What books encompass the anime aesthetic?

What books encompass the anime aesthetic?

Attached: BaggyEasygoingDeinonychus-small.gif (500x280, 978K)

Other urls found in this thread:

danbooru.donmai.us/posts?tags=abe_yoshitoshi
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What you're looking for is visual novels.

Light Novels and Game of Thrones

looking for something more highbrow

Young Adult fiction

The anime aesthetic is low effort and easily digestible. You don't find this in literature because it has absolutely no depth.

The most highbrow visual novel is Subahibi, so I recommend that.

the anime aesthetic is high iq you fuck

Attached: nutbladder-hidamari-sketchc397honeycomb-01-3c2af32e_5-okt-2012-14-09-07.png (1280x720, 787K)

You're not doing a good job convincing anyone that this thread is a genuine request

mistborn

>it has absolutely no depth
But that's what makes it superior.

Just this season there are already 2 anime that referenced Dazai
Also everything in Aoi Bungaku

Strange Weather in Tokyo by Hiromi Kawakami

YA fiction. It's literally anime exactly.

Murakami's After Dark is essentially Durarara. Brothers Karamazov. Botchan.
>Just this season
Which two this season? BSD is in spring.

Most anime are quirky and creative in some way, unlike western YA that is more often than not an overblown glorification of normie sentiment. I think this is the aesthetic op is trying to get at. That's also why compared to anime there's almost nothing to take away from YA.

Attached: 1544922861252.jpg (1300x1300, 2.2M)

DomeKano and Boogiepop were what I had in mind.

They mentioned Dazai, for real? Well, great, more shit on backlog. Also what does Yea Forums think of Bungou Stray Dogs?

I'm not aware of BSD, but if you want more references Shirobako is flooded with names like Dostoyevsky and Beckett. Also the best multilingual puns I have known in my life.

The Bible
Quran

They basically had to rewrite the Waiting for Godot scene after getting sued. Tough luck for quoting someone who hasn't rotten away completely yet.

>Most anime are quirky and creative in some way
wow, comedies about cute high school girls sure are creative, especially when they all have the same boring artstyle with outsourced animation, eye-gougingly shitty CGI and disgustingly saccharine colours
all the "transported to a bafflingly generic fantasy world where I'm a god and not a nerd and pretty girls like me for no reason and I have a big peepee like the american whittu piggu whomst I hate" shows are sooooo much more creative than YA too

just face the fact that 99% of anime is trash with no artistic ambitions other than entertaining braindead weebs as cheaply as possible

Kapital

Attached: marx and engels.jpg (480x360, 50K)

Was not trying to hide this fact but I had to choose my words. However I still think you can't find an anime that embraces normie life and complacency in society, and that's why you can immediately tell them apart from actual chinese cartoons.

>BSD
>let's take classical authors and turn them into anime characters, then have them fight keikaku wars
This is their Dazai. It's got Fitzgerald, Dostoevsky, Gogol, Akutagawa, Natsume Soseki, Herman Melville, Edgar Allen Poe, etc.

Attached: Bungou-Stray-Dogs-Osamu-Dazai.iPhone-6-Plus-wallpaper-1080x1920.jpg (1080x1920, 371K)

>comics

Looking at that picture makes me kind of mad.

sorry, that one looks a little fujo-y. Manga art is non-gay.

Attached: 1295ed7cba2b3f5444d46fbc2c5e1fdf74453af1_00.jpg (327x512, 31K)

this looks incredibly gay
almost as homoerotic as photos of oscar wilde in fact

Attached: wilde.jpg (2173x2129, 359K)

Lolita

>almost as homoerotic as photos of oscar wilde

Oh my

>calls others gay
>finds photos of oscar wilde homoerotic
user, I...

Attached: 8e09aa067c4605523dbe08877facdb7b.png (550x775, 596K)

If you want that K-On style just read a Chabon novel.

The battles Mistborn are literally anime.

Mishima, Sound of Waves

Is there any actually good anime?

not everything in this chart is good, but a lot of it is, or at least stands out in some way
lots of nice arthouse and good cinematography in there, some shows with a good plot / characters (for anime at least)

start with Perfect Blue if you want the best the medium has to offer in film form

Attached: lit anime chart.jpg (2396x3430, 2.18M)

this is a good list. you got something like this but for films? been looking for a good film graph thats not just reddit tier shit

Sci-Fi
>Psycho-Pass, has literary references + not too badly written antagonists
>Patlabor 2, actually looks at repercussions of war
>Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans, kind of good if you don't mind teen heroes BS
>NGE, it's mandatory at this point
>Steins;Gate, more twisted repercussions of sci-fi -- if Outer Limits, Twilight Zone, or Black Mirror had a single ep running for several seasons

Fantasy
>12 Kingdoms, if you can forgive slow start + skip the last ~9 eps or so it takes a good look at what it really takes to rule vs. consequences of mishandled power & authority
>Rise of the Shield Hero, same but updated to modern audience
>Made in Abyss, don't look for spoilers/ best go in blind
>Paprika if you like difficulty differentiating between dreams & reality
>Animatrix, better than the original + it's in cine shorts
>Bride of the Ancient Magus, only time I've seen Celtic folklore handled well in animation

Slice of Life
>School Days, Mirai Nikki, or Higurashi if you like seeing shitty people getting fucked up brutally
>Yuyushiki or Lucky Star if you're a faggot or a Yea Forumstard
>Madoka if you, too, want to be a pretty little princess with our fallen lord & saviour Mootykinz
>Durarara if you want to pretend 4chin is useful, or that anonymoose might have been interesting if it hadn't split due to liberal ideals

There's plenty more, but it mostly depends on whether you see anime as anime or moving pictures. If you see things for the story/anime, you'll find many gems. If you only see moving pictures and freaky, massive eyes with disproportionate bodies and voices synced poorly to lips, nothing I mentioned is worthwhile and anime is a waste of your time.

Attached: facepaint.png (848x525, 660K)

Who drew this?

>best anime

>school days
>mirai nikki
>steins;gate

lmao what. Are you actually braindead?

Attached: 9Cg9s2f.png (414x146, 128K)

I saw perfect blue but it seemed like a random mediocre german thriller to me, sorry :/
I liked the visual shit on Akira and GITS tho. However both the plot and the themes were sort of shallow in these
The final chapters from NGE were ok I guess, but still it suffered from the narrative overdramatism and naivety I've always intuitively associated with anime
I'm considering giving NHK and Angel's Egg a try

>Can't read what they're best for
>Bosts jewjew ref
Nigga, the fuck back to plebbit.

Fucking non-Muzzie pseuds, I swear.

try The Tatami Galaxy, especially if you like campus novels. It might take a few episodes before you realize what’s going on, but once you do it gets incredibly interesting. I don’t really want to say any more but honestly just watch it.

Aiight, I'll try it, cheers!

Nigger, those are animus for plebs who think they smart smarts because animu boy does exposition xDD. those shows are vapid as fuck and anyone that thinks any of them represent the medium deserves death

I like 80s mecha shows like zeta gundam and also cozy shows like patlabor (tv) what should i read?

Attached: 1540059159507.jpg (1440x1080, 193K)

mmmmkys

its /a meme, dont watch that shit

Subahibi is the definition of pretentious. It constantly shoehorns in philosophers and philosophical ideas just because the author finds them interesting and they end up having to do with the overall narrative or themes. Invention was the only good chapter, all of the characters besides Mamiya were trash. The whole situation with the main characters mental illness was just a poorly written clusterfuck that served no purpose besides making the first few chapters more interesting upon reread.

If you want a VN where the philosophical ideas actually suit the narrative read umienko. Though frankly it’s not nearly as philosophical as subahibi is, or at least tries to be.

maybe if you tried reading the chart above you you might find redemption

book like this? this is one of the few anime that i would call literary it has the aesthetic that tanizaki was talking about in his in praise of shadows essay.

woops

Attached: 230px-Windy_Tales_cover.jpg (230x326, 29K)

>Psycho-Pass, has literary references + not too badly written antagonists
the definition of pseud trash, derivative cyberpunk with a convienience-based plot, sprinkled with entry-level lit references and the antagonist is an edgy gary stu WE LIVE IN A SOCIETY white haired stereotype
>School Days
fucking garbage
>Mirai Nikki
trashy popcorn show, I enjoyed it as a teen but I still thought it was fucking dumb, especially near the end
>Durarara
Baccano is better and it's still just Tarantino: the Anime, entertaining but still

Attached: game of thrones animu.jpg (1200x1781, 298K)

Tatami Galaxy is a lot like NHK but way prettier (both are very good), Angel's Egg is very visual arthouse
you seem to undervalue visuals, anime is a mainly visual medium, even more so than film since animation gives you more creative freedom

the direction in Perfect Blue is genius but the layered narrative is great as well, as are the themes of manufactured celebrity identities, the seamless blending of reality and illusion, escapist fantasy etc.

yes, based god right here. school days and mirai nikki are god tier trash

Brandon Sanderson

Chimera ant arc of Hunter x Hunter has a few extremely well written characters, for an anime anyway.

Didn’t mean to reply

>animation gives you more creative freedom
Yeah it should be like that. What disappoints me about anime is that it doesn't show. I guess good animation is also more expensive than good film so that's probably part of the problem
>the direction in Perfect Blue is genius but the layered narrative is great as well
That's your opinion mane, I found it sort of trite

>What disappoints me about anime is that it doesn't show
I agree with most anime
watch something by Masaaki Yuasa like Tatami Galaxy or Kaiba
>That's your opinion mane
didn't you at least appreciate the use of animation to surreal effect like in every scene with the pop idol persona, her unreal "skipping" movement and switching between her image and her real identity near the end?
I just love how the film uses its realistic artstyle to better highlight the surreal elements, it's a great use of the medium

gonna try watching tatami galaxy tonight. been meaning to watch it so i might as well just jump in, thank you

School Days is a Greek tragedy in spirit that ended up as a high school anime

Sorry honey, but R07 is and always will be the true king of VNs. Higurashi = Umineko > Higanbana 1 > 2 > RGD = Iwaihime > Trianthology

Attached: 1507276038854s.jpg (125x125, 3K)

Episode 9 when

According to reverse image search, an artist named Yoshitoshi Abe. Go nuts.

danbooru.donmai.us/posts?tags=abe_yoshitoshi

didn't know the lain character designer did fanart lmao

>if you draw for something successful, you're not allowed to draw anything else for the rest of your life
what a world that would be

>I saw perfect blue but it seemed like a random mediocre german thriller to me, sorry :/
I don't particularly like the movie, but it does explore negative themes related to the idol culture in Japan.
NGE has a lot of parallels to contemporary Japan. Distant father's figure, feeling of hopelessness and inadequacy, difficulties communicating to the other gender, stifled sexuality etc.
Angel's Egg is ok, but to a large degree form over substance imo.

Dude it's a parody of yoshitoshi abe, the character is from oreimo (god-tier trash imouto)

>this entire post

>engaging in escapism with some of the most insipid media ever produced.
>"but anime is not for normies I swear!"

Welcome to NHK is better than any american equivalent. US cape shit is the lowest artform that has ever existed in history

>Welcome to NHK is better than any american equivalent
well yeah, that's becaue it's one of the few anime worth watching

Read Dragon head. Absolutely great after apocalypse realistic survival. I wish there was more like it. Everyrone should read it and watch the anime betterman

If by 'anime' you mean isekai and moe, then you're right
If by 'anime' you mean Japanese animation, then it's more complicated

Don Quixote unironically

Detailed lists of grievances like this always make me laugh. You know this guy must have burned out real hard on anime. Within a season or two is the lifecycle of casual weebs. Kind of sad that pleb opinion is being used in defense of YA, you've really earned my pity.

Subahibi is the exact opposite of pretentious. Everything is conveyed with the utmost sincerity and precision and it does not need the length of the meandering trainwreck that is Umineko to get its point across. Umineko is derivative of other meta mystery writers of the Japanese Shinhonkaku tradition and, like DDLC, it dazzles Western EOPs who don't know any better. Learn to be JOP pleb.

Good taste

>Kind of sad that pleb opinion is being used in defense of YA, you've really earned my pity.
I'm not defending YA, I'm just speaking my mind about the general mediocrity of most anime, which is what got you so mad as a pride weeb.
Of course anime is a more diverse medium and of course there is some good anime out there, but don't act like most of it is anything other than cheaply-made by the numbers escapism, no better than YA.

I think the main point is there are good anime out there that have more creative vision than muh capitalism (and we can expect to have more of them) but there are no good YA. Just by the sheer amount of anime produced, most Yea Forums-tier anime could be found in the high hundreds on popularity rankings.

In general I think there's far more to take away from Japanese 'low culture' compared to western popular culture, and Japan's one of the only places where normies and wagecucks are routinely stigmatized.

I don't see how something that revolves around the most vulgar topics imaginable while blanketing them with highbrow (and lowbrow) references could be pretentious. You might not like it, but eclecticism is an aesthetic.

well yeah, anime is a medium while YA is a targer demographic
>Japan's one of the only places where normies and wagecucks are routinely stigmatized
isn't japan famous for its workaholics and exacting social standards?
of course a medium targeted towards nerds would criticise both, but is that really reflective of the broader japanese culture?

>isn't japan famous for its workaholics and exacting social standards?
Exactly why japs need their escapism to get out of wagecucking unlike western npc chads feeling good about themselves

Art doesn't come out of normies.

>eclecticism is an aesthetic
doesn't mean it's a good aesthetic

Haibane Renmei (the GOAT television show of any medium or genre, and required viewing in my upcoming Holy Roman Empire) was directly influenced by Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World.
Only in setting though, not in content.

Attached: 1452309933242.jpg (2000x1457, 1.28M)

norwegian wood.

>and it does not need the length of the meandering trainwreck that is Umineko
Not op, but tbf subahibi has a really shitty pace. You could remove A LOT from the vn, zaruko and her chapter being the most obvious. Most characters are not developed (also, the bullies are a fucking joke) and ayana is unnecessary/pretentious

That's fucking stupid. The anime aesthetic isn't "high brow"

zakuro*

Fascist Books

Attached: 1547251763924.jpg (724x1024, 168K)

Texhnolyze was better.

ayana is fine, but you're right about characterisation and motivations being paperthin for most of subahibis cast

Welcome to VNs. Every single longer VN, with no exceptions, has pacing problems and is too long.

What do people love about this show so much? The first 5 episodes were pretty comfy and the bit with Rakka getting rescued from the well was good - also the inside of the walls is beautiful - but other than that it didn't really do that much for me and the drama seemed kind of forced

Yeah that's how I felt about it. It just didn't do anything. Abe is a better artist than writer IMO.

It works well as a comfy, low-key, impressionistic exploration of the purgatory theme it uses as its setting. Aren't you just disappointed because you expected something that could rival the depth of a 120.000+ word book? That just isn't how film functions as a medium.

I thought that NGE and Tatami Galaxy were great though, EoE and episode 10 of Tatami in particular are absolutely fantastic. Perfect Blue is also amazing. The Night is Short, Walk on Girl isn't deep by any means but is unbelievably visually creative
>That just isn't how film functions as a medium
Oh wait you're not even just talking about anime, film isn't my forte so these are all entry level but Eraserhead, Barry Lyndon and Un homme qui dort all come to mind, Un homme qui dort in particular because having read the book and the film I am confident in saying that nothing important got lost, its a perfect adaptation while still adding things that only cinema can do.

explain the superior appeal of tatami galaxy over haibane pls