogol somehow. Which collection are you reading?

This one.

amazon.co.uk/Rashomon-Seventeen-Stories-Penguin-Classics/dp/0140449701/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1552604507&sr=1-1&keywords=Rashomon and Seventeen Other Stories

I'm reading the Penguin one with the cartoon cover; I think it's the same translation.

*I recently read

That cover reminds me a little of gekiga manga like Yoshihiro Tatsumi.

Are you this user? What did you think of The Remains of the Day? It was one of the books that I've bought in the past two months that I'm going to start reading sometime soon. I thought Never Let Me Go was kind of boring but the first part was good.

I don't know what "gekiga" is or anything about manga or even about Japan, really. I've only acquired an interest in Japanese culture within the past month, and I don't really understand much of anything yet.

I enjoyed "The Remains of the Day" a lot. It was poignant and very easy to read. It was also, for me, a slightly new use of the unreliable narrator. The narrator, who's tactful to the point of obscurity, provides lots of funny moments. It's a good and very distinctive book. Sometimes it felt like "serious Wodehouse."

I watched the first 30 minutes of the film before switching it off. I know a lot of people regard the film very highly, and it does have a cast of great actors, but I found it a rough and uninventive translation of the book.